You can type here any text you want

Information On Old ATR Billet Roller Cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboJoe3.8

Looking to see if anyone has any info on an old ATR Hydraulic roller cam.

Model No. RP309H Hydraulic roller
Advertised duration: Intake 276 degrees/ Exhaust 272 degrees
Duration @ .050 lift: Intake 214 degrees/ Exhaust 210 degrees
Lift with 1.65 rockers: Intake .548 / Exhaust .536
Lift with 1.55 rockers: Intake .515/ Exhaust .504
Lobe Seperation: 109 degrees
Overlap: 56 degrees
Notes say "Smooth idle/ for modified engines"

Anyone ever heard of this cam, or run this cam setup?
What kind of stall speed convertor would you need to run with this cam?
Supporting mods?
Any info on this cam is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Joe

That is an excellent grind, and used a few of them in the past.

We still use a modified version of that grind in low 10, high 9 cars with hydraulic rollers. :smile:

The ATR version uses a unique front nose retention set up that works fine if you have all the right pieces.

Converter choice will also be determined be the turbo specs, so cannot comment without that info.

Joe,
As Nick said it is an excellent choice cam grind. I am running this ATR cam with mild ported heads 109 block with 20 over J/E's with stock compression. Some supporting mods are 9X11 convertor 3200-3400 and a TE-62. Best 60' with DR is a 1.59. HTH.

Just my .02.. Run a bronze type cam-sensor gear (purchase from TA performance) as my stock one wore out in less that 1000 miles...

Guys, thanks for the replies!

Nick, looking at using a Precision GT6776 Dual ballbearing turbo, big valve ported iron heads and intake, .30 over forged pistons, billet center main caps, 60lb injectors., 9x11 3300 convertor.

NC87GN, thanks for the tip on the nose hardware from TA performance- my new setup looks to be pretty similiar to yours.

:D

The 3300 stall converter may be ok, but I would go with a 3600-3800 personally. :)

If this cam is ATR like you stated, make SURE the nose hardware including timing gear is all compatible. The cam nose was machined unique to ATR specs, and I believe even the cam gear is machined somewhat, so a bronze one would not work as purchased. :confused:

The ATR set up is good, just different than what is used currently.

Nick, thanks again- I will make sure all the supporting 'nose' pieces are there before I purchase- I'll try to sell the 9x11 3300, I thought I heard wrong when the guy who is selling the cam said he used a 4500 stall with it :eek: in a stage 2 motor , planning on going with the 1.55 rockers, too. :biggrin:

The 3300 stall converter may be ok, but I would go with a 3600-3800 personally. :)

If this cam is ATR like you stated, make SURE the nose hardware including timing gear is all compatible. The cam nose was machined unique to ATR specs, and I believe even the cam gear is machined somewhat, so a bronze one would not work as purchased. :confused:

The ATR set up is good, just different than what is used currently.

Ive got one of these. it uses an aluminum spacer and a bronze thrust washer. It looks like the cam could be machined further to accept the plate/roller bearing style thrust assembly. Id bet its a hard cut though.

Ive got one of these. it uses an aluminum spacer and a bronze thrust washer. It looks like the cam could be machined further to accept the plate/roller bearing style thrust assembly. Id bet its a hard cut though.

Brian- thanks for the reply!

I was planning on going with the newer styler roller set-up, but a super deal on this cam just fell into my lap!

I will probably need your guys help when it comes to install time, especially trying to figure what goes on first (aluminum spacer and a bronze thrust washer)

Hopefully, someone will come forward with the degreeing specs on it.

:)

Brian- thanks for the reply!

I was planning on going with the newer styler roller set-up, but a super deal on this cam just fell into my lap!

I will probably need your guys help when it comes to install time, especially trying to figure what goes on first (aluminum spacer and a bronze thrust washer)

Hopefully, someone will come forward with the degreeing specs on it.

:)

The cam gear goes on, then the aluminum spacer, then the cam sensor gear, the the bolt. The thrust washer will slide on from the back over the journals.

Rollmaster and id order a .004 under. You may need to machine the back of the gear as Nick stated. Not sure because mine came with a gear and its not a Rollmaster

I had this same cam setup bought from Cottons way back in the day, and it was just in a street car I never even got to the track. It had awesome street manners and really ran good with champ irons, a 3200 vigilante lock up, and a cpt-65 (not sure of the specs but a 4" inlet). The lifters that came with it were some Speed Pro SBC style with a shrouded wheel. Was very quite never had noise like so many complain of.

Anyways the valve springs in that ATR kit were defective. I spoke with Tom at Champion and he told me there were lots of complaints of the inner springs breaking way back in early 2000 when these kits were popular. The inner springs broke and chewed up my valve seal guides. I put a new set of springs and seals on, and even pre-oiled the setup before start up and some how one of the lobes started to wipe on the cam. Was running Royal Purple synthetic too. So maybe I'm a dumbass and did something wrong or just had bad luck, but I was real bummed that I had to replace that cam. I should have called Nick Micale and ordered a replacement billet, also have seen Weber has these billets with similar grinds. Anyways I called Cotton and he sold me a Comp 206/206 .490 lift roller. I liked the way the ATR grind drove better :frown:

If you want any pics of the ATR setup I can give post them up, And I still have the original paperwork that came with the cam with specs if you want me to scan them or fax them to you. It did say to install straight up and not to advance or retard at all.

Also of note on my roller failure, I had read on this site that Royal Purple is too slick and not to run it with a roller cam. It wont let the wheel spin the way it should causing failure. It kind of sounds like a stretch too me, but maybe. Anyone heard this before?

I had this same cam setup bought from Cottons way back in the day, and it was just in a street car I never even got to the track. It had awesome street manners and really ran good with champ irons, a 3200 vigilante lock up, and a cpt-65 (not sure of the specs but a 4" inlet). The lifters that came with it were some Speed Pro SBC style with a shrouded wheel. Was very quite never had noise like so many complain of.

Anyways the valve springs in that ATR kit were defective. I spoke with Tom at Champion and he told me there were lots of complaints of the inner springs breaking way back in early 2000 when these kits were popular. The inner springs broke and chewed up my valve seal guides. I put a new set of springs and seals on, and even pre-oiled the setup before start up and some how one of the lobes started to wipe on the cam. Was running Royal Purple synthetic too. So maybe I'm a dumbass and did something wrong or just had bad luck, but I was real bummed that I had to replace that cam. I should have called Nick Micale and ordered a replacement billet, also have seen Weber has these billets with similar grinds. Anyways I called Cotton and he sold me a Comp 206/206 .490 lift roller. I liked the way the ATR grind drove better :frown:

If you want any pics of the ATR setup I can give post them up, And I still have the original paperwork that came with the cam with specs if you want me to scan them or fax them to you. It did say to install straight up and not to advance or retard at all.

Also of note on my roller failure, I had read on this site that Royal Purple is too slick and not to run it with a roller cam. It wont let the wheel spin the way it should causing failure. It kind of sounds like a stretch too me, but maybe. Anyone heard this before?

Abomb- thanks for the post! Glad you liked the ATR.
Would you please post up pictures of the ATR setup, or email them to me?
Also, would you scan the original paperwork with the cam specs and email them to me at: twobad4utoo@aol.com?
Thanks,
Joe :D

What parts am I missing for the front retention setup?

Attachments

• P1010990 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010990 (600 x 450).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 233
  • P1010991 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010991 (600 x 450).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 237
Might have some of your missing parts.

Hi, Applied technologies made two roller grinds, the one you have, and the smaller version which I have in the below Sig. Prior to installation, I had called Dan at DLS. I sent him my ATR cam, the original aluminum spacer and sensor drive gear. He machined it, and gave me all the pieces to make the thrust assembly that he uses. It was just a tad over $220.00 but you will need to call him to verify price, if interested. I still have the original cam bolt and spring loaded thrust from the ATR kit. If you need that I will give it to you

I use that cam, I sent it to Weber and had him change it over to a torrington set-up, it works very well, excellent street manners and pulls very hard. 9.5" precision converter.
Mike

Back