Jim Testa Street Chip (Attn: Jim!)

8UWITH6

Keepin' The Shiny Side Up
I just got the motor back in the Ttype a few weeks back. Did a little freshening and I finally have 300+ miles on it and have started tuning it back in. I put the Testa chip back in it (took out the junk ass thrasher) and I noticed that the BLMs and INT are pegged at 150 at idle. Please correct me if Im wrong, but that means the car is lean right? Well, according to my fuel pressure gauge, my fuel is 45-47 line off which I believe is a tad high for blue tops. Ive had it up to 50psi line off and there is no change in the BLMs and INT at idle. Idle quality is pretty darn good and there is no tip in stumble at all. WOT the BLMs and INT lock at 128, and the car runs out pretty well. Cruising speeds the BLMs and INT are "within range" at 120-140ish. Its just idle its pegged. Can anyone give me some ideas? Thanks!!!!!

You got a translator in there?

If its a blue top chip, I think I got a good handle on them and if you dont have a translator, you beter check for post MAF leaks, or a faulty MAF.

Any other ideas Jim? I checked the MAF and IC hoses. Thanks

Oh ya, stock MAF, no screens removed, gets 240+ at WOT

Only 240+ and the car runs that ET? You should be able to easily move enough air to get it to 255. I'd try another MAF just for the heck of it.

Originally posted by JayC
Only 240+ and the car runs that ET? You should be able to easily move enough air to get it to 255. I'd try another MAF just for the heck of it.

Some of the differences in WOT g/s are code related.
Some cars will never do over 220.

Thats true. I dont think thats the case here but as usual, you are correct professor :)

Jay, thanks for the reply. I guess I could swap mafs next weekend when Im back home where the GN is......

I dont know, idle quality is decent. The only thing Ive started to notice is that when I first start up the car (cold or warm) and take off, it kinda sputters. It feels like it is laboring to get the car moving??? It only does this for about 2 minutes, then its fine. No tip in, nothing. But BLMs are still pegged 148-150. INT is usually close to 128 now. According to my fuel pressure gauge, Im running 45 line off which is a tad high for blue tops I thought. (I know every car is different. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas. Im still gonna check for a post-MAF air leak. *Shrugs*

PS- the 13.30 at 104 was before the engine freshening. That was with 116K mile original valve springs and timing chain.

Brass PCV check-valve, with zip ties on the hoses. All new vac hoses, almost all zip tied.

Actually sounds like a very large vacuum leak to peg both the INT and BLM like that. A significant pre turbo exhaust leak will also do that same thing (don't ask how I know that one :rolleyes: )

Bruce, while what you're saying is true about the MAF tables controlling whether or not you could peg the MAF or how quickly you can do it. You can however, literally count on one hand the number of "chip makers" who would know how to do that or would have the "zingers" to even try it. ;)

I'd say that about 99% of the chips out there are still running bone stock MAF tables.

Alright, checked all the IC hoses, MAF hoses, Turbo Inlet Bell Plug, etc. Made sure all vac lines where tight, etc.

Heres some numbers:

AF- 05
L8- 35 (I like to see 30)
BAT- 14.1
INT- 135-150 (mostly in the 140s)
BL- 148-150
CLT- 160
ATS- 100
RPM- 750-775
TPS- .42
IAC- 25 (pretty decent)
FP- 45 line OFF (according to my gauge)
EGT- 710-725*

All idle numbers in park

Car still seems like its idle is moving around a bit. Occasionally the RPMs would go from 750 up to 825 for a second. I have decent vacuum, 18ish in park. I dont know, this car is pissing me off.:D

Im gonna go stand on it a few times and get some numbers....

Okay, here we go........92 octane pump gas, Testa Chip.

30mph punch, car didnt kick down......2nd gear pull basically

828 02s
12.2 KR!
Heard audible knock (popcorn sound under hood)
MAF went to 250 and stayed there (that is what I was watching really)

Down the road a bit I did a 55mph punch....car kicked into 2nd gear....

812 02s @ 57mph
5.9 KR @ 80mph
MAX EGT - 1568*
Boost- 15psi when I glanced up in 3rd gear
I ran the car to about 5 grand in 3rd gear and shut down.

Heres the numbers after the WOT pull above in PARK:

AF- 04
L8- 31
BAT- 13.5
INT- 128-130
BL- 148-150
CLT- 175
ATS- 138
RPM- 750
IAC- 15

Last numbers are a 2nd gear roll (15mph kick down to 1st gear and ran it into 3rd gear to about 85-90mph)

785 02s @ 22mph
10.5 KR @ 57mph (2-3 shift probably, went away)
Boost- noticed it was 16psi solid in 1st and 2nd gear, when the car went to 3rd, the boost went down to 14psi (maybe because of the KR?) and creeped back to 15psi.
MAX EGT- 1481*

One other thing, cruising home at 35mph, BLs are in the low to mid 120s, but as soon as I slow down to turn or stop, they go right back up in the high 140s, or peg at 150.

Just let me know what you all think. I think Im gonna turn the fuel up some, because my gauge might not be that accurate. THANKS as always guys.

I was hoping that somebody would take a look at all those numbers and give me their thoughts on whats up with the car. I guess Ill just swap MAF sensors this weekend. Thanks

Originally posted by 8UWITH6
Brass PCV check-valve, with zip ties on the hoses. All new vac hoses, almost all zip tied.

Try an AC DELCO PCV with nothing else in there. They are metered and anything else can alter the BLM's.

Originally posted by 8UWITH6
Okay, here we go........92 octane pump gas, Testa Chip.

30mph punch, car didnt kick down......2nd gear pull basically

828 02s
12.2 KR!
Heard audible knock (popcorn sound under hood)
MAF went to 250 and stayed there (that is what I was watching really)

Down the road a bit I did a 55mph punch....car kicked into 2nd gear....

812 02s @ 57mph
5.9 KR @ 80mph
MAX EGT - 1568*
Boost- 15psi when I glanced up in 3rd gear
I ran the car to about 5 grand in 3rd gear and shut down.

Ouch!! You are gonna hurt something if you keep doing that! How much timing is in that chip? With 92 octane I wouldn't want more than 18 degrees timing and 15-16 psi boost without alchy injection.

Chad

18* chip, 16psi. The funny thing is, it doesnt usually knock that much. I dont know, Ill be swapping MAFs this weekend.

Neil, make octane a non-problem. How much fuel is in your car right now? Add some xylene, like 10% and an ounce of trans fluid for lubricant to your fuel. I know you probably run 92 all the time out there but maybe you got some bad gas in the equation as well. Won't cure the leanness though. This is a $20 experiment; 10% xylene should put you at about 95 octane.

Well, I didnt really have time to tune the car this weekend since I was replacing the flywheel and converter. I did pull the MAF off my GN though and will try messing with it tomorrow. I may also take the PCV check-valve out and see what happens there.

JIM, I remember you telling me about "lean cruise mode" on your chips. Would this cause the BLMs to read 140s or so at a constant 70mph speed? Also, EGTs at 70mph were in the 1050-1150* range.........seems LEAN to me?? Im still new to the EGT thing except for the basic understanding of WOT values. Anyhow, Ill have time to mess with the car tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas.

John Larkin, I havent run anything but 92 in the car in a long time. However, eventually I will do the "octane test" on it. Thanks :)

Chad is right, get RID of that brass PCV valve.

They DO cause high BLM's....

(I didn't say they MIGHT cause high BLM's, there is no doubt here....)

TurboBob

I dont have any problem in my Grand National, and it has the same brass check-valve