Is this a GN trans?

squeeze87

Well, now theres something else to worry about:confused: I know the GN trans is supposed to be a 7brf well, My tag is missing and i was wondering if thers any other way (without dissasemby) to tell if this is the correct trans. I"ve had the car for about 5 months and don't know much about its history. Do these tags sometimes fall off? how are they held on? I dont see a rivet or anything there, just a flat pad.
Thanks

as far as i know, without the tag, you will have to open the pan. bruce could tell you more, but he never mentioned anything to me about it. easy to tell once the pan is off.

The transmission model number is also stamped into the side of the pan rail toward the rear of the transmission. These tags sometimes do fall off, mostly during a rebuild.

Another thing to consider is that, like a book, you can't fully judge a transmission by its case. It's possible that the case was replaced for some reason during a repair but that all the proper TR calibrated parts were put back in. Just something to consider before you possibly condemn your transmission.

Look above the drive side pan rail. The last few digits of the VIN are there. You can tell if it was a 86-87 Buick trans by the letter code for the year and the production sequence which is the last 5 numbers.

IT looks OK

The # is the same as the last 5 digits of the car so I guess its the original trans. Thanks guys!