You can type here any text you want

Is this a good combo or is a waste of money?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oddiesGN

I'm about to buy a lot of parts here very soon and need to know if this set-up is good, not good enough, don't need or just don't match up right. First my goals are low 7's in the 1/8th or 11.3-11.5 in the 1/4. I will be running E85 and 25# of boost (maybe more or less not sure what is a good number yet).

THINGS NEEDED:
Port stock heads
Port stock intake
206/210 .516 roller cam kit with beehive springs
1.5 roller rockers or HD rocker shafts with rocker shaft supports (don't know yet need help)
ARP head studs
80# injectors
DW 300 fuel pump
Front mout intercooler or Stock location (don't know yet need help)
PTC 2800 L/U converter
High performance coil
HP wastegate actuator
275-45-16 drag radials

THINGS ALREADY HAVE:
Stock block with 1800 miles
Hot wire kit
3" down pipe
TA49 turbo
Rebuilt 2004R stage one
Stock gears
Have some body bracings

I'm not for sure what rockers to go with, would like rollers just don't know if I need to have head work to use them. What roller rockers should I use without doing machine work to the heads or what machine work needs to be done to use them? Is the HD rocker shaft good with the lift I have?
Also with the intercooler do I go with fm or sl?
With this cam what machine work needs to be done to it? Will the retainers hit or is the lift not big enough?
Do I even need to port heads and intake?

The other things I'm going with is a powerlogger, 3 bar map and a wide band inline.

I may be missing some things, but I think this is what I need. I really need everyones input on this, I just don't want to buy these and either don't need or its wrong for my goals.

Thanks, Otes

T&D Roller rockers. The head will need a small amount of clearance. Delco stock coil/module. Front mount intercooler.

T&D Roller rockers. The head will need a small amount of clearance. Delco stock coil/module. Front mount intercooler.

What part of the head needs clearance? Is it where the rockers sit? What kind of clearance? Should the machine shop guy know this (I guess he should if he's any good).

Thanks, Otes

Got a friend with a stock long block, TE44, CAS V4 slic, THDP, 60lbs injectors, Vigilante converter, and 26psi. 7.3's 1/8, 11.35 1/4. Looking for 10's if he actually takes it out next spring.

Pedestals need minor clearance. Nothing that is complex. The rockers will rub.

Pedestals need minor clearance. Nothing that is complex. The rockers will rub.

Would anyone have a picture of this? What do you need to do just shave off a little to get it to fit? Also while I'm talking about machine work on heads, what else needs to be shaved down to run a roller cam with a .516 lift on stock heads? Something with the valve guides too tall or something, the retainers will hit. What did others have to get done to there heads for a roller cam?

Also what does others think of my future set up? Can I even get to my goals with this? What would I expect with this set up? I plan on spending about 5k on these parts and don't want to be buying stuff till I get some more feedback. I don't want to get the wrong parts or worse, get parts that I don't even need.

Thanks for the help, Otes.

Is there anyone else that can help me out. I need some advise here before I start spending money. Is this a good combo and should I be able to get my goals? Is there things I need or don't need?

Thanks, Otes.

I could be wrong, but I believe to use the DW300 fuel pump, your fuel return line needs modified or the fp wont go low enough at idle. Didnt see that posted on your modification list.

Let me know how this turns out sound similar to the combo that I have been saving parts for except Im planing on a 6262 or 6266 dbb turbo and a ptc 9.5 nl I want 11.0s but will settle for anything under 11.4.

I could be wrong, but I believe to use the DW300 fuel pump, your fuel return line needs modified or the fp wont go low enough at idle. Didnt see that posted on your modification list.

Thanks, thats something that I wouldn't have known till I've already put it in and ran it. While I'm doing the fuel line, will it help to put in a bigger feed line also with the return line? If you put in a bigger return line can you still use your factory rubber line that goes from the frame to the engine?

Is there a vender that sells the bigger fuel lines or do I have to bend my own?

Thanks alot, Otes.

Let me know how this turns out sound similar to the combo that I have been saving parts for except Im planing on a 6262 or 6266 dbb turbo and a ptc 9.5 nl I want 11.0s but will settle for anything under 11.4.

I was wanting to go with the 6262 also, but I already have a ta 49 with only 1800 miles. I'll probably use what I have and if I can't get there with it, I'll jump up to the 6262 next year.

Otes.

I am not an expert and I do not have any experience with E-85 but looking at your combo I would say yes you can hit your goal of 11.5

I would definitely have your heads worked.....it may not be needed to hit your goal but it does make things more efficient and helps if you want to upgrade later. You can also run a 1 1/2 stock location IC so no need for a front mount. Your cam is good but you will need to have the heads worked the guides cut down.

You may also need some rear end parts such as larger upper and lower control arms and some air bags to help the launch....your gonna need a minimum of a 7.0 60' to get in the low 11's

Everything else looks good as far as combo, then its just tune tune tune and then tune some more.

Good luck!

I am not an expert and I do not have any experience with E-85 but looking at your combo I would say yes you can hit your goal of 11.5

I would definitely have your heads worked.....it may not be needed to hit your goal but it does make things more efficient and helps if you want to upgrade later. You can also run a 1 1/2 stock location IC so no need for a front mount. Your cam is good but you will need to have the heads worked the guides cut down.

You may also need some rear end parts such as larger upper and lower control arms and some air bags to help the launch....your gonna need a minimum of a 7.0 60' to get in the low 11's

Everything else looks good as far as combo, then its just tune tune tune and then tune some more.

Good luck!

Thats what I'm wanting to get in mid to low 11s and want it to be efficient. I'm not good at tuning yet so I would like to have some room for error until I get this tuning thing down. I would like to be able to run 11.5 with this set-up, but would love to be able to pick up 2 to 3 10ths with only learning how to tune. I want to make power with knowlege instead of just giving it more boost.

What is a 1 1/2 stock location intercooler? Is that just a bigger intercooler? What size slic should I get?

I was planning on taking my stock upper and lower control arms and boxing them. Will that work as good or just a waste of time? Do I need the adjustable uppers? I was considering an air bag, but wasn't for sure if I needed them. Can't hurt anything by getting them.

Also when you cut down the guides, don't you have to use a different type of seals or anything or is everything still the same just shave down the guides.

Thanks, Otes.

Thats what I'm wanting to get in mid to low 11s and want it to be efficient. I'm not good at tuning yet so I would like to have some room for error until I get this tuning thing down. I would like to be able to run 11.5 with this set-up, but would love to be able to pick up 2 to 3 10ths with only learning how to tune. I want to make power with knowlege instead of just giving it more boost.

What is a 1 1/2 stock location intercooler? Is that just a bigger intercooler? What size slic should I get?

I was planning on taking my stock upper and lower control arms and boxing them. Will that work as good or just a waste of time? Do I need the adjustable uppers? I was considering an air bag, but wasn't for sure if I needed them. Can't hurt anything by getting them.

Also when you cut down the guides, don't you have to use a different type of seals or anything or is everything still the same just shave down the guides.

Thanks, Otes.

A 1 1/2 ic is just what it sounds like....it is a stock IC with a half of one added on basically adding rows for more cooling and most have the larger unrestricted nect up top. This is what I run since I wanted to leave the front of my radiator open since it is on the street mostly. These IC have been well into the 10's so no need for a front mount unless you really want one.

on the heads....yes different guides are needed I beleive....I have brass guides in mine and I run Comp cams nylon valve guide seals. A good machine shop will be able to take care of your heads....just do your home work on the shop...I would want a shop that has done Buick heads to ensure the correct work is done.

I can not give you a good answer on the control arms....I would say yes to boxing them in if you know what you are doing.....I have not done that so I can not tell you how it works but in theroy it should be fine. I run south sided uppers and lowers. I would also run bags...since they are not a lot of money and help out a ton it is a must to help with the 60'.

I have currently run a 26" tire but found it to be making me rpm a lil too much up top and I need to run a 28" to get a few more mph. Also you need to have enough power to help you pull out of the whole with a 28" tire. I think you may be ok with a 28" but a 26" will deffinitely 60' better.

just curious but have you run your current combo? Just by looking at your current setup with a decent 60' you should be a solid mid to low 12 sec car now.

just curious but have you run your current combo? Just by looking at your current setup with a decent 60' you should be a solid mid to low 12 sec car now.

Well I haven't taken it to a 1/4 mile track yet its about 150 miles away, but I have taken it to the 1/8th mile since its closer (wanted to make sure nothing was wrong before I took it to a longer track) I ran super slow 9.5 at 82 mph. My 60' time was the problem at 2.6 and it seemed to take forever to spool up. I only ran it twice with the same times. Thats why I never took it to the 1/4 mile I thought something was wrong. At a rolling start it was great, just to take off like I was pulling a trailer. Well I pulled the transmission a couple of weeks ago and looked at the converter and thats when I noticed that I was using a plain converter out of a normal 2004r car. Thats why I couldn't build any boost with the brakes and had bad turbo lag. I think if I had atleast the factory D5 I might have been happy with what I have now instead of tearing down the engine and throwing more money at it.

Do you agree that its the converter that was giving me the slow 1/8th mile? I don't have exhaust leaks so hope that was the problem.

Thanks, Otes.

Your 60 foot is a major issue and turbo spool is another problem turbo motors dont make power until they are in boost. A bad tune will cause it too. Converter can make or break a combo.

Your 60 foot is a major issue and turbo spool is another problem turbo motors dont make power until they are in boost. A bad tune will cause it too. Converter can make or break a combo.

I'm not 100% sure that my tune was great, but I don't think it was bad. I don't know the numbers, but everything on the scanmaster seemed good and I was getting good fuel pressure. I just hope that all it was is just the converter.

Thanks, Otes.

Back