Keep Blowing 30AMP Fuel Pump Fuse

V8killR4U

Drove the car home from the shop made a quick blast and the car just shut down. Coasted into the drive, found that my 30 amp FP fuse under the dash blew. Replaced the fuse car starts back. Drive the car a few feet, starts sputtering etc idleing very eratic and next thing you know car dies. Fuse blew again, replaced the fuse, and immediately after i turn the key the fuse pops. Pushed the car back in the garage and havnt messed with it since. Where should i look. Seems as if something is shorting. Hot wire for fuel pump maybe? I did have a FAST in the car at one time and the injector wire was cut. Maybe that wire is exposed and touching something to cause the short. Some work was done in the engine bay, so maybe something got snagged, or displaced during repair at the shop considering the heads were off the car?

Just looking for a list of things to check when i go look at it.

Thanks

Drove the car home from the shop made a quick blast and the car just shut down. Coasted into the drive, found that my 30 amp FP fuse under the dash blew. Replaced the fuse car starts back. Drive the car a few feet, starts sputtering etc idleing very eratic and next thing you know car dies. Fuse blew again, replaced the fuse, and immediately after i turn the key the fuse pops. Pushed the car back in the garage and havnt messed with it since. Where should i look. Seems as if something is shorting. Hot wire for fuel pump maybe? I did have a FAST in the car at one time and the injector wire was cut. Maybe that wire is exposed and touching something to cause the short. Some work was done in the engine bay, so maybe something got snagged, or displaced during repair at the shop considering the heads were off the car?

Just looking for a list of things to check when i go look at it.

Thanks
check one of your injector wires for grounding out and also check your oil pressure sending unit wires for grounding out

When mine did that it was a wire right behind the alternator that was touching the exhaust manifold.

Check fuel pump wire behind the alternator. The connector becomes loose and bare wire will be exposed. Mine shorted out on a brake line.

On your schematic layout where exactly does the 30Amp fuse go to? ohh never mind i see it (fuel pump)

Your ground fault, or short, would be down by the pump itself or check very closely at the (green i think) connector plug under the hood down behind the alternator where the tach also plugs in, I think they are together pretty close make sure you have a good clean connection & no frayed wires all the way back into the wire loom. I tried to wire a lighted toggle switch to the fuel pump prime connector & it wouldnt work it kept blowing that same fuse, i put a regular non lighted switch in it ran fine. so thats where you could start looking.
hth.

Jovi, when that happened to me last year, it was my fuel pump that went south. Kept blowing my fuses under the dashboard. Is your pump internal or external? Mine is external and when I put my hand on it it was hot within secs of cold start up.
If its not that, look at the connections near the pump.

" check one of your injector wires for grounding out and also check your oil pressure sending unit wires for grounding out "

Basically there are two circuits on that fuse, pump and injectors.

If the fuse is still blowing instantly when you turn the key on, try this first step.

Disconnect the fuel injection harness behind the coil pack area, then try a new fuse, if it DOESN'T blow it's in the injection harness itself, if it still pops it's in the fuel pump wiring and I'd start at the oil pressure switch wiring in the front of the motor as previously suggested.

Separating the harness for an instantly blowing fuse cuts the troubleshooting in half and isolates the problem a bit for you.

" check one of your injector wires for grounding out and also check your oil pressure sending unit wires for grounding out "

Basically there are two circuits on that fuse, pump and injectors.

If the fuse is still blowing instantly when you turn the key on, try this first step.

Disconnect the fuel injection harness behind the coil pack area, then try a new fuse, if it DOESN'T blow it's in the injection harness itself, if it still pops it's in the fuel pump wiring and I'd start at the oil pressure switch wiring in the front of the motor as previously suggested.

Separating the harness for an instantly blowing fuse cuts the troubleshooting in half and isolates the problem a bit for you.

Went this morning to the storage unit and unplugged the FP and the fuse went. unplugged the Inj harness the fuse didnt pop. So i guess ill be looking at the Inj harness. Imma try unplugging each wire to try to isolatet he problem. But for the most part this sounds like the issue.

Would you agree?

Went this morning to the storage unit and unplugged the FP and the fuse went. unplugged the Inj harness the fuse didnt pop. So i guess ill be looking at the Inj harness. Imma try unplugging each wire to try to isolatet he problem. But for the most part this sounds like the issue.

Would you agree?

i told you this on the first post i bet you its the one by the egr

i told you this on the first post i bet you its the one by the egr

I didn't start putting it all together til today when i had time to actually look at it. Hopefully I can get this straightned out. :cool:
Thanks for the advice, ill check the one by the EGR ;)

Ok so I went back to the storage unit and pulled the wire next to the EGR. Thats worked and i actually laughed out loud because you said it. So i wrapped the wire with elctrical tape reconnected it and Presto, it fired up. Once warm i pulled it out thinking i was going to take a lil ride and feel things out. No more than 50 feet, car dies and the fuse pops again. So i unplug the wire that i thought was the problem and nothing, i un plug all the rest and nothing. So at this point should i just say the Injector wire harness is no good and simply replace it or should i check something else at this time. I do feel it is in the injector harness though. Any other ideas?

Ok so I went back to the storage unit and pulled the wire next to the EGR. Thats worked and i actually laughed out loud because you said it. So i wrapped the wire with elctrical tape reconnected it and Presto, it fired up. Once warm i pulled it out thinking i was going to take a lil ride and feel things out. No more than 50 feet, car dies and the fuse pops again. So i unplug the wire that i thought was the problem and nothing, i un plug all the rest and nothing. So at this point should i just say the Injector wire harness is no good and simply replace it or should i check something else at this time. I do feel it is in the injector harness though. Any other ideas?
i would say it is the harness unplug and see if the fuse stays it is probably too brittle

Here's the diagram for the circuit as well.

Attachments

• FP_Circuit_GN.jpg
    FP_Circuit_GN.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 182
check one of your injector wires for grounding out and also check your oil pressure sending unit wires for grounding out

Well I purchased a used Inj harness, thinking this was the problem. Obviously not. Did a simple check again with new results. Disconnected FP, Disconnected Inj harness, Fuse still blew. I remembered you stating the above, moved the wire around and it worked. Started car, ran for a few mins and the fuse blew again, messed with the same wires and it started up again, i pulled it out and drove it around and it seemed ok.

My question is this. What does the oil pressure sending unit wire have to do with the fuse. Do you think this was my problem all along obviously.:rolleyes:

That's the way I found out on my car.. Pulled the switch off and pulled it away from the motor all together..started looking it over and found a couple spots where it was clearly shorting out on the block... Cut the plug off, taped it up and fine ever since

That's the way I found out on my car.. Pulled the switch off and pulled it away from the motor all together..started looking it over and found a couple spots where it was clearly shorting out on the block... Cut the plug off, taped it up and fine ever since

So this oil pressure wire was causing you to blow your fuse to? Simply rerouting it solved the issue?