You can type here any text you want

Installing 86-87 headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikemcvaney

Did not want to hijack the other thread. So why cant you install 87 headers on a carb car? If you change the pulleys and brackets and make a new uppipe the uppipe is only a couple of inches forward from a hot air header. Are they wider than hot air headers? The reason i am asking is you can buy brand new 87 headers and im not to sure I wont be joining Nailheads thoughts on a carb turbo. Will the DP clear 87 headers?

I would see no reason why not. I wasnt even planning on building a new up-pipe. Was just going to cut the passenger header between the #2 and #4 primaries and weld in a new portion and put it in the stock location.

If you dont have AC it would work fine with stock accessories.

You would need all the brackets of an 86-87 car to make it work but other than that it's now a big deal. I think Aj looked at this before.;)

I would see no reason why not. I wasnt even planning on building a new up-pipe. Was just going to cut the passenger header between the #2 and #4 primaries and weld in a new portion and put it in the stock location.

The drivers side header, and the crossover are bascially the same as the 83/85. The only thing we need is a passenger side header. The hot air guys (84/85) are in the same boat with us. If someone making the 86/87 PS header were willing to mke is turn up for us, then we would be great shape. Or modifying like you suggest.

Im not really worried about the turn up if needed the pulleys and brackets can be converted pretty cheap there has been alot of 86 -87 parted out plus not really hip on cutting up brand new stainless headers thats one of the reasons it is being considered new parts noleaks or weling cracks for a while.

What if the alternator is moved to the drivers side, and no A/C?

Moving the alterantor to the driver's side is tricky. I think the big HEI distrbutor would get in the way if you tried to use the 86/87 set up.

You might not need to move it if you ditch the AC and SMOG pump. I have a small alternator bracket from a '78 Buick 350.
attachment.php

I would be ditching A/C and smog, as well as P/S even, and I could put the alternator anywhere. I will probably use one from a Suzuki Samurai or similar, real small Nippondenso type unit.

So, with that said, could you feasibly use a pair on a carbed turbo, like my Lesabre?

Shoot, now I'm hijacking a thread! Sorry!

If you can get the accessory stuff out of the way, then there should be no reason why you can't use 86/87 headers on a carb/turbo. You would just need to fabricate a longer up-pipe.

The rear portion of the passenger side header is the same for 83/85 and 86/87. Its the front/outlet that is different. This is for stock style headers - aftermarket designs (which is what you might be asking about) would be a crap shoot. Hot air (84/85) guys might be able to give you a better answer. Their downpipes are routed similar to ours.

What years does that bracket come on? The 87 has a differant part number than hot air crossover.

I found my bracket in the junkyard on a 1978 Regal. Needs to be a non AC. The V6 and 350 bracket are the same for sure. Might even be the same as a big block buick, but I'm not certain on that.

Here's some more opinions on the crossover. Unfortunately there is no definate answer in the thread. The pipes in the picture are slightly different, but we don't know if the pipes in the picture are new, used, or whatever (or how well the other end is matched up).
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/crossover-q.354077/

Not that it helps, but I have 1980 manifolds on my car with the 1983 crossover and uppipe. The ball & socket joints are pretty forgiving.

You can find them on evilbay once in a while as well. I've got 1 for my 68 LeSabre so I can put the 350 back together one of these days.

the problem is finding a bracket to move things to the drivers side. with the dizzy in the way it compounds the problem. if you mount the alternator to the head then the pullys are way out front. just not a good thing.

IMHO the cast are more then enough for 90% of us. Heat not Flow

the problem is finding a bracket to move things to the drivers side. with the dizzy in the way it compounds the problem. if you mount the alternator to the head then the pullys are way out front. just not a good thing.

IMHO the cast are more then enough for 90% of us. Heat not Flow
Not running the factory dist personally think the hole sytem is a joke putting in a mallory and MSDBTM and do not see any sense in putting cast iron manifolds on a4.1 full roller motor with worked heads, intake and turbo

i dont think you will pick much up to be honest with you.......... in fact, id be willing to bet you will slow down by a 10th.

I'm going to start with the stock manifolds. I found a second set which I will have extrude honed.

Back