Is brake fluid supposed to be found in the vac. res./press. switch?

Maltman

Simply put, I have fluid in my "ball" upon removal and in the pressure switch....since both share the same channel, I would expect this, but isn't this supposed to be "only" vacuum. I pulled the entire brake assembly off the wall for cleaning and a complete check-up.

...I'd like to rebuild it if possible, but it looks complicated :(

Thanks,

Mark

Both the accumulator and pressure switch are sensing brake fluid pressure, so they're both exposed to it. What you don't want to see is fluid leaking into the pressure switch's electrical connector end!!

NO there's no vacuum in there. This is a pressure system, not vacuum, and I mean VERY HIGH pressures!! In the area of 450psi and higher, so be careful.

What prompted you to take it apart??????

Thanks Dave,

I had (have) a serious problem with contamination of both water and dirt.....I didn't like the idea of cleaning the unit out while still in the car.

Call me over-protective, but I don't like brake fluid on anything or near anything with paint. Besides, it is not a terribly big job...and I have a vacuum pump to re-charge the system.

Again, thanks for the help....I didn't like the idea of spending money on this.

Mark

P.S. Are the pumps known to run periodically (approx. every 2 min) when key is on, but nothing is being applied in terms of brake pressure. Fluid was low, but not too low