You can type here any text you want

Just got back from Smog station......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

baller760

Well, I just got back from the smog station to get my car looked over to find out what it needs. I recently purchased it from north carolina and I guess over there they do not need to pass emissions. So, I already knew that I needed a catalytic converter, but I didn't know what else. Well, I come to find out that I don't have an EGR for some odd reason, it's been blocked off. My check engine light doesn't turn on when you turn the key, I already knew this however, just gonna buy a scanmaster to check it. And finally, I don't have any o2 sensors? WTF? I thought there was a bung and everything and you always needed an o2 sensor? Am I missing something here. I've never heard of deleting one. Then find all of these parts and get her tuned and running good. What a pain in the a$$.

dang, sorry to hear about those troubles. Its pretty easy to change a chip to run in full time open loop at which point you can just remove the o2 sensor especially if someone has pulled the SES light so that no o2 or egr "issues" can set a code and set off the light. Not to many full time open loop chips out there as you need a wideband to really get the MAF tables configured so that the A/F ratio for basicallty any MAF value from idle up to 255g/s gives a reasonable A/F ratio for the car to run decent. But if someone was just trying to get it running and sell it they may not have done any of that and the car would just run whatever A/F its going to run based on the MAF tables that are there.

good luck with it,
HTH

Have a high mileage Limited in New York. Failed smog test. Found out my o2 ssensor and egr valve was not working. Thanks to my T'Link.Replaced the parts...will let you know....Going to have motor done and put heads on car from buddy of mine....Good luck HTH'ed

baller760:
I modified your thread and if you look at my email address, you'll know why. Please don't discuss clean piping in this forum. Does the engine have stock exhaust headers? If so, the O2 bung may still be there. You'll have to find out who's chip is installed to determine if EGR delete in set up. If there is just a plate, maybe you can just install a EGR valve and set the vacuum routing up. While you're reviewing scan data, the EGR solenoid may be showing action. If so, that would be a good thing for you.

Damn near every test I have been to they have always had troubles finding the O2 sensor. Probably just could not locate it. Check it out. Good Luck, Mark

All operating cars in North Carolina are supposed to be given a visual inspection looking for cats, egr, AIR, PCV, etc. once a year. Of course, if you know someone, getting an inspection sticker is NO problem. Sounds like you got taken. Did you ask the seller if the car met current NC emissions standards? Did the car have a current inspection sticker on it when you got the car?
Conrad Carter
North Carolina

ps...South Carolina...that is a whole different story. No annual vehicle inspection there.

Back