You can type here any text you want

Is there a fix for the front of block that a cam ate up?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WIKEDV6

This was a ductile roller cam that ate up the front of the block just enough to get some shaving into the oil to loose oil pressure. Is there a bushing or a plate for the front cam bearing that can be installed to prevent the cam from riding up against the block? In another words can I save this block?

T I A

Prasad

Yes there are a couple ways do save this. I had the same thing occur on a previous GN I had. I machined a pocket about .200 deep a little larger than the diameter of the cam flange in the block. Then machined a bearing bronze washer so to speak with oil relief valleys in the face.

Another scenario is to machine the scorn face of the block to clean up irregularities. And install a thin torrington thrust bearing. I believe these are avialable through some vendors. However I don't recall whom.

Thanks for the reply, now where can I get the bronze washer or the torrington thrust bearing?

Prasad

Check with Cottons or Full Throttle for the bearing. If they don't have it they can probably point you to whom has.

As for the washer I machined and made that myself years ago as well as machined my own block. It was an advantage to being a tool and die maker at the time.

Thanks for the reply, now where can I get the bronze washer or the torrington thrust bearing?

Prasad

Don't know what size you need but go to McMaster-Carr and put 1107 in the search box to see all the sizes that they carry. I think you need the sae 841 material due to the shaft speed. They also have torrington bearings, just do a search - they have by far the best online search engine and catalog lookup of anyone, and their service is awesome.

I had heard that TA Performance has the Torrington as well. Page 68 of their downloadable catalog lists a few options that might help.

http://www.taperformance.com/www/PDF/TAPerformance_Catalog.pdf

TA ROL150 Torrington roller bearing cam bumper, use on ROLLER cams with counter bored nose ...................................$ 59.95

TA VRL100 Bronze roller cam Thrust Plate, fits all 231-252 V6, Stage 1, Stage 2 & TA V3800 series cylinder blocks ... $ 59.00

Back