You can type here any text you want

Interesting E-bay items for before black cars.

• Thread starter Thread starter pat83t
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I noticed the indicator missing on that cluster too. '83's are different than previous years since they say "OD". But every cluster I have seen, floor shifter or not, has an indicator on the fuel gauge. :confused:

The '78 up-pipe's are wider ID than later 81/83's. I don't know if there would be any difference in performance tough. (I avoid sellers that have more three sentences of "procedures, terms and conditions" :rolleyes: )

$4.50 plus $3.00 shipping for a magazine article??? If anybody really wants it, send me a Private Message (not an e-mail) with an address and I'll photocopy it for you for free. :)

The Indy patch - how about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1228&item=1972154114
(Sorry it's already sold for a whopping $6.50!!!)

Hi Guys, I think the 83 was the exception to the rule. I just got rid of a 83 T-Type and I have a 83 4.1 both with floor shifts and there is no shift pattern on the fuel gauge. I always thought that was kind of strange when I had the 82 GN, but a quick look through the parts book confirms this.

Originally posted by b4black

(Sorry it's already sold for a whopping $6.50!!!)

You probably aren't that sorry. :D I thought the first year with the OD tranny was 83, but your gauge cluster that you put the "factory" tach into says PRND32(1). I for sure saw the D32 but couldn't tell if there was a 1 at the end. I figured mine had the indicator there due to being a column shift.

Eric, good info. Thanks :)

Pat, the tach's in the '83 and it's a column shift. The '82's don't have OD.

Uhhhhh........OK..............Then why does mine have PRNODD21? Actually it is a D with a circle around it.

My car is an anomily. I think due to the late production. It had the 84 T-Type fender emblems, the 84 air dam, and now the screwed up tranny indicator. What next?

Hi Pat, On your car Buick did use the two different T-Type emblems in 83. I've never seen one with the slant T but then again I can only recall looking at about 5 or 6 83's in my life. I dont know about the mix up with the gauge and spoiler. Maybe a previous owner put them on? The fuel gauge set up is a little screwy. 83 was the first year for the THM 200-R4 and only the turbo got it. The 4.1 had the old THM 350C. I had to go way back into my archives to even find the part numbers for the floor shift cars. Maybe the fuel gauge needed to be replaced and this is the problem they ran across. No part number so put anything that will fit in to get the gauge to work. Does it have the cable hooked up to the steering column? I've only had the two floor shift 83's but that doesn't make me the expert. Too bad you dont have a build sheet or anything. It would be interesting to check the codes and see how Buick put the car together. Thanks Eric

Hey, no prob. I have one already. :D I throw mine up on my fan shroud with my 1983 owners manual, 1983 buyers guide, 1983 Owners Report, 1983 T-Type brochure and other numerous 1983 labeled items. People come up and look and what is the first question out of thier mouths......................"what year is this?"? Makes me want to put up a box with some entry forms for remedial reading correspondence courses.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a laptop would you? :D :D :D j/k

Funny you should ask about laptops :D

Actually, my "business partner" gets Dell and IBM machines off-lease and makes a buck or two. In order to keep things moving (he puts $5-$15k per lot of 50-100 machines) he uses my account.

I noticed. I thought it was you though. :) Had to jump on the turbo huh?? :D

I just want the actuator! Mine isn't adjustable and I'd like to keep it that way for nostalgia :)

If I haven't found a cheap one by the time I get the exhaust fixed, I will probably hack this one.

On that turbo Pat pointed out, take a look at the picture from the plenum's point of view. Notice that there are two fittings on the compressor's foot. This means this is a 78/80 turbo. One is for the manifold vacuum source, the other is dedicated to the WG actuator.

The port to the WG actuator points up. The hose would go over the top of the compressor and meet the actuator's port which is pointing forward. This is different than 82/83 where the hose goes under the turbo and the actuator's port points down. So what I'm saying is when you change to the adjustable 78/80 actuator, you also need to either redirect the port on the compressor (which may be very difficult when on the car) or run long enough hose so it doesn't kink. Going over the turbo has got to be much easier than under. (Make sure you don't forget the reconnect the MAP and boost light lines which are tapped into the WG line.)

I bought that same Strombecker and paid about $10.00 with shipping. Mine didn't have the stickers and has different wheels. Damnit! I should have waited.

Back