Killed a WRX

No track times yet. As soon as I get a chance though. I should go in the rain and beat the pants off of any car there, hehe.
From my butt-o-meter guestimation...with a decent launch the car should run mid 13s to low 13s. 2nd and 3rd gear pull very nicely.

friends wrx

i have a friend who has a wrx and it has exhaust and cold air package stock boost and a 50 shot of nos and runs 8.20 1/8 mile at 85 80 mph and he kills most rear wheel drive f bodys and my buick on the street .my buick isnt that fast but it is coming along

Well, it's official. I've now made my WRX faster than my GN!!

Oh, wait, it's cuz I broke the transmission in my GN. HA! (actually...NOT funny!) :mad:

Re: friends wrx

Originally posted by miike1
i have a friend who has a wrx and it has exhaust and cold air package stock boost and a 50 shot of nos and runs 8.20 1/8 mile at 85 80 mph and he kills most rear wheel drive f bodys and my buick on the street .my buick isnt that fast but it is coming along

Will the drivetrain hold up at that level?

drive train

it has so far he streetraces it every saturday night.it has only been at the track one time so it hasnt seen much sticky starting lines.

The reliability of the drivetrains is dependant on a couple of things. Luck being one, but moreso, daily abuse and launch method. With AWD, it's not like the tires are going to slip to disperse the force. I'd imagine the clutch/transmission will last quite a while longer if you launch with a 3-4k slip than a 5k dump.

For my car with OE tires, 4500-5000 rpm slipping the clutch is the best way to launch. It's much easier on the driveline and keeps rpms up where they need to be. I launched on a 2002 Camaro SS on the street and took him through 3rd...then he was gone! The OE turbo on these cars runs out of puff too early in the game for my liking, but what can you say for $23k??? I think a large turbo, a 50 shot off the line, and a 3" turbo-back exhaust would make this car FLY!! Once momma gives it up as a DD, it will be my car to mess with. I'm thinking alky wouldn't be a bad idea either...

I own a WRX in addition to my (far from stock) Z28. The WRX does not strike me as an ideal car to hop up a lot, as AWD, while good for holeshoting people on the street, really saps too much power. The engine compartment in the car drives me nuts also since it is incredibly crowded. I cannot even see the plugs in there.

Having said that, it is a *nice* car to drive in the rain, since you don't have to change your driving habits at all, including nice 4000-5000 rpm slipped-clutch launches. But on dry roads, my Z would kill a WRX, moded or not, and will outlaunch it also, though I think the WRX could still holeshot a bunch of vehicles.

You can't buy a boxer engined car and complain about the plugs...of course they are going to be basically inaccessable. However, try working on a Boxter's engine and the WRX seem smuch easier all of the sudden :)

I'm surprised you brought up plugs, since LS1's plugs are a super PITA too. (Unless I'm mistaken and 2000's were LT1's and they happen to be easier)

Originally posted by ez at nova

I'm surprised you brought up plugs, since LS1's plugs are a super PITA too. (Unless I'm mistaken and 2000's were LT1's and they happen to be easier)

Nope, LS1 is in all 98 and newer f-bodies. And yes, LS1 plugs are a PITA, especially that number 8 plug :eek: It is not too bad though if you put the car on a lift or jackstands.