You can type here any text you want

Is anyone running a distributor with AC and stock altenator?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
????????
Do you have to relocate the alternator and lose AC when runing a distributor?

This is a question we have been struggling with over the last couple of months, would appreciate any info out there.

This is what I know currently: in stock config, the alternator needs to be moved to right with bracket to fit dist. heard it was possible to grind and massage the stock bracket to fit the dist without moving alt and keeping ac, not sure about strength issues.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a custom bracket cut to make it possible to keep ac without worrying about strength issues.....................

Check out the new MSD distributor caps.. I think they may be smaller.

Hth...

These aren't my pics, maybe they can help u guys out.

Attachments

• Untitled-3%20copy.JPG
    Untitled-3%20copy.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 257
  • tensioner.JPG
    tensioner.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Tonys%20motor.JPG
    Tonys%20motor.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 257
Awesome. Thanks for those pics. I won't mind cutting/grinding the bracket or tensioner. Thanks again.

Its possible to do, but its a real pain, and extensive grinding and the tensioner will only be held on with 2 bolts, one in the bracket and one in the alternator.

Thanks for the input Norbs. Does the tensioner seem to retain enough strength for track use as well as "gentle" street driving conditions?

Also, would it be possible to cut a new tensioner on a billet machine, if so who would be able to make such a custom piece?

Ive had no issues with the tensioner or belts so far, but i dont drive the car much either. Fuel line routing becomes real tight in this area now, I would use -8 and -6 TFE hose as its smaller diameter and won't stink of gas fumes either.

The way the spring is made in the tensioner it would be hard to make a billet piece work unless you make it adjustable but with no spring.

The distributor works well . but its a harder to install mechanically compared to maybe rjcs dual coil pack system or a cop setup.

I spoke with Cramer about his setup after BG. Seem to be a good way to get around the dist problem, but according to him it is somewhat expensive as it requires two dis boxes.

The whole point seems to be to facilitate the use of the XFI box as a two step when staging. It would seem this is a problem faced by a number of people, and would be better if we could figure out how to mfg a piece that would work better.

Would the tensioner work without the spring, or am I just living a pipe dream of having ac and a dist safely at the track. Other than the obvious weight difference is there any real performance gain to removing the ac?

Yes you will be losing weight as you sweat in the car driving it. It makes it easier to work on the engine and you will lose about 60 lbs if you pull the heater box out too. IF you have patience you can do the install no problem. It has good and bad issues, but mostly those stock coil packs and modules i don;t trust anymore. I had new ones in the box no good right from gm, but some last no problem and people have gone 7s with them.

You would have tro build your own tension and make it adjustable with a bolt and slotted hole. Maybe you could even sell them on here for others,
do you want to go through all that work, or just put a turbo tweak chip in and runs 9s like Grumpy:)

Yes you will be losing weight as you sweat in the car driving it. It makes it easier to work on the engine and you will lose about 60 lbs if you pull the heater box out too. IF you have patience you can do the install no problem. It has good and bad issues, but mostly those stock coil packs and modules i don;t trust anymore. I had new ones in the box no good right from gm, but some last no problem and people have gone 7s with them.

You would have tro build your own tension and make it adjustable with a bolt and slotted hole. Maybe you could even sell them on here for others,
do you want to go through all that work, or just put a turbo tweak chip in and runs 9s like Grumpy:)

IF, I like the way you put that. BIG IF!

I did not realize it was that much weight with the heater box. 60lb is a alot to lose, but so is the comfort of the ac. The fact is I won't be driving the car much on the street, but I would like to keep it as a bragging right. The goal is a 9 sec GN with all the creature comforts.

As far as building my own, I would need help there. We don't have access to billet machines around here. Also, I wouldn't know where to start. I would however be willing to put some investment capital into the idea if someone has access to the machines and know how. I feel safe the piece would sell, seems many Buick guys are getting faster and want to keep the ac.

I have a tt chip now and love it, but am going to xfi very soon. Cal if you are listening, we will be calling in the morning :biggrin:

....The whole point seems to be to facilitate the use of the XFI box as a two step when staging. It would seem this is a problem faced by a number of people, and would be better if we could figure out how to mfg a piece that would work better............

The "easy" way to facilitate this is to do a coil-on-plug set up with the XFI when wanting to use a 2 step.:)

We have a couple GN's running with COP. We are in process of finishing a low 8 sec. GN that will have COP. It will be a month or 2 before it is track ready to prove our method and design.

We know it works fine on a 10 sec. GN w/XFI, and a 6 sec. GN with a Motec, so this should finish our test phase!:D

The "easy" way to facilitate this is to do a coil-on-plug set up with the XFI when wanting to use a 2 step.:)

We have a couple GN's running with COP. We are in process of finishing a low 8 sec. GN that will have COP. It will be a month or 2 before it is track ready to prove our method and design.

We know it works fine on a 10 sec. GN w/XFI, and a 6 sec. GN with a Motec, so this should finish our test phase!:D

Correct me if I am wrong, but COP is basically the same technology being used in ls1 applications. There is an individual coil pack for every cylinder located either at the plug or mounted somewhere on the firewall.

I remember reading another thread about this, any chance you have the link so I can refresh my memory?

What would be the price range for a setup like this? How efficient is it compared to distributer setup? Is is applicable to both 109 and s2 setups?

Back