Intake off center on center?

kraus

Ok I am lil confused on off center on center stuff stuff here. Let me explain.....

Was told stage 2 heads need intake to go with them on center or off center comes in play!

But non stage or production heads 109 intake works?

I'm having a ON center stage 2 bottom end being built. But I'm am using my TA SI heads . Which is a production head.

So my 109 intake will work with this being I am keeping the heads or no?

I'm confused as crap i know 109 pan wont work, motor mounts are differnt for stage 2. And if run stage heads headers change also from 109. The rest I'm confused so any clarity be helpful.

your stock intake will work on the ta heads with your on center motor
I’m a little confused.

Unless there’s something about the TA heads I don’t know anything about , An off-center intake only works on off-center motor. And an on-center intake only works on an on-center motor.

The heads will work on both on-center and off-center motors.

Did something change? did I miss something ?

your stock intake will work on the ta heads with your on center motor

That is incorrect, There is a reason they are called on center and off center. They are not compatible. That's why Champion makes both on center and off center intakes.

The banks of the on center block are shifted to center the piston over the crank pin. Unless you modify the stock intake runners and bolt holes it won't fit.

Maybe this will help you visualize the difference. The driver's side bank is actually closer to the core support and the passenger side bank is closer to the firewall with the on center block .
This is an exaggerated example, the shift is actually only a little over .100

Stage 2 head require a stage 2 intake because of port configuration and vice versa with stock heads.

The port configuration is entirely different than bank shift so typically a on center block will need a on center intake to match either stock style or stage heads.

Was told stage 2 heads need intake to go with them on center or off center comes in play!
Stage 2 heads can go on either block. On-center or off-center. A stock type intake won't work on these heads at all. Furthermore, you would need an on-center or off-center intake, dependent on your block type.
But non stage or production heads 109 intake works?
You can put production style heads on an on-center block. But A 109 intake never works on an on-center set-up without some very creative fabrication work (basically impossible for most). You can get an aftermarket (Champion) intake that is production styled in an on-center configuration though.
So my 109 intake will work with this being I am keeping the heads or no?
No. It will not. You will need an on-center intake. Basically, if your building an on-center set-up, you will never be able to use that intake ever again.
I'm confused as crap i know 109 pan wont work, motor mounts are differnt for stage 2. And if run stage heads headers change also from 109. The rest I'm confused so any clarity be helpful.
An 84-85 TR oil pan works with most stage blocks, both off and on-center. If you run stage-2 heads you will never be able to use the headers meant to bolt-up to any TR ever again.

Welcome to the world of stage blocks. It's a steep learning curve. And it ain't cheap. Practice your creative skills. But once you get it, it seems like no big deal afterwards.

I have the exact motor you are wanting to build it’s a on center block with TA SE heads
With a on center champion intake manifold. With a on center block the bores are shifted a 1/8” so everything from a 109 will work except the intake manifold . Another thing you need with a oncenter build is to space out the cam sensor drive gear and the balancer . But those aren’t as big of a deal as it sounds as TA makes spacers for this .here is acouple pictures in one you can see the spacer for the balancer.

Attachments

• 66C10DD7-A72D-4112-B109-6464310FDB89.jpeg
    66C10DD7-A72D-4112-B109-6464310FDB89.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 990278A5-72AF-4166-9089-69DFF8C81B9B.jpeg
    990278A5-72AF-4166-9089-69DFF8C81B9B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • D1609879-CB61-42BE-ADA3-C73EA273655C.jpeg
    D1609879-CB61-42BE-ADA3-C73EA273655C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
Alright thanks for clearing this up everyone. So I will need to get a on center intake then to make sure it all fits and works without modifying a setup.

Correct u need the champion race on center intake manifold. That is if u plan on using production style heads. Second you need a cam shaft with the odd fire nose setup . Not a odd fire cam u need just the nose section of the cam shaft design. Comp should know exactly what u r talking about. The reason is the 1/8” shim needs to shim out the cam gear drive . Instead of shimming the cam and balancer u could shave off the entire timing cover 1/8” aswell if u wanted to go that route .

Correct u need the champion race on center intake manifold. That is if u plan on using production style heads. Second you need a cam shaft with the odd fire nose setup . Not a odd fire cam u need just the nose section of the cam shaft design. Comp should know exactly what u r talking about. The reason is the 1/8” shim needs to shim out the cam gear drive . Instead of shimming the cam and balancer u could shave off the entire timing cover 1/8” aswell if u wanted to go that route .
thanks again for the help