You can type here any text you want

Is this the infamous felpro split

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DarthBuick

I Win even in your dreams.
oilpan 1.jpg oilpan 2.jpgI took these pics when I took my engine apart. I have been reading on here about rubber gaskets splitting so is the consensus cork is better than rubber in these applications? Edit : You can see where it was hitting the pan.

Attachments

• oilpan-1.jpg
    oilpan-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Take a look at your oil pan and see if you have contact (witness mark on the pan) with the passengers side rear main stud......I'll bet that the stud is hitting the pan and someone over tightened that area in an attempt to stop a leak. Also it looks like where the main fits into the block the blob of silicone may have been hard before the gasket was installed.

I just discovered this stud problem on my own teardown and I can guarantee unless something has been done to clearance that particular stud it's hitting.

Last edited:
X2 on this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ shortening the rear studs and using 12 point nuts on theses 2 are common place. I keep the 12 point nuts on hand just for this. Nuts should be available from summit or jegs ARP 12 point 1/2-20 thread. the stud will have to be modded by you.

I wish I had posted this a couple of weeks ago. I just had the ARP head studs come in yesterday and would have saved a couple of bucks on shipping. Thanks
X2 on this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ shortening the rear studs and using 12 point nuts on theses 2 are common place. I keep the 12 point nuts on hand just for this. Nuts should be available from summit or jegs ARP 12 point 1/2-20 thread. the stud will have to be modded by you.
You were right on the money. I checked the pan and could see the contact mark. What is the part number for 12 pt nut if you know what it is? Thanks.

I wish I had posted this a couple of weeks ago. I just had the ARP head studs come in yesterday and would have saved a couple of bucks on shipping. Thanks

You were right on the money. I checked the pan and could see the contact mark. What is the part number for 12 pt nut if you know what it is? Thanks.
use this # ARP 300-8324 this is a 2 piece pack, 8740 chrome-moly black oxide 1/2-20 12 point nuts.

Is this on all 84-87 turbo 3.8's?

Like even my hot air can have that nut hit the oil oan?

Back