You can type here any text you want

Installing body bushings tonight. Have a question.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buddy

So I just removed all body bolts and removed bumpers and power steering reservoir hose.
I'm going to jack up the body a couple inches and slip these babies in.
Question:
Should I use the sleeves that came with the prothane kit? I noticed they weren't pictured in kirban reproduction kit and they don't appear to be in the factory bushings.
Any last words of encouragement or tips or advice??
Thanks
Rich

you need the sleeves in the prothane or energy susp bushings

i dont remove the ps hoses ..too much chance of the reservoir breaking , easier to just unbolt reservoir from fender bracket
also unlock the ignition

Someone else had said in another thread about this to get a piece of 2x4 to put between body and frame incase something went wrong so you don't loose a hand or fingers.Sounded like a GOOD idea.

A block of wood as a prevention measure is good advice. At the very least have someone help you. I am not 100% sure but another area of concern is making sure you don;t separate the body from the frame too much in the back to avoid having a fuel line burst.

Also recommend you use all new grade 8 bolts for the project.

Perhaps if you are somewhat lucky you can get the car back on the frame straighter than Buick did! Every Regal is off center slightly from the factory....it was never corrected. Quality control was not the number one concern.....if it was the paint and body fit would have been a tad better!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thanks for the replies guys and Dennis yes I bought your grade 8 kit. Everything went real smooth and we replaced all of them in about 3 hours. #7 was a bit rusted out so I have to do a small patch and get a nut on top. #3 had to drill out the bolt so I'm going to bolt the top also. Can't wait to get it on the road again to see how it feels.

This is actually a pretty simple procedure. If you have knock around sense you will find your way easy enough. Take your time...number 1. Safety yes....since you are putting things into an area that can collapse on you. Do not lift on the floor board, lift easily with a small jack on the corners of the body outside the frame. The middle bushing needs to be taken out first to allow you angle clearance to get to the front ones (not radiator) and the under seat ones. I disconnect and actually replace the E brake lines at this time as well. The more concerning thing is finding frame rot around the bushing. That would require a partial frame separation and re-welding of the frame....which is a little more complex but doable on car.

Back