You can type here any text you want

Intercooler Upgrade?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

0-60n4

I'm just getting a chance to go through the box with all the information and receipts on this GN and trying to figure out exactly what I have. I'm suprised that with all the goodies that have put on this car, it appears I have the factory intercooler (see pics). Please confirm. I thought that would have been one of the first upgrades? What is recommended?

Attachments

• IMGP1930.JPG
    IMGP1930.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 246
  • IMGP1932.JPG
    IMGP1932.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
  • IMGP1933.JPG
    IMGP1933.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
Here's a few other pics of the car.

Attachments

• IMGP1934.JPG
    IMGP1934.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • IMGP1935.JPG
    IMGP1935.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMGP1937.JPG
    IMGP1937.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 143
  • IMGP1929.JPG
    IMGP1929.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
Looks to be a stock intercooler. Lot of guys leave the stock intercooler an buy a new shroud for it. Just depends on what you want to do with the car an how fast you want to go

You have a Duttweiler neck on it, larger on turbo side than stock. Good into the 11s at least.

You have a Duttweiler neck on it, larger on turbo side than stock. Good into the 11s at least.

Thanks, good spot on the neck. Supposebly the car ran 11.6x at some point. I have a box with some 36 lb injectors and several chips for 36 lb. Current set up has 60 lb injectors and a turbo tweak chip. I noticed on the spec sheet for the turbo tweak, it said 60 lb injectors, stock intercooler and 49 turbo. The spec sheet on the car said 63mm turbo. I need to see for sure what turbo is on it. Can you tell from the engine pic? It doesn't feel like a 11.6 sec car but I have not had a chance to really test it out. I'm thinking about a SLIC upgrade from TR Customs then getting the FAST system and a good dyno tune. It will be a street/show car with maybe a run down a track from time to time.

Thoughts?

Thanks, good spot on the neck. Supposebly the car ran 11.6x at some point. I have a box with some 36 lb injectors and several chips for 36 lb. Current set up has 60 lb injectors and a turbo tweak chip. I noticed on the spec sheet for the turbo tweak, it said 60 lb injectors, stock intercooler and 49 turbo. The spec sheet on the car said 63mm turbo. I need to see for sure what turbo is on it. Can you tell from the engine pic? It doesn't feel like a 11.6 sec car but I have not had a chance to really test it out. I'm thinking about a SLIC upgrade from TR Customs then getting the FAST system and a good dyno tune. It will be a street/show car with maybe a run down a track from time to time.

Thoughts?

Don't waste your time with either. That's money better spent on other things for your goals. Alky, that intercooler, and your current turbo are more than enough for mid-11's. Watch the battery voltage and make sure you have good grounds but with a good hotwired fuel pump and alky, you'll be running 11's if you can get a good hook at the track. For a true street car on street tires, a TR needs to go somewhere in the neighborhood of 130+mph to run 11's on street tires. I think Patrick Rubio did it and I believe he stated the ride was pretty scary. Good tires can get you in the 11's at 112mph or more.

63 turbo, alchy, hot wire (if not already done,) and TT-alchy/63 chip for the combined mod's.

63 turbo, alchy, hot wire (if not already done,) and TT-alchy/63 chip for the combined mod's.

I need a little more edumacation. Where can I learn more about aftermarket shrouds, alchy, TT-alchy/63 chip?

Thanks,

Jim

Check out the vendors section, Razor offers a great alchy system and has great customer service. TT is Turbo-tweak chips. fill out his questionaire about your vehicle and mod's and he will burn you a computer chip w/adjustments for tuning. If you have a translator already, you will have more options.
If you are new to the tr world then before starting any mod's short of getting the car running, ask a lot of questions and do a lot of reading. Good referances are gnttype.org and vortexbuicks-etc.com They will help you come up to speed.

Don't take this the wrong way.... but forget the FAST system for now.

Make sure everything is in good working order on pump gas.

I'd start with tweaking what you have... maybe consider wideband, alky and a powerlogger/scanmaster combo. One of the first things I would check out is the fuel system.... make sure it is up to the task. You can stuff all the air in that cylinder you want, but if you can't supply it enough fuel..... you will blow it up.

Back