You can type here any text you want

Is a HV oil pump necessary on a rebuild?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WSLN 6

Powered by Murphy's Law
The car is getting a major overhaul. Is the high volume oil pump setup mandatory for over 500hp?

no no no

Not necessary if the build is right. If the build is not right a HV pump can be a baid aid.

If you use one: be certain to enlarge the oil holes at the mains to 3/8" to avoid premature cam sensor wear.

If the engine is built "tight", with clearances not at the max for the mains, rods, and rod side clearance, then a good stock pump will be plenty. If the engine is "loose" with clearances near the max, then a high volume pump will help. High pressure/volume pump can wear the pump drive/cam sensor gears pretty quickly, it seems, and if you use the high volume pump on a "tightie", the pressure will end up high.

A "booster plate" is a good idea though. It'll give the pump gears a fresh surface to ride, and raise your oil pressure accordingly. Get a Biggie Oil Filter adapter, blueprint your oil pump/timing cover, and you should be in good shape.

I'd stay away from HV pumps. Too much load on cam sensor drive gear and the kits often end up with less pressure than a good stock blueprinted pump.

Buy a quality stock length pump gear set, drill the idler gear for oiling, deburr the gears and glass bead them, radius the sharp 90 degree turns in the cover with a lond round carbide burr. Set end clearance to .001-.002 using plastigage and a gasket kit available from TA performance. A steel wearplate is also a good idea.

If your bearing clearances are correct, you'll have 35-40 psi at a hot idle using 10W-30

Thanks guys. I don't suppose there is a nice writeup with detailed photos of this procedure..... :)
Damn newbies!
Sure, I ported my own heads, but am scared of my oil pump.lol

It's not brain surgery.

A small pencil grinder with a few bits and common sense is all that you need. Radius all oil passagess you can reach. (Take the sharp corners off). Set the end play as suggested. Keep bearing clearance to .0015 or tighter. Drill smaller oil feed holes for the cam journals (.080). Flip the bearing(cam) so the factory hole is @ 12 O-clock. All I can think of now.

turbodave231 said:
I'd stay away from HV pumps. Too much load on cam sensor drive gear and the kits often end up with less pressure than a good stock blueprinted pump.

Buy a quality stock length pump gear set, drill the idler gear for oiling, deburr the gears and glass bead them, radius the sharp 90 degree turns in the cover with a lond round carbide burr. Set end clearance to .001-.002 using plastigage and a gasket kit available from TA performance. A steel wearplate is also a good idea.

If your bearing clearances are correct, you'll have 35-40 psi at a hot idle using 10W-30
Agreed. This is exactly what i have done for years with these and have good luck with oil pressure.

do a search on "front cover" i believe Earl Brown did a nice write up, with lots of pictures.

Back