You can type here any text you want

Interchangeable radios??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
I have been wondering about installing a stock radio out of a newer vehical into my T-Type.
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe W/Bose system and love it.

1). Would something like this work?
2). Which year, Make & Model would work & fit the best?

What i'm looking for is the "Stock look" but still have a modern stereo and sound compared to the orriginal GN stereo.

The larger stereo's in the GM line look like they would fit good..

Stereo guy's, Let's hear what will fit the best.

Scot W.

I guess knowone has done this!

IF ANYONE HAS A GOOD USED STEREO, HEAD UNIT PLEASE CONTACT ME!

Scot W.

Many of them are the same size but you need to make or buy an adapter harness. Our cars use the old GM style ones (87 and before) while anything after that uses a different harness and in addition to that, most GMs after 03 or so use data wires for accessory turn-on.

the bose one will not work without everything that goes along with it. go for a gm radio with no bose most before 03 and you will be fine.. or just put in a nice aftermarket radio pioneer still makes a nice 1.5 and it looks pretty good in the old gm's either way good luck and if you need car stereo stuff pm me and i will hook u up;)

the bose one will not work without everything that goes along with it. go for a gm radio with no bose most before 03 and you will be fine.. or just put in a nice aftermarket radio pioneer still makes a nice 1.5 and it looks pretty good in the old gm's either way good luck and if you need car stereo stuff pm me and i will hook u up;)
Thanks bud! I'm just looking for a cheap decent aftermarket head unit that sounds good. I had a $800 Pioneer head unit in my old car and it WAS NOT user freindly at all.. For me anyway! I just want to listem to some music right now. If you have any spare or used head units you would like to sell, PM me the info.

PS: How did those Taillights turn out?

Scot W.

Put one from a 02 Silverado in mine. Found a mint one on ebay. Had to adapt the factory GN brackets to the new radio but was pretty easy and it slid right in. Metra makes an adapter kit for hooking up newer units to our cars without splicing anything. You will also need an adapter for the antenna as they are a different size on the newer units.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/158946-radio-question.html

Have a radio from a newer chevy as well. I would go this way. And if you want bose sound quality, find a radio from 02 Camaro. The only thing is that it has to be a Monsoon head unit. This is alittle better than a regular one. I had an early CD from a buick in my car but the chevy one has better sound quality, because it has a built in amp. Order the adapter harness from kirbanperformance. The only mod you have to make to the radio is bend the left bracket back flat to the radio, or cut it off. Cutting it off is better, you only need to mount one side. I'll try to get you pictures tomorrow.

I think kirban used to sell radios from 96 buick roadmasters that with a wire adapter fit and looked great! i have one in my 87.

Back