You can type here any text you want

Interesting thread..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I think it applies to any car that has a mixture of metals. Anytime 2 different metals make contact you get electrolysis.

Distilled water is just as important as good motor oil.

The reason turbo Buicks do not have cooling system issues like that is most of us use RMI-25 in our cooling systems, and also are smart enough to know the cooling system need periodic servicing! :)

When running a fleet of commercial trucks in the desert summer heat during the 1980's, my biggest service issue was the cooling system.

I tried every additive and snake oil available to remedy this situation and finally came across RMI-25 which has become my "magic elixir" which contains all the necessary elements to protect the cooling system, and actually keep it cooler since is also contains a surficant to break down surface tension for better heat transfer.

To this day, no other cooling system additive can equal the protection and performance of RMI-25.

Not only does it contain all the necessary elements for protection, it also cleans the system while you drive and does NOT use any harsh detergents or acidic ingredient which will help erode the cooling system.

As far as using distilled water, that is fine, but not necessary. My original T proves this with 9500 miles and RMI, and the radiator is as clean as new and never used distilled water.

Like most things in this life, additives and antifreeze do not last forever. Our recommendation is to service the cooling system by flushing every Fall and add RMI and antifreeze, in the Spring dump the A/F and add RMI with water of your choice.

We do not use antifreeze here in the desert, so we add a dose of RMI at least every year with low mileage cars, and dump it very couple years .

Not to bash our competition, but WaterWetter, Royal Purple and others do NOT have all the needed elements, nor will they clean the cooling system.

For example, I used WaterWetter before RMI, and found the cooling system would go corrosive as it will then remove solder from joints after a year or so?

For $10 a year and a little time, it is very easy and simple to protect your cooling system.

Like many others, I add RMI to my late model cars, and I know one local owner that has used it regularly in his truck since new in 2003, and never drained or flushed the cooling system yet, and does not need to yet!

I know there are hundreds, actually thousands, of turbo Buick owners that use RMI and do not see issues like posted above from the other forum - using RMI properly will solve his issue! ;)

Distilled water is more corrosive than tap water when installed against bare iron and doesn't remain distilled as soon as it makes contact with the cooling system although it may be better when mixed with anti freeze since it won't react with the chemicals in the antifreeze. The type of water used matters much less than cooling system maintenance. Getting proper air flow over the radiator is just as important as using a good radiator design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's prolly safe to say all water is corrosive. The minerals and iron in tap water make it worse.

It's prolly safe to say all water is corrosive. The minerals and iron in tap water make it worse.

I wouldn't say that. Water is the universal solvent. The more pure it is the more corrosive it is. It has a high affinity for minerals. I've worked on high pressure boilers where water treatment is very crucial. The higher the pressure the more of a tendency for minerals to come out of solution and end up coating the tubes reducing heat transfer and boiler efficiency. Also, any sudden change in water direction will cause minerals to drop out of solution. Water softeners are used for Catonic exchange to replace the Mg, Ca and others with Na. Sodium deposits are much easier to eliminate than minerals like Mg and Ca.

Last place I worked we used RO water but added caustic soda to bring the pH up. I've always worked with chemical engineers to give us the best water treatment in high and low pressure boilers. Had to laugh had one guy when I was working on a low pressure boiler hand me water parameters to measure. It was clear he was just out of school because I asked him how come we aren't measuring total alkalinity. He responded by saying that we are measuring P alkalinity which is total alkalinity. So I had to remind him that M alkalinity was total alkalinity and that is why calculating OH= 2P - M(total alkalinity).

Lots of factors come into play, heat, pressure and water chemistry. When first putting a boiler in service you have to set up a good magnetite layer which is the black oxide that protects against corrosion. No different than a cooling system in a car, the less minerals the better but you also have to have inhibitors to protect it from rusting.

Gotta bring this up. Was just about to dump some RMI25 in the cooling system and noticed, it says NOTHING about "surfactants" or "surface tension" or "heat transfer" whatsoever. If that was one of the, if not THE major reason we use this, why in the heck would that be the ONLY thing they leave off the bottle? I'm curious. The way this bottle is set up, it leads you to believe it's ONLY a cleaner and that's that. Anyone?

Gotta bring this up. Was just about to dump some RMI25 in the cooling system and noticed, it says NOTHING about "surfactants" or "surface tension" or "heat transfer" whatsoever. If that was one of the, if not THE major reason we use this, why in the heck would that be the ONLY thing they leave off the bottle? I'm curious. The way this bottle is set up, it leads you to believe it's ONLY a cleaner and that's that. Anyone?
The last 2 sentences from RMI25 's home page .

This cleaning action is continuous when engine is in operation. Once clean metal status is reached an organic barrier is then formed on the clean metal preventing further contamination. Water Conditioning is accomplished by a surfactant agent, improving heat transfer, making water more efficient than coolant itself.

The last 2 sentences from RMI25 's home page .

This cleaning action is continuous when engine is in operation. Once clean metal status is reached an organic barrier is then formed on the clean metal preventing further contamination. Water Conditioning is accomplished by a surfactant agent, improving heat transfer, making water more efficient than coolant itself.

I am impressed that someone read the fine print! :)

Back