IS a 4200 stasll to loose for me

• Thread starter AsphaltAnihil8r
  • Start date
A

AsphaltAnihil8r

No track time,the reason i ask is because I can break the tires loose at 45-50mph( stock tires):D :D,but seriously I seen the stock rpm gauge light up red like 6000rpm,just curious since my other cars have never done this...
Here are the mods

Champion iron heads
Champion ported intake
TE 63 turbo(I think)
214 cam
J/E pistons
55# injectors
modified ECM
ATR stainless headers
ATR stainless downpipe
ATR stainless dual exhaust
200r4 built by Mike Curtz
Art Carr 4200 converter
Moser axles
Auburn posi
3.90 gears
Precision front mount
Double pumper in tank
:D :D

I've got a 767 turbo and I had my converter that loose, Worked like crap. By the third time I got the converter back it feels about right around 3400-3500 @ 8 psi. But the last track date was canceled so I have no numbers to back up any claims. I think it may be a little too loose for the combo you state, but try it I guess. Every combo and car likes everything different. It may be the ticket for your ride, but way off for someone else with a similar combo.

You don't mention what cam you have in it. That will make a difference. With those gears you'll be spiining some pretty high RPM through the traps with it, so a looser converotor may be more efficiant up their.

DJ

Originally posted by Doug Jacobson
I've got a 767 turbo and I had my converter that loose, Worked like crap. By the third time I got the converter back it feels about right around 3400-3500 @ 8 psi. But the last track date was canceled so I have no numbers to back up any claims. I think it may be a little too loose for the combo you state, but try it I guess. Every combo and car likes everything different. It may be the ticket for your ride, but way off for someone else with a similar combo.

You don't mention what cam you have in it. That will make a difference. With those gears you'll be spiining some pretty high RPM through the traps with it, so a looser converotor may be more efficiant up their.

DJ

Cam 214

I would get an honest tach to find out what you are turning rpmwise.

That turbo would probably work better with a tighter converter in the 3600-3800 rpm range at say 10# of boost, imo.

3.90s seem a mismatch to me as well when it comes to all around performance tho some have made them work.

I have this convertor sitting in the garage,just bought,,

What do you think it should feel like with this in,,am I too tight now with this... this is the sale add from the person I bought it from.

I have a 10/11 convertor from PAT'S CONVERTOR'S for sale.it is a 3400 stall with lock-up.the convertor works excellent and is about 3 months old.I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this convertor and hate to give it up but becuase i am changing my combo to go faster i must switch to a turbo 400 so i cant use it.PAT'S will honor the rest of the warranty time,but im sure it wont give anyone trouble

Depends what it stalls with your combo, I think. 3400 seems to be on the bottom edge of what I think a 63 needs. Doug made a good point above as the looser the converter, the more rpm you really need to get out of the slip zone.

With your current converter, if you are going about 50 mph, or so, and floor it....what does it stall to? (again with an accurate tach)

Most of the factory tachs are reading way high now. Does yours read correctly at idle?

I have a 9/11 with a Craig 45. I can easily pull 3800 against the brake around 10# of boost and can pull 4200 against the tranny brake. When stomping it from a slow cruise, it only goes to about 2800-2900 rpm before slippage stops. Not bad at all in normal driving.

You have less of everything I got in my combo and I use the same Pat's converter with my 70 and love it! You will have to do a little leg work to figure out exactly what you have there but get the info on it and call Steve Barr at Pat's and see how it was set up. I can't remember the exact details but mine is 75 pitch I think. If you get what I have with your 63 you will have more than enough and it will not be inefficient on the topside. If you really crank on that 63 your 55's are going to be on the edge.... BTDT.

Te63E with a PTE .63 exhaust housing and a 911 3200 LU , it spools good not laggy at all

A basic rule of thumb is that you should be prepared to shift 2000RPM above the stall point to get the slip out. Now boost at launch has a big effect on this, higher boost = more torque = more stall. If it is 4200 at zero or low boost it is too loose if it is 4200 at say 15 PSI it might be perfect
Mike Licht

On that note, if you have any kind of data logger that tracks RPM, you could watch how much (or little) the RPM's drop between shifts. There was a lengthy thread last year (in Stage II, IIRC) concerning RPM drop and converter stall. Yup, here it is: Motor running over converter.

hi,
i was the origional owner of the pat's convertor.it was used with a pt54.a 54 is similar to a 61.if i launched with no boost with 28/11.5 ET streets by 20 feet out the car would be hairy.the spool was very fast.im my opinion the way we aproach rating convertors by stall speed according to boost leaves a big margine for error.all to often it seems what one person will rate a convertor at will be very different from another.i honestly feel this convertor will work excellent for you.i am an auto tech by trade and have plenty of performance oriented experience.like i said in my for sale post.i loved the convertor. it worked very well for me.
the"ONLY" reason i sold it was becuase i couldnt use it in the three speed tranny.

USE IT!IT WILL WORK FINE!:D ;)

nick,

And IF it shouldn't be enough at that point pull it out and send it to Pat's for a re-stall. Even if it is past the time period for the freebie. E-mail me before you send it and I will talk with Steve to make sure it gets taken care of. Try it first though before you go too far.

Assuming the AC converter in the car is a non lock up, the tranny will have to be put back to original to handle the lock up, I believe.

...and if you decide you don't want that Pat's converter, let me know...I was trying to buy it from the previous owner also...thanks :)

Sorry everyone,,I have not seen this thread since the 8th of Dec,,Sorry ....I still have the convertor in the Box that it was shipped in,,didnt even open it yet(TurboTwister),the car is apart for some new modifications,so that will be looked into after the car is back on the road..thanks for all the info..
Also how do I check the stall ...please explain...

Above is my combo,,I just noticed how small my exhaust housing is.It is a A/R .63
I have been thinking my AC 4200 convertor is too loose,can I compensate (wicked fast spool up) my convertor by going to a A/R .85 housing.
But then again I think this car make the ULTIMATE stop light to stop light car:D :D