You can type here any text you want

jack merkel engines

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yeah I echo fArties above post.........we can if we want all go to the nats but not being members of the gsca we know that we can't race our cars till we join. Not a problem.... thats just the rules of the game and you either play by them or don't.........we the Richs Auto crew chose not to henceforth we dont go....no biggie E-town is only 20 minutes away anyway.

Paul you are right Mr. Lassiter did spend some quality time on the phone solving problems for which we thank him, among them allowing us to get back on the gsca BB. My comment was certain folks, in our opinon, if they had their way would not have listened to Mr. Lassiters suggestions. Henceforth making our welcomeability suspect. But hey the world does not revolve around us even though that's not what Jim Romanello would have you believe.......platehead......lol.

sniff, sniff.....i'm beginning to feel the love
Now Thats Gold Jerry....GOLD.

Now lets all set a date to Race @ E town.... Richie you Kneel down..

Originally posted by laymond thomas
thinking about getting steel caps or a girdle or both i want some security when i really turn up the boost:D any body use his engines.mylast1

I'm reasonably sure there are a number of TRs running around with Merkel motors...whether their owners post on Internet message boards or not, no one can say.

It's an excellent question and here's hoping you get some more helpful replies!

HTH :)

OK, I have read this post. I was annoyed at first, tried to stay quiet, but couldn't with all this misinformation that is going around. I wish people will get the facts first before posting lies/rumors.

For you guys that disagree with the extra $35 that is needed for BG, I'll spot you the $35 and you don't have to give it back either. Don't come up with excuses either ie: work load, safety issues, just take your Led Zepplin/Elvis CDs, stick them in your CD player and start heading towards BG. I heard that "Rich's Custom Auto" has a new tow vehicle, how 'bout breaking it going over the Appalian Mountains? Any takers?????????:confused: You know who you are!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Yes, I still have 150 more miles left to break in the motor. Between my work schedule and weather hopefully I'll have it broken in within 2 weeks.

Yes, I was there to witness Ron Joseph's 10 sec runs at E-town.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I think to a degree, most 109 blocks are built the same. I know some of the more experienced 109 builders have some tricks that they have learned over the years, but I have also learned that some builders charge considerably more for a stock rebuild. I'd find out what needs to be done then call a few east coast shops, get prices, and then figure out who you trust. Everyone will say the person who built their motor is the best, even though they have no clue what a good rebuild is. The only way I would trust a builder over a BB is if the builder has multiple engines pushing the envelope of the 109 block, which IMHO is multiple mid 10 sec or lower motors. I would hope even an inexperienced 109 builder could hold together a 109 in the 11's.

OK, I have read this post. I was annoyed at first, tried to stay quiet, but couldn't with all this misinformation that is going around. I wish people will get the facts first before posting lies/rumors.

Billy,
Not to start a War, Where are the Lies & Rumors??

For you guys that disagree with the extra $35 that is needed for BG, I'll spot you the $35 and you don't have to give it back either. Don't come up with excuses either ie: work load, safety issues, just take your Led Zepplin/Elvis CDs, stick them in your CD player and start heading towards BG. I heard that "Rich's Custom Auto" has a new tow vehicle, how 'bout breaking it going over the Appalian Mountains? Any takers????????? You know who you are!!!!!!
Most of Us Have to put in for Vaction time, With me That is my worst time of the year to go anywhere. The Safety thing I'll leave alone :eek: .
And if you had a problem with the way something was run & didn't like it would you support it????

I'm reasonably sure there are a number of TRs running around with Merkel motors...whether their owners post on Internet message boards or not, no one can say.

It's an excellent question and here's hoping you get some more helpful replies!

HTH

Thats a good call Jim.... You beat me to the Punch.....

Jim

Originally posted by gnxtc2

For you guys that disagree with the extra $35 that is needed for BG, I'll spot you the $35 and you don't have to give it back either.

Don't come up with excuses either ie: work load, safety issues, just take your Led Zepplin/Elvis CDs, stick them in your CD player and start heading towards BG. I heard that "Rich's Custom Auto" has a new tow vehicle, how 'bout breaking it going over the Appalian Mountains? Any takers?????????:confused: You know who you are!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Yes, I still have 150 more miles left to break in the motor. Between my work schedule and weather hopefully I'll have it broken in within 2 weeks.

>>> Hi Billy,

I think folks have gotten their answers in this post about whos running what (mostly daily drivers) as Mike Wade posted and we know of one Jack Merkel 109 block in the 10's (Rons).......so I think we now have a good feel.

Thanks for spotting us the $35, think that will come to about $315 for the entire Richs Auto/JCC Racing crew........even then not sure all the guys would go cause when they get their mind made up they can be pretty stubborn.....Take Jim Romanello for example.

Well sometimes work issues do come up and we all have to take that into considdderation, three of the Richs Auto/JCC Racing crew unfortunetly have lost their jobs, so finding employment to pay mortgages has become top priority for them which it should be. I know you agree.

Safety issues at BG......well think their past history speaks for itself.

Led Zep and Elvis CD's ughhhhhh that definetly won't get me to BG if I gotta listen to that with fArtie for 15 hours......lol.

Who'd ya hear Richs Auto has a tow vehicle??? Sounds to me like some spys from the other RCA may have locked onto something, checking out what other projects are being worked on down here, hmmmmmmm then again we could have a leak internally within the Richs Auto ranks....hmmmmmmm very vexing.

Thanks for the invite to break my "alleged" tow vehicle in thru the very plush green hills of Kentucky...not sure what you meant by the "any takers"...confused smiley and the "you know who you are" sarcastic roll of eyes smiley either. Battle of the tow vehicles maybe.

Good to hear you only have 150 miles of break in left on your motor, once shes broken in please keep us posted on how she runs, hopefully yours will be the 2nd Merkel motor that we will know of in the 10's......Best of luck.

I was there too to witness rons 10 second runs at Etown too I think it was at a High Tech shoot out.......I saw his 10.82 then he loaded up trailer and left.......I only wish he could have stayed around another 37 minutes to see my 10.79 run, it was my best to date.

Warmest Regards

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
You are correct Billy. On further thinking I do remember when that happened. I wasn't there but I was there on the phone with Richie who was racing. I got a call in the afternoon from Rich saying, "I lost the title, Ron just ran a 10.82!" Rich had previously held the title for about 2 years with a 10.87 (or maybe 10.84). Anyway, I told Rich you gotta make a decision, either turn over the crown or turn up the boost. Needless to say Rich gave the old knob a twist and in about 45 minutes had the title back when he ran a 10.79. We were jumping for joy! I had forgotten all about that. I'm sure Ron had thought he had the title back firmly in his grasp but in reality, before he had gotten home it was lost again.

Thanks for reminding me of that, I had long forgotten. It was a wondrous night, man and machine dueling it out in the interest of fun and quest of speed!

I'm glad you are getting your motor all broken in. I have no doubt that you'll be bringing the 109 10 second title back home to Ron's Custom Auto. That will only make us at Rich's Custom Auto try and run that much faster. We’ll have to dig deep into our bag of tricks which brought you such items as the Gas Pedal Block (GBP a competitor to the TPS tech) as well as other go fast goodies. :) I think we have become complacent over the past year or so....

Screamin6

You know I would comment there, but I'll keep my mouth shut.

Holy Christ on a pony! I just wasted a half hour reading through 4 pages of useless bull sh!t.

I have a spare engine I'm going to need done and was interested in the thread. The only thing I have learned from this is that ALL of you are Great at senseless bickering and personal stabs.:rolleyes: Does this even belong in the tech forum at this point?

Sorry, I'm just pissed that I wasted 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back!:mad: This thread needs to be locked for the good of all.

If anyone remembers, or even cares anymore, this was the original question:rolleyes:

Originally posted by laymond thomas
thinking about getting steel caps or a girdle or both i want some security when i really turn up the boost:D any body use his engines.mylast1

Re: Re: jack merkel engines

Originally posted by Tow Man
Holy Christ on a pony! I just wasted a half hour reading through 4 pages of useless bull sh!t.

I have a spare engine I'm going to need done and was interested in the thread. The only thing I have learned from this is that ALL of you are Great at senseless bickering and personal stabs.:rolleyes: Does this even belong in the tech forum at this point?

Sorry, I'm just pissed that I wasted 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back!:mad: This thread needs to be locked for the good of all.

If anyone remembers, or even cares anymore, this was the original question:rolleyes:
That is the question being asked. I "personally" asked if there were any 10's run with a Merkel engine. I went out on a limb assuming that the original poster was wanting to go into the 10’s if they were willing to spend the money to girdle a block. One person has stood up to the call. We also found out that most of the rebuilds are stock'ish rebuilds. Billy T has a monster of a roller engine that he is putting the final break in touches on. So, going back to the original question of if people are running his engines the answer is yes, many of them stock'ish. It's still up in the air how many are pushing the limits. As for steel caps yes, I know Jack has done this to a bunch of motors. As for girdles, I don't know. I'd imagine Billy T's monster probably has a girdle.

When dealing with engine builders, you'll find that people are fiercely loyal when happy with their builder. I think you are seeing this. I think you have learned a lot through this thread.

Originally posted by Buicksx2

PS. What fArtie said......Paul's a good guy.

PS, what Buicksx2 said:) Paul's a great great guy.

_BOB Mantz

I heard that "Rich's Custom Auto" has a new tow vehicle, how 'bout breaking it going over the Appalian Mountains? Any takers?????????:confused: You know who you are!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
OK, you caught me, I'm tired of driving my 9 second race car 25 miles each way to the track! Now I just need a trailer, anyone got a used one in good shape they want to part with cheap? ;)

Art.

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
OK, you caught me, I'm tired of driving my 9 second race car 25 miles each way to the track! Now I just need a trailer, anyone got a used one in good shape they want to part with cheap? ;)

>>> Hey fArtie how can you use my "alleged" tow vehicle if in fact it is truely "alleged"?.....hmmmmm think about it.

Getting back to the original post I think most will agree that if you girdle a block it would be better/stronger than just putting on the caps. Just look at guys like Jason Cramer who's gone into the 9's with a girdled block, impressive to say the least.

>>> Hey fArtie how can you use my "alleged" tow vehicle if in fact it is truely "alleged"?.....hmmmmm think about it.

Getting back to the original post I think most will agree that if you girdle a block it would be better/stronger than just putting on the caps. Just look at guys like Jason Cramer who's gone into the 9's with a girdled block, impressive to say the least.
True, it's only alleged that I drive a 9 second stage II car to the track 25 miles each way... ;)

So Richie, how’s that house construction coming along? Did the contractor get all those trucks, tractors and dumpsters off your property yet?

When you inviting the boys down for a BBQ?

Ya know what would be interesting to note too is how fast guys have gone with girdle.....with caps and without.

I guess the key is to just not detonate and you should be fine.

Artie almost done with addition but there are still a few guys here with their trucks finishing up the small stuff.

BBQ to follow at Richs Auto when we are all said and done with the house project.

Ya know what would be interesting to note too is how fast guys have gone with girdle.....with caps and without.

I guess the key is to just not detonate and you should be fine.
How about how fast people have gone without steel caps or forged/fillet cranks! :eek:

Controlling detonation is the trick!

I wasted my time reading this topic. I am dumb and should have known, it was a total waste of time. Too many personal issues came up.

I will say that the membership dues and race fee adds up to the price of a dinner and maybe a movie (as long as we donot have any drinks) for my wife and I.
I get a bi- monthly newsletter and have several days of fun, racing and good people for the fees.
I sent them in early and received the discount too.
See you guys in BG.

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
How about how fast people have gone without steel caps or forged/fillet cranks! :eek:

Controlling detonation is the trick!

>>> FWIW my wife's T doesnt have steel caps nor a turbo crank and has gone 11.4 but is always filled with 116, plus my handy dandy Jim Testa chips helps alot.

I think we all learned some things in this thread, maybe we'll get to Bowling Green for the Nats next year to join in on all the fun.

Hey Rich

How about us down here taking up a collection and pay your expenses. You already got a guy wanting to pay your dues. This way you can come down to the nats. and join us in all the fun and racing. If we can collect enough money maybe we can get enough to cover some of your boys expenses to come too. We know this subject went into the dumper just as you and yours jumped on and we also found it to wind up being a waste of time and reading because of this. This is nothing new for you boys. Another thing is we have been watching the boards recently and you boys were the only ones who have even posted something negative or had not so nice things to say about the nats. We went back to last year and it was only you boys on the other side. All the other things we see are good. Maybe if we can get you down here into the thick of things we can change your mind if thats all possible. How about it? or is that hardon you have incurable. Let us know. Many of us want to know if you will come.

Greg Larsen
USMC Ret.

Back