is the forged crank worth it for my setup?

turbogreg

still debating on whether or not to go with the stock crank or forged. looking for a low 10 sec build up with the 67bb, ported irons, roller cam, etc. would like to throw in a small shot of nitrous down the road as well. going to use the 109 block with forged pistons, rods, rjc girdle, and debating whether or not to keep the stock crank. with the girdle and rods should i really need to worry about the crank? mostly street car, weekend toy, not a track car.

Greg

i have pretty much the exact same set up...well in the middle of building it...so i did new rods pistons girdle...i asked around and consensus was as is with everything part with these cars is...you might as well while you are there...i mean your just talking about another 300 bucks...so might as well if for nothing but peace of mind...good luck...would like to see some pics of your build up and finish and times when and if you get any...thanks noah.

if i go with the forged crank, should i mind as well just go with the stroker kit? not trying to have a 6k+ motor build on my hands. i hear people are spending a nice chunk of change with the stroker build ups. would like to keep mine simple and straightforward.

Greg

if you go with a forged crank, you aslo need nuetral balanced flexplate and balancer hub.

anyone can give me a give or take price on the stroker machining? with a girdle how much you think i'd be looking at around? under 6k for the parts and machining? that's with me supplying the heads and cam.

Greg

Stroker cost. (just had a friends done)

2k for balanced stroker rotating assembly, 2 center caps at $200.00, plus $750.00 for the machine shop to do all necessary grinding on the block. There really is no difference in the cost of a stroker compared to a stock stroke forged motor. maybe $200.00 tops. I will tell u this for sure, I just made a few passes in my car last night and the motor is making a lot of power. I dont get impressed easy but in this case rollercam plus ported heads plus a 67dbb equals a change of underwear! definitely go with the steel crank.

if i go with the forged crank, should i mind as well just go with the stroker kit? not trying to have a 6k+ motor build on my hands. i hear people are spending a nice chunk of change with the stroker build ups. would like to keep mine simple and straightforward.

Greg

To me, it sounds like you going to have a $6K motor. Go with a full roller setup.

Sorry I'm not sure if a forged crank is worth it or not. A lot of guys are running high to mid 10's with the stock crank.

ive seen 11 sec cars break stock cranks....so far ive never seen a broken steel crank. not that they cant be broken, just not as common. with the price of steel cranks so low, it makes no sense to run a stocker into the 10's

- surej

with the build your planning, a forged crank only makes sense. if the cost is an issue I would skip the girdle and put the money towards the crank. My current motor has 3 caps and a forged crank/pistons and billet rods. I have hundreds of passes from mid 10's to high 9's, not to mention a bunch of hard street miles and it's still going strong

arizonagn has external balance forged cranks in stock as of last week. You can use the stock balancer and flywheel with these cranks.

Dan

will do thanks guys. will look into that externally balanced crank. my brother just brought home an 03 cobra and thinks he'll have me covered :rolleyes: drove the car, not bad, sounds great but not even close. thanks for the help, will let you guys know how it goes when i order everything up. Brer, how much boost you running on the 67 with the ported irons and roller cam? i have to get my fast system tuned next week, was running 27 no knock all day on the stock h/c. alky is golden.:biggrin: o yea, my birthday is next weekend so more $ for parts is always good!