You can type here any text you want

Is the 84 NA cam the same as the 82 turbo cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BADAZZV6

Slippery When Boosted
I am cloning an 84 NA regal to a 82 turbo sport coupe. I have just installed the trans and rear end and am ready to do the engine mods. Do I need to swap cams?? I have everything I need, just don't want to do the extra work if not needed.

Yes the 84-87 NA cam is the same as the 82-83 carb turbo cam. 83 and older NA uses a different number. Sorry I dont have any specs on either cam.

The 83 and older uses a different number because of change in the cam bearings in 84. Buick changed the way the oil was routed around the cam at the front bearing. The front and rear bearings both changed for 84-87.

The older style cams have an oil groove in the front bearing journal which went away in 84.

But as luck has it, most replacement cams come with the groove just to support interchanges.

The value of that groove is another issue.

I believe there are other differences to cams other than the journals. As far as the parts book goes it depends on what block you have that determines what front cam bearing to use. And this is for all 82-87 blocks. There is no mention of using the correct bearing for either OEM cam. You do bring up a good point about the bearings though.

Eric, you are correct. The blocks produced after 83 were "second design." These are the ones with a change in the oil routing. It was this change that caused the change in bearings. A first design cam will fit both style blocks due to having the groove in the front cam bearing journal. The true second design cams were have a smooth front bearing journal and should only be used in second design blocks.

Also, the NOS first design cams should be found to have a smaller base circle. Buick changed the pushrods and lifters in 83 also to go with the larger base circle. All that is currently offered is the newer design.

When I tore the engine down to the long block I decided to pull the cam and lifters to inspect them. I already had the new 82 cam and lifters and found a couple lifters worn on the bottom, so I decided to replace them. I don't recall an oil groove on the front cam bearing, but based on your inputs I should be ok, other than the 84 push rods I used. Right now it runs good with no noises, but will the longer push rods create extra pressure on the cam bearings/lobes and cause premature failure??

Good info, thanx.

Since I have always been a chebby man where everything is so interchangeable, I have learned a lot in the last month about how much Buick changed items from year to year. Specifically with wiring harnesses and engine brackets. Now engine components :eek: Thank god this is just a "something to do" project.

Back