Input for improving a rebuild 2004r that has Transgo HD2 kit w/dual feed

This 4140 pressure plate, Is this the $125 unit with the minimum order of five? And the aluminum apply ring, is this a complete piston or just a ring inserted in there? Thanks

I want to thank all who added info, this is the great tech this place is famous for.
That's correct.

11de12df5b4d3bc454174f40580b4575.jpg
75+ hits. Car runs mid 9’s.
b865239e15e062db8c44fa9242117dfc.jpg

This stuff is available to buy as well as replacement stock style plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts: You never run thinner than .090" plates especially near the snap ring. There are no magical parts to keep 3rd alive. When setting up a clutch pack with blue plates, you need to use 5 to 6 oversize steels to get proper clearance. Period. I don't give out the clearance info as I am asked by builders often. There is no need to cut the pressure plate unless the pressure plate is oversized. You always want the thicker steels at top of the stack up. An understanding as to characteristics of how a blue plate works along with apply function helps with this determination.

Blue plates have an interesting apply. They slide and then spike apply without harshness. They are a power absorbing clutch that performs with very little wear, has excellent fatigue strength, high durability and quick shifts with little shock. They give optimum performance with standard OE steels and transfer energy without ever overheating or warping steel plates under all race condition. This being said, to summarize they will work with reduced pressures, have better rebound qualities, reduced shock during a shift, uses .090" OE steels with reduced risk of overheating the steel plates and can withstand more power per plate with excellent fatigue strength.

It is important to get the direct drum to seal. If it doesn't seal, there will be issues no matter what the pressure you supply. Excessive pressure actually will beat up parts and shortens trans life.

I have been using blue plates since 1992 when most new builders were still in grade school. These clutches can take a beating when used correctly. As Mr Spool posted, I with the help of Lee Thompson's samples I made the Direct Billet Apply Ring about seven years back and I have supplied them to customer's for years. Remember this is nothing new as Sonnax had a billet apply ring back in the 90's and it was discontinued in 2010. Check out the picture of the Sonnax piece. I also use in my Pro Plus a billet direct piston which is better than any apply ring and makes for the ultimate direct clutch pack. See picture...

I also now offer a HD pressure plate for the 200-4R that is 20x stronger than the stock replacement pressure plate available, but 75% on average the strength of 4140 in mechanical properties, but identical in thermal properties. I have plenty on hand for anyone needing them. See Picture below

When using Blue Plates, I use data for my setup from testing I did with Level 10 with the engineers of the clutch. We were able to get lots of data on this clutch in 200-4R operation. Using it correctly will benefit you dramatically. I have used this setup successfully since the early 90's. They are a very aggressive clutch and designed more for racing. I recommend my Red Metallic 7 clutch pack for a street car in the 10's with my billet apply ring and HD Pressure Plate. But both work great if installed correctly.

Mr Spool's vehicle has blue plates, 6 - .100" oversize steels and a factory GM pressure plate as I have done for almost 26 year. The trans works like the day it was installed with thousand of passes and a lot of street driving. It is faster than most cars talked about here. No magical parts, just a performance build from Dave Husek at Turbo Buick Performance.

I have given a lot of info to other builders that use my information, but I do keep a lot of the important not seen stuff secret. If you are looking for a quality transmission, that works and lasts, or just need the proper parts to do it your self, give Dave Husek at Turbo Buick Performance a call 516-285-1103.

Pro Plus Direct Clutch Pack.jpg

Pressure Plate.jpg

Billet Pistons.jpg

Pressure Plate 2.jpg

TBP Billet Apply Ring.jpg

Sonnax_Top.jpg

Sonnax_Botttom.jpg

Last edited:
My thoughts: You never run thinner than .090" plates especially near the snap ring. There are no magical parts to keep 3rd alive. When setting up a clutch pack with blue plates, you need to use 5 to 6 oversize steels to get proper clearance. Period. I don't give out the clearance info as I am asked by builders often. There is no need to cut the pressure plate unless the pressure plate is oversized. You always want the thicker steels at top of the stack up. An understanding as to characteristics of how a blue plate works along with apply function helps with this determination.

Blue plates have an interesting apply. They slide and then spike apply without harshness. They are a power absorbing clutch that performs with very little wear, has excellent fatigue strength, high durability and quick shifts with little shock. They give optimum performance with standard OE steels and transfer energy without ever overheating or warping steel plates under all race condition. This being said, to summarize they will work with reduced pressures, have better rebound qualities, reduced shock during a shift, uses .090" OE steels with reduced risk of overheating the steel plates and can withstand more power per plate with excellent fatigue strength.

It is important to get the direct drum to seal. If it doesn't seal, there will be issues no matter what the pressure you supply. Excessive pressure actually will beat up parts and shortens trans life.

I have been using blue plates since 1992 when most new builders were still in grade school. These clutches can take a beating when used correctly. As Mr Spool posted, I with the help of Lee Thompson's samples I made the Direct Billet Apply Ring about seven years back and I have supplied them to customer's for years. Remember this is nothing new as Sonnax had a billet apply ring back in the 90's and it was discontinued in 2010. Check out the picture of the Sonnax piece. I also use in my Pro Plus a billet direct piston which is better than any apply ring and makes for the ultimate direct clutch pack. See picture...

I also now offer a HD pressure plate for the 200-4R that is 20x stronger than the stock replacement pressure plate available, but 75% on average the strength of 4140 in mechanical properties, but identical in thermal properties. I have plenty on hand for anyone needing them. See Picture below

When using Blue Plates, I use data for my setup from testing I did with Level 10 with the engineers of the clutch. We were able to get lots of data on this clutch in 200-4R operation. Using it correctly will benefit you dramatically. I have used this setup successfully since the early 90's. They are a very aggressive clutch and designed more for racing. I recommend my Red Metallic 7 clutch pack for a street car in the 10's with my billet apply ring and HD Pressure Plate. But both work great if installed correctly.

Mr Spool's vehicle has blue plates, 6 - .100" oversize steels and a factory GM pressure plate as I have done for almost 26 year. The trans works like the day it was installed with thousand of passes and a lot of street driving. It is faster than most cars talked about here. No magical parts, just a performance build from Dave Husek at Turbo Buick Performance.

I have given a lot of info to other builders that use my information as there own. My mistake, but I do keep a lot of the important not seen stuff secret. If you are looking for a quality transmission, that works and lasts, or just need the proper parts to do it your self, give Dave Husek at Turbo Buick Performance a call 516-285-1103.

View attachment 317841

View attachment 317859

View attachment 317861

View attachment 317853

View attachment 317860

View attachment 317856

View attachment 317855
Great post Dave! Guys he's taught me a lot over the years, great tech in this thread.

I would like to thank David Husek for his expertise, time on the phone and quality parts with detailed instructions. The transmission is all back together with the dual feed corrected and valve body recalibration along with new forward and direct clutch packs setup to work with the complete package. It may be a month before the trans is back in the car, I will update then!

Thanks David!

Update time,
Yesterday I installed the transmission and ran test/break in procedures. This morning I took the car for break in test drive. The transmission performed flawlessly! Working up to WOT full auto and manual 1/4 mile test passes all expectations were achieved! David Husek diagnosed the problems the transmission had and supplied the expertise and parts. This was just the second time I had worked on a 2004r, David walked me through all the procedures to properly install, clearance and test each section of the transmission.

David went above and beyond to help me correct this transmission. (This was not originally built by TBP) Most transmission builders would only way send it in and we will fix it ...... And then you get a bill and pray it works! David saved me not only shipping costs but only sold me what was necessary to correct and improve the transmissions performance.

It is so refreshing to work with someone who is a professional and provides over the top customer service!

Thank you David!