You can type here any text you want

Just got my first GN

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Thanks Longball!

Steve, the windshield/bumper/oil thing sounds bat shit crazy but WTH I will try anything.

Both valve cover breathers are aftermarket (looks like a K&N) style open element. Drivers side header has the heat shield, I will look into that later, and unless these cars came with a Flowmaster exahust system, this car has been upgraded with a Flowmaster cat back system welded in. I cannot believe how clean the under side of this car is...

BTW, I was under the car last night and found this wiring pigtail and was wondering what this was. This is under the trunk right behind the gas tank, any ideas.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 141
Possible fuel pump hot wire relay check where the wires lead to just follow the wires.

Yes, that is my plan, but even with the garage heater last night.. it was too cold after 2 hours. I will get out there tonight and check it out. One last question since this is such a hot topic. If the previous owner did in fact change the fuel pump, do I need to drop the tank to check it? I will get under there later tonight and see what I can find out.

I would just leave everything alone, you can just verify your fuel pressure up front and you should be fine no need to drop the tank unless your having some sort of problem? If it aint broke don't touch it. ;) One thing you can do since your dying to work on it, is just go thru your spring cleaning which are regular wear items,

just looking at the engine shot you can tell that car has been cared for no need to do anything. Enjoy it.;)

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

I would just leave everything alone, you can just verify your fuel pressure up front and you should be fine no need to drop the tank unless your having some sort of problem? If it aint broke don't touch it. ;) One thing you can do since your dying to work on it, is just go thru your spring cleaning which are regular wear items,

just looking at the engine shot you can tell that car has been cared for no need to do anything. Enjoy it.;)

X2...Don't fix what ain't broke. It will break on it's own in time!

Yup that is the hot wire relay. Either carry a spare relay, or realize that you can unplug that connector and take it out of the loop and plug the stock connectors back together when that relay fails. It will save you a tow.

I agree with everything you guys are saying, but I still feel like I should find out what fuel pump I have. I would also like to make a few minor upgrades to have it run better, ie. Chip, FPR, etc. I don't want another race car, I got rid of that already, but I would like to have a strong running GN.

Live4RDO, I am in suburbs of Detroit.

I had to yank out the chime three years ago. It wouldn't stop going off every time I hit a bump. Taking it out is a pain in the @$$!

The hood support between the windshield wipers will make some loud cracking noises. I don't use oil but I do put a little black axle grease on the rubber part and it tends to last about six months.

Okay, Chime thing is officially no more. I also realzied that the stereo was not working, it would turn on, and send the antenna up but no sound. So I am tearing that apart figuring this will all be revealed with the extra battery lead, but it does not make a lot of sense unless amps drove all the speakers in the car.

Also, how do I determine if I have an upgraded fuel pump without getting to it and verifying?

that site has a lot of great info...

I am not sure if this is normal but the front grill is only attached at the top and I cannot find another mouting point unless something mounts from behind the grill like a brace. But suffice to say the grill pushes inwards from the bottom a couple of inches.. is this normal?

It's normal should be a spring also back there to keep the grille pushed forward so if pushed in it should go in a few inches

It's normal should be a spring also back there to keep the grille pushed forward so if pushed in it should go in a few inches

Perfect, that is what I was hoping for. That is exactly what it does.

Thank you!

Get in the trunk and look at the metal brackets that hold the rear speakers in place. If the speaker shifts and the wires touch metal they can shut down the audio.

Good to know about the speakers, although I don't think it will apply in this car. I have torn the interior apart trying to learn as much as I can while it is too snowy outside to drive this thing. I have discovered all of the cables and speaker wires running through this car... I do not want to say its a messs, but suffice to say, I am cleaning up what is here. The Alpine head unit is trashed and the extra wiring to the battery was to supply the entire stereo system, which is sort of cool since it resides on a breaker of it's own on its own circuit.

As far as me not modding this car... I don't know if I can stand not doing some stuff. I know that the chip is stock which will get replaced once I figure out what I want to do with the car... First thoughts were to upgrade the valve springs since it seems they are a weak link. Injectors are 30#, which is just barely above stock. I need an FPR, the pump and hot wire kit are already done... I can't help think that a stock appearing turbo upgrade would be cool... But what else do I need to upgrade along with that? Down pipe, bigger injectors, intercooler, pulleys? Again, I dont want to go nuts, but from my research this would be a nice jump from stock.

Thoughts?

Good to know about the speakers, although I don't think it will apply in this car. I have torn the interior apart trying to learn as much as I can while it is too snowy outside to drive this thing. I have discovered all of the cables and speaker wires running through this car... I do not want to say its a messs, but suffice to say, I am cleaning up what is here. The Alpine head unit is trashed and the extra wiring to the battery was to supply the entire stereo system, which is sort of cool since it resides on a breaker of it's own on its own circuit.

As far as me not modding this car... I don't know if I can stand not doing some stuff. I know that the chip is stock which will get replaced once I figure out what I want to do with the car... First thoughts were to upgrade the valve springs since it seems they are a weak link. Injectors are 30#, which is just barely above stock. I need an FPR, the pump and hot wire kit are already done... I can't help think that a stock appearing turbo upgrade would be cool... But what else do I need to upgrade along with that? Down pipe, bigger injectors, intercooler, pulleys? Again, I dont want to go nuts, but from my research this would be a nice jump from stock.

Thoughts?
Well, a lot depends on what your goals are. Is it a car you want to drive a couple of thousand miles a year and always be reliable (trying not to laugh) and get 20 miles a gallon, or is it a car you want to take to the track and live on the edge. My set up has been carefree for over 75k (145k total), and I get 22mpg, but I don't race it. For that matter, I use regular gas just because I know I am not going to go WOT. If want to play a little I use a tank of 93. Now, if I were to race it, I would add alchy, a little more converter, a little tranny tweaking, a line lock, slicks and bags and be well into the 11's. But, with shitty gas milage, breaking parts and a light wallet, (although I would have a good size grin).

Well, a lot depends on what your goals are. Is it a car you want to drive a couple of thousand miles a year and always be reliable (trying not to laugh) and get 20 miles a gallon, or is it a car you want to take to the track and live on the edge. My set up has been carefree for over 75k (145k total), and I get 22mpg, but I don't race it. For that matter, I use regular gas just because I know I am not going to go WOT. If want to play a little I use a tank of 93. Now, if I were to race it, I would add alchy, a little more converter, a little tranny tweaking, a line lock, slicks and bags and be well into the 11's. But, with shitty gas milage, breaking parts and a light wallet, (although I would have a good size grin).
Thanks again Steve.

To be honest, I am not 100% certain what I want out of it. I guess I want to keep it stock appearing and normal driving for the most part... but like you said I want to know if I want to have some fun that the shit is there to have some fun.

A couple of other tips come to mind. When you are driving and you hit a bump, especially in the cold, you may hear a noise that sounds like it is coming from your dashboard or the base of your windshield. To fix this noise you simply pull your oil dipstick, wipe your finger on the oil, and clean your finger off by wiping it on the round rubber bumper under the back of the hood between the 2 wipers.

Thanks for that tip, I pulled the dash apart and put rubber on every contact point and was pissed when I drove it the next morning IN THE COLD and the squeaking noise was just as bad as before I did anything.
It would almost totally go away when it's warm out, but is loud as hell first ting in the morning.

That would have been the last thing I would have checked as it sounds like it's in the car [dash].

I'm going to grease it tonight and hope for a quiet ride into work in the morning.

Bought this car six months ago and it's been driving me mad everyday.

TIA for giving me my sanity back.

RZ

Back