You can type here any text you want

It Lives! But is this noise normal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
My 86 T-Type has been sitting in a garage for 8-9 years without being started. I changed the fluids today got out most of the old gas, put a bit of fresh in, fogged the cylinders with a little oil, primed the pump and it fired right up.

I am not sure about a noise it is making though. The car is warmed up to operating temp. Oil pressure is 20-25.

[video=youtube;WNSQMMUm4u0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSQMMUm4u0[/video]

You can hear a tick/knock at idle. The car does have TRW forged pistions which if I remember right are not quiet. Any ideas?

I took the car around my side streets and the trans shifts good (yeah!) and the brakes seem to be working, although I will be pulling the wheels off and giving them and the suspension a good going-over once I find the damn wheel lock.

Chris.

these will take car or your wheel locks available at your local sears and work great on wheel locks. make sure to REALLY pound them on or they will slip.

we have a lot of rusty/rounded off bolts here in the northeast and these work great on those as well.

Craftsman Bolt-Out 5 pc. Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set Reviews - Craftsman Community

congrats on getting it running after all these years good luck on your other problem

Like mike said it sounds like an exaust leak!! What weight oil are you using maybe the liftres need to be pumped more put some miles on it to see if it changes anything good luck

sounds like an exhaust leak.

Like mike said it sounds like an exaust leak!! What weight oil are you using maybe the liftres need to be pumped more put some miles on it to see if it changes anything good luck

I will have to check. I know the DS header was welded but maybe it's the crossover leaking. Right now the oil is Penzoil 10-40. I know the car used to run 20-50 but the store didn't have enough of it to do the oil change yesterday (car has a deep sump oil pan and remote oil filter so it holds 7-8qt).

these will take car or your wheel locks available at your local sears and work great on wheel locks. make sure to REALLY pound them on or they will slip.

we have a lot of rusty/rounded off bolts here in the northeast and these work great on those as well.

Craftsman Bolt-Out 5 pc. Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set Reviews - Craftsman Community

congrats on getting it running after all these years good luck on your other problem

Looks like a trip to sears may be in order. Luckly it is only the front wheels because the back has long studs.

i also sometimes use a ballpeen hammer in between socket and hammer the ballpeen with a 3lb mallet. i do this to to try to minimize the risk of whacking the wheel or fingers. the set in that link was a small set the offer a larger (more pieces) set for like $30 WELL WORTH THE $$$$

how about a few pic of the car? i liked the oddball colored ones !!!

i also sometimes use a ballpeen hammer in between socket and hammer the ballpeen with a 3lb mallet. i do this to to try to minimize the risk of whacking the wheel or fingers. the set in that link was a small set the offer a larger (more pieces) set for like $30 WELL WORTH THE $$$$

how about a few pic of the car? i liked the oddball colored ones !!!

Good News! Found the key for the wheel-locks!

Here is a couple pics when I pulled it out of my sis-in-laws garage after it had sat since 2002-2003, it's been washed since then but I didn't get a chance to pull the pictures off the camera yet. It needs some work, but it will be worth it :)

86TType2.jpg86TType1.jpg

Congrats on getting it going.

Did you pull the valve covers and verify oil to both heads/top end getting oil while priming?

Could be a stuck lifter (not spinning or priming due to funky old oil), exh leak, etc.

Make sure and have some ZDDP additive in teh oil and I would run some marvel mystery oil in it as well. If you use the MMO i would go with a thicker oil since it will thin it.

Well fr the video sounds like something my car was doing when it got hot or every blue moon it was a sound like a lifter or a rod knocking it landed up being my cam shaft sensor banging up an down sounds just like a rod take a peace of old hose an listen to the cam sensor or try to find where its coming from hope this helps going fast with class!!!!!!

Back