Kenne Bell Chip(s) and Turbotweak

It's funny how people blame the chip, when they should actually blame the operator for not monitoring knock. The amount of boost you can run will change with temp, relative humidity, and barometric pressure.

I've never tried Petro 94. I like the 10% ethanol Mohawk/Husky. When Testing Petro/Shell 92 with 92 Mohawk, I could run 3psi more boost with the Mohawk. And another 2-3psi of boost with the Mohawk 94. Mohawk also adds MTBE, which gives more btu output. I've run as high as 22psi straight pump and saw 2' of knock during shifts. I use to go through lots of octane boost(useless), then mixing race fuel with my gas(costly).

You can't beat the newer chips like TT. But the best is to get a hold of Julio and buy one of his Alky kits!

It's funny how people blame the chip, when they should actually blame the operator for not monitoring knock.

X2!... It's easy to understand!...It all comes down to this: With the K-B chips (and every other chip as a matter of fact), BUY A SCANMASTER! and if you see knock, have the good sense to get your foot off of it before it's too late, 'cause if you don't...KABOOM! :eek:

Claude. :wink:

To play devil's advocate how many TR owners have damaged their engines using a 9006u3 KB chip or any other old school chip for that matter? I understand based on the replies that each car is different but some have used many different brands of chips before the current technology of the TT chip came out.

Nothing matters. The chip is not at fault if the engine blows up. Its the operator assumming things are fine. Think you cant damage the engine with the Tweak chip... guess again.. you'd be wrong.

Someone asked me what is safe boost to run on a Buick? Answer... ZERO unless you are monitoring the engine. With ZERO knock.. then the sky is the limit 30+ PSI.

If you read this.. at 16 PSI you can destroy the motor screwing around with chips and octane.. yet the same engine can go 30+ PSI and sustain no damage :wink: given proper tuning=scantool monitoring.

Shame 34k mile GN getting its bearings hammered out cause its owner doesnt want to install a simple scantool and learn to use it.

With hard love,

Julio

PS.. we all sound like broken records.. buy a scanmaster :D and stop asking tuning questions until you have one installed :redface:

Thanks for the info guys. I guess i'll contact some tuners with a scanmaster or better yet buy a scanmaster before winters end to see exactly what is going on... It would definitely be a shame if my engine/car was to be damaged.

Regards,
Realspartan

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 357
seeing as how you like old school i have to ask
is that a 145 speedo or is that a KM unit
and if it is a 145 is it a recalibrated speedo or does it use the speedo gear reducer on the trans or in between the upper and lower speedo cables to make it read properly to 145?
and how long has it been in the car ?

ill tell you why i ask after you respond

?

Paul, it definitely looks like a 145 mph overlay. My GN being a Canadian car, has the kmh scale and the digits are much larger and about the same size as a stock mph speedo for a GN sold in the US. Also, all the digits are white (without any orange "55"mph or equivalent kmh) ...:wink:

Claude. :smile:

It is not an overlay (see picture). It was custom made for me. I believe the correct term to describe it is "silk-screened". It is different than the other 140/145 MPH speedometers out there because there is no yellow tint for the kilometers; it has the OEM orange tint appearance. It has been calibrated for my Grand National without any add-ons (reducers and so on). It is very accurate at any speed. I have even verified it with my GPS.

My original speedometer was in kilometers because I have a Canadian car. I made the change in the fall of 2009 and since then not to many miles/kilometers have been added. The conversion factor used was 0.621371192237 to be exact!

I never liked and never got used to the 85mph/140kmh speedometers installed in the late 70's and 80's especially on the Grand National. They always reminded me that the good old muscle car days were over until the Grand National was produced. In my opinion, all Grand Nationals should have been installed with at least a 125mph/200kmh speedometer from the factory with the same type of appearance that I have now.

Regards,
Realspartan

Attachments

• DSC00082.jpg
    DSC00082.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 330
It is not an overlay (see picture). It was custom made for me. I believe the correct term to describe it is "silk-screened".

Oops!...sorry, I thought it was a stick-on overlay...:redface:...but silk-screened is better. :wink:

also

In my opinion, all Grand Nationals should have been installed with at least a 125mph/200kmh speedometer from the factory with the same type of appearance that I have now.

Regards,
Realspartan

I agree 100%...or even better, all GN's should've had the same gauges as the GNX!...That would've been great! :eek:

Claude. :smile:

and if it is a 145 is it a recalibrated speedo or does it use the speedo gear reducer on the trans or in between the upper and lower speedo cables to make it read properly to 145?
and how long has it been in the car ?

ill tell you why i ask after you respond

I know why.... :wink::tongue: I know you do too... go ahead and 'splain it....:biggrin:

I was having problems with knock at low boost levels (3-5psi), and it would just creep up along with my boost. Scary! Turns out I had one of these chips (KB 9006U3) in the car that I thought was stock. damn KB 9006U3. They are burned for 93 octane. Anything less results in knock under boost.

Last edited: