You can type here any text you want

is this normal? oil blowing thru intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

l3lue

Is it normal to have oil in the exit pipe of your intercooler?

28d85824-0cfb-4c4f-afb5-e4cc212e8c36.jpg

It's pretty normal if you have the right side valve cover vent connected to the turbo inlet bell.

Oil seal on your turbo is on its way out . How is your shaft play ?

Not coming from the turbo, i checked, pcv valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have breathers on both of my valve covers.. No noticeable play in turbo

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Has the intercooler ever been cleaned since the valve cover vent was removed? Is there any oil on the inlet of the intercooler? Need a little more history. Has the turbo ever been replaced? Is there a lot of oil showing in the throttle body? Possibilities: turbo, PCV system, valve cover vent, residual oil left in intercooler from vent or turbo.

Just got car couple months ago never cleaned intercooler, working on spring cleaning will clean out intercooler an check it out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's not much oil and you have no baseline on time.

I'd clean it, then check on it in a few months. It might be old residue and that's it.

Pour a gallon of lacquer thinner in there. It will break down any contaminates in there twice as fast as anything on earth and evaporate quickly. Of course, not at all a safe substance to work with. But hey, the thing will be clean.;)

Brake clean, and gasoline work too. They just don't smell as good:wacky:

Pour a gallon of lacquer thinner in there. It will break down any contaminates in there twice as fast as anything on earth and evaporate quickly. Of course, not at all a safe substance to work with. But hey, the thing will be clean.;)

Brake clean, and gasoline work too. They just don't smell as good:wacky:
I use lacquer thinner also. After draining it as much as possible I blow it out with a leaf blower.

If you use a solvent based product to clean out the cooler as mentioned just a fast shake and rinse through
then wash it out with hot water and soap followed by the leaf bloweror hair dryer.
Garret used silicone type sealer inside the cooler that will break down/come loose if exposed to solvent, gas,thinner etc.... too long.
And like earl brown said looks like normal build up over time.

Back