Interm. wipers not working...

SilverSleeper

I recently put in a new cruise lever from Kirbans. Worked great for about 10 miles. Then it started to rain, and I had to use the wipers. The interm. part worked before, when I first put it in. But when I switched to them while driving, they shut the wipers completely off in the middle of the windshield. High and low speed still work fine.
They did this occasionally with the old lever too. I thought the controlls would be in the lever, but maybe Im missing something here..?
Lets play... whats wrong with my wipers....?

I'd say the problem is with the new control...

I know it's new but unfortunately, that doesn't gurantee good.

Possibly...
But the old one did the exact same thing. Generally, would work fine until it rained, then it would quit on the delay wipers but work hi and low still. The entire range of delay wouldnt work,and would leave the wipers in the middle of their travel. As soon as I switched them to low speed they worked fine..:confused:

Mine did the exact same thing when I bought my car. There is a small circuit board inside the wiper motor enclosure that controls the delayed wipers. You can get it at any parts store and it's pretty inexpensive. Damn, that I guess you could say was my "first mod" to the car (actually first repair). :)

Derrick

Thanks "taz"! :)

I thought the control would have been in the lever, but with the same problems with both, I was hoping for an answer like that.
What part do I actually ask for?

I think they call it the pulse board or wiper pulse something... The guy behind the counter should know exactly what it is as I guess it's pretty common. The dealership I got my car from actually told me what to get and when I went to the parts store, they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Derrick

"Pulse Wiper Module". I just looked it up on NAPA online. But of course they didn't list any available online so I couldn't get a price.

Derrick

Thanks Taz, this seems to be a pretty common problem. I don't drive my car in the rain (unless it's Power Tour:D ) but I like everything to work. Add that to the "to do"list

Found two of these at the yard today and I want to check them out. Is there any way to check these without putting them on? BTW, all the stores told me thay are not available without getting the whole motor assm.:(

GM price on the part, cover with delay, is about $42-$45 or so. I bought one two years ago from GM Parts online with a bunch of other stuff.

My dealer wants $85 for this thing and I can't find it listed anywhere online. Can someone please help?:confused:

Found one at the parts store and installed it on my car. Now the pump pumps all the time. I turned it on long enough to see if it works and the pump runs as long as the wipers are on. What's up?

Duh!! I went out and pulled the new module off again and noticed someting I missed before: When I pulled the stock module off two little metal contacts fell off. I THOUGHT I put them in the right spot. WRONG. Moved to the correct spot and they work great! Bad thing is I can't return the new, overpriced part.:( Damn this obsessive-compulsive behavior. This car never even sees the rain!

My intermittent wipers just went out, on the way home from Buick races at Morocco, Indiana. Here's what I found out. AutoZone sells the entire wiper motor for $59. GM Parts Direct wants $53 for the module, shipped to my door. At least that is the price for part number 22039684. Or can that be the entire motor? Or is it just the cover I want? Can someone clarify what part I really need? Thanks!

You only need to replace the module not the motor. Just be sure the little tabs go back in the correct location.

The module mentioned is the cover you are talking about.

I doubt the motor for $59 includes the cover and the pump assy.

But I could be wrong on that.

$53 from GMParts is just the proper delay cover assy.