You can type here any text you want

Is a 224/218 CAM too for 109 with ported irons

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I ran 9.94@134mph with that cam in my old 109 combo. Stock stroke, gn1 alum, 70gtq turbo at 24 psi.

Running 218/212 roller cam, stroked w/6265. Mid to bottom 10s should be a cake walk... Like mentioned, all other supporting hardware should be there. GL on your que$t!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Thanks. The other supporting HW is the reason I will have to wait until 2015 to get started. Engine, transmission and rear end. Couple year project and last time I will be able to spent the kind of money it takes to do this. I f'up and that's that. So I'm going to do it right.

What's the lift, duration, lobe separation, etc?? One set of numbers doesn't tell the whole story.

I helped with a 9.70 iron headed car that runs way less camshaft than that..

What's the lift, duration, lobe separation, etc?? One set of numbers doesn't tell the whole story.

I helped with a 9.70 iron headed car that runs way less camshaft than that..

Jason, I feel honored to get a response from you. You know what, I am not trying to build a mid to high 9s car. I would be happy to hit 10.50. I have gotten a lot of good information from this thread and I appreciate the vast amount of input. In talking to my wife about my rebuild, she asked me the question, did I buy the car to fulfill a want or goes dangerously fast? Well initially I bought the car to fulfill a want, I have wanted a Grand National since I first got to ride in one in the summer of 1988 on Fort Street in Detroit, MI. I was 15 then and at age 35, almost 20 years later I finally mustered up the courage and bought one. For me this was a once in a life opportunity, because I will never again be able to save up $13k again. Speed is addictive though, but the fact still remains that I am just happy to have a Grand National. The only reason I am rebuilding is because I wiped several cam lobes in my current motor and I didn't rebuild I just had the cam replaced. Bruce from Aggressive told me, that it might last 2 years or 10 years, it's like bypass surgery. So back in early spring I was having some issues with my engine, like very lean idle and a few other things that lead me to believe that my main bearings were failing and that would need a rebuild. So I started grabbing parts and I did ask several people, if this cam would work well with a stroker kit and ported irons and all I heard were yeses. In particular the person I bought it off of. Then I started talking to other people and starting hearing, that cam is too much for ported irons, too much lift will beat the hell out of the valves and guides, etc. You need to reconsider, unless you are planning on racing it full time. There is the story and here are the cam specs. Let me know if you have trouble viewing the image.
imagejpeg_4 - Copy.jpg

stock cam is fine for 10.50s and ported irons. I can run mid 10s no problem at 25lbs of boost with my GN.

stock cam is fine for 10.50s and ported irons. I can run mid 10s no problem at 25lbs of boost with my GN.
I have already replaced my stock cam with a flat tappet 206/206. The problem is, the motor that is currently in my car, I wiped a couple of cam lobes and I just replaced the cam. So it is in my best interest to rebuild, just it case the main bearing go. I have already purchased a block, it has been magna-fluxed, billet center main caps, ARP main studs and a used 224/218 cam with nose hardware, lifters, push rods for iron heads, timing chain and gear. Regardless of what size cam, I putting a billet roller in my rebuild.

My car weighs 4050lbs with me in it. I have a 224/224 this in a 4.1. On pump gas 18' of timing and 19psi I went 11.5@116mph, converter unlocked, car was bucking bad at the end of the 1/4 and my lifters were giving me problems. I wasn't on slicks, so anything over 2psi of boost off the line would fry the tires. The run in my signature was with 17psi.

My car weighs 4050lbs with me in it. I have a 224/224 this in a 4.1. On pump gas 18' of timing and 19psi I went 11.5@116mph, converter unlocked, car was bucking bad at the end of the 1/4 and my lifters were giving me problems. I wasn't on slicks, so anything over 2psi of boost off the line would fry the tires. The run in my signature was with 17psi.

My user name is almost the same as yours, which I use on different forums. The 13th round, boxing and the S10 forum. Mine is ForceFed_231.

I think you'll be happier with a smaller camshaft in the 206/210 range. Better idle and driveability etc.. And anything stock or over stock will be plenty for mid 10s. A 206 roller seems to work well with irons and will go deep tens easy with the right combo.

I appreciate all the input from everyone, I'm going to go with a different cam. I'll talk to my builder and may purchase a custom grind from Bison. The main reason, this car will be street driven 75% of the time. I will try and sell the one I currently have.

For what you're going to pay for a different cam you could have it re-ground to a better set of specs for what you want.;) Should cost you about 1/2 of buying a new one.

I think you'll be happier with a smaller camshaft in the 206/210 range. Better idle and driveability etc.. And anything stock or over stock will be plenty for mid 10s. A 206 roller seems to work well with irons and will go deep tens easy with the right combo.
Well Jason I am definitely going with a smaller camshaft. I'm one of the people who like a smoother idle, if possible. I just posted that I will be going with a smaller camshaft, primarily because the car will be street driven 75% of the time. I will be taking it to the strip, no doubt, but that will be on days when the various clubs have private rentals and on the no E.Ts nights otherwise I will get thrown off.

When I had my cam replaced, I put a 206/206 flat tappet in it. I have yet to see what it will do with my TE44.

probably want to upgrade the turbo too. That is probably holding you back the most right now.

probably want to upgrade the turbo too. That is probably holding you back the most right now.
Once my engine is rebuilt, I will be upgrading turbo, converter, fuel pump, injectors and rebuilding my trans.

Also I have a stock trans and a restalled D5 converter. If I got a bigger turbo, then I would need a new converter. I don't want to have to buy things twice, already have to do that because I didn't post this question before I bought a used cam. Also, I don't want to push the stock transmission too far.

Jason, Thanks for that video That is the closest I will be to an 8 second run.... I have to admit I watched it a bunch of times, just a Kick Ass Video...

Jason, Thanks for that video That is the closest I will be to an 8 second run.... I have to admit I watched it a bunch of times, just a Kick Ass Video...
It is a kick ass video. Apparently the music offended a board member because its "satanic lyrics that mocks jesus". As if it is fact that satan and jesus exist/existed. Jason, being the nice guy that he is, apologized and said that the music didn't represent his beliefs. I posted that I saw no reason for an apology and no reason for Jason to defend his beliefs. Simply because it ain't nobody Else's damn business what he believes.
Anyway, I don't want to get off topic here. I have gotten a great amount of information and appreciate people taking their time to try and help me. It is much appreciated.

Apparently the music offended a board member because its "satanic lyrics that mocks jesus".

I wasn't offended, I just pointed out that the lyrics had nothing to do with racing and the bands lyrics lean towards the satanic.

As if it is fact that satan and jesus exist/existed.

I won't even get into that statement as this will start a flame fest, but I will say this: even if your statement were true wouldn't the world be a better place if all were to live like there was a god ??
It hurts nobody to respect one another and lets just compare the word Satan and evil with Jesus and good.

Good and evil exist in your world do they not ??? Which would you like to see more of ??

Take god and religion out of the equation and if we all did more good than evil the world would be a better place. I'm not perfect by any means but will try to be more respectful of others in the future.

Jason, being the nice guy that he is, apologized and said that the music didn't represent his beliefs.

I think that was good of him to do and he did that of his own free will, and while not expected to do so it shows that people generally respect others thoughts and beliefs and will do the right thing when the situation presents itself.
I posted that I saw no reason for an apology and no reason for Jason to defend his beliefs. Simply because it ain't nobody Else's damn business what he believes.
Anyway, I don't want to get off topic here.

To LATE!!!

I will now crawl back under the rock from wenst I came.

Back