You can type here any text you want

Key Stuck in Ignition Position

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who Needs 8

So I drove the car to a couple of errands today. Got home, put it in the garage, and the key wouldn't move back. It will move to start (Grinding the starter :eek: ), but I couldn't cut the car off.

So I pulled the ignition fuse to get it to stop running, and I pulled the ground on the battery to save it.

So does anyone have any ideas?

grab the steering column by the instrument cluster and twist it counter clockwise till it stops,ans see if the key comes out

KLHAMMETT said:
grab the steering column by the instrument cluster and twist it counter clockwise till it stops,ans see if the key comes out

Before or after the tilt joint?

Below the tilt joint. My car has loose shift linkage so every now and then when I go to take the key out it does not turn into the lock position but the cr turns off at least. All I have to do is turn the steering column a bit and then the key turns back.

removal problem

Hi,
The ignition switch on our cars is on the steering column, down about 10 inches from the ign. lock. I'm not sure, but there may be an interlock set up between the shifter and ign. switch. I haven't had a problem with my car, so have not had to fool with it.I can tell you that my 86 Firebird has no such device.3 model years may have made a difference.
Anyway, it really sounds like just a jammed switch, which is easily replaced. It's not hard to replace, just hard on the old back, since you will be laying under the dash in a precarious position.You will know when you pull it whether that's the problem or not.It's possible the ignition lock or the related components are f ing up. Ignition switch is a good place to start. Good luck with your trouble!

Mines done this a couple times while it was running. I unplugged the ecm connector by the battery.. that killed the motor.. then moved the key forward to re-start the car.. that un-jammed it. Kinda hard to move the key forward with a running engine.. dont want to mess up the starter/flywheel.

These havd a funky interlock built into the column.. Let me know what you find.. dont want to tear into mine.. already having to.. to change the IGN lock for the VATS.

Alright, Here's what I've tried so far:

I first tried moving the key all the way to the start position (while the battery is off) and got no results.

Then I tried "turning the steering column". I may be misunderstanding this process, but the steering column won't budge, which I would kinda hope and think that it shouldn't.

I have yet to try to find the ignition switch. I need to buy some box fans because I've moved to an new apartment and my current garage has NO ventilation or breeze and it gets above 120 degrees during the day in there. :eek:

Mine is stuck like that right now, the tumbler is worn and the key wont go to the stop position and come out.ONCE you get it out, you can try another key but the actual lock cyl. probably needs to be replaced. The column doesnt move on a T/A like a GN. There ia a small cable attached to the shifter that operates when you put it in park and allows you to move it to the LOCK position from the ign "off" position.

Maybe the linkage that controls the release of the key when your in park is binding. Maybe try taking the car out of park and pushing it into park a little harder than normal and see if that gets it loose?

Notice when you take the shifter from park to reverse, a portion of the steering column moves? As if you had a column shift car?

I wonder if when you put the car into park, the shifter cable is binding and not centering the "steering column part".

Then again....

The car shouldnt try and restart if its not up all the way, which yours does try and restart, so the sterring column part may be fine..

Wonder if the ignition switch itself is bad, or the key is bent?

BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Notice when you take the shifter from park to reverse, a portion of the steering column moves? As if you had a column shift car?

BW

Not on a TTA. :p

Razor said:
Not on a TTA. :p

No chit? Whoops!

Go to the top of the page for me and i posted a Q about another wire pin connector on the TTA...

If you could help, i would appreciate it alot.

MMMMMM RIBS :wink:

BW

Has anyone ever taken apart these steering columns? I've got the wheel off, but there is a lock plate cover above the lock plate that is supposed to come off. HOW? It's plastic and I've been trying to pry it off with a micro screw driver, but I don't want to break it. I also don't want to damage the steering controls electonics that seem to be behind this cover. The service manual doesn't say how it comes off, it just says it should come off.

Is there something I'm missing here?

(one problem I might of had was that the lighting wasn't all that great because my drop light bulb was busted, and I didn't have a replacement. It's was just too late for me to go get a new one, so I'll get one today)

ON GN's at least once you get the wheel off you have to use another puller to get the lock cover off. It is a round piece of metal with slots cut in it that allows the steering wheel to turn and lock into place when the cars off. This is covered with a piece of plastic on the GN's as well. Im guessing its the same kind of deal on your car.

my85grandnation said:
This is covered with a piece of plastic on the GN's as well. Im guessing its the same kind of deal on your car.

How do you get the plastic off? I have the lock cover tool.

When I did my GN I left the plastic on and took it off with the lock plate. It just flexed when I put the lock plate tool on and that eventually popped it off. I believe on the GN at least it just clips on all the way around the sides of it.

this happened on my 88 gta and a new key did the trick..old key was all worn real bad...worth a try :)

alright, I got the key cylinder, kinda.

Where is the connection for all of these wires?

More specifically the two little wires that connect to the key cylinder for the VAT Chip.

Sometimes I feel like an idiot having to ask so many questions. But I just don't want to screw anything up.

Got-er-done.

Steering Columns are a PIA.

And it took forever because I could only work on it for about 2 hours a day. It's been 103-107 degrees for the past week. So I've only been working on it at night while it's only 98 degrees (yet still 110 in the garage probably). I'd usually quit when my entire shirt and shorts were completly soaked.

Tomorrow I'm going to have to clean and treat the drivers seat because of all the sweat. :o

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back