You can type here any text you want

Kirbans style dual fan set up mounting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboWh1

I'm about to install a dual fan set up on my car.... Anybody have a template for the mounting brackets that need to be made? These brackets hold the fan in place. It appears there are a few modifications needed to attach fan securely.

I'm about to install a dual fan set up on my car.... Anybody have a template for the mounting brackets that need to be made? These brackets hold the fan in place. It appears there are a few modifications needed to attach fan securely.
I don't think there are any specific brackets templates. You just make it up as you go along.

I cut those 4 existing molded in mounting tabs off. Very neatly and then sanded the areas where they used to be down smooth. It looks perfectly like they were never there.

Then I fabbed up some straps made of extruded aluminum and contoured them perfectly to angle up against the top of the new fan shroud. I through bolted the straps with some small 1/4 bolts and then used the existing bolts in the stock locations on the support. On the bottom of the set-up I did almost the exact same thing.

I took my new brackets and heated them with a propane torch and spray painted them black to bake the paint on. They have never chipped. Looks good. I can't find a picture now. But if I do I'll post it later.

Thanks for the feedback! Did you notice any difference in cooling going from stock to dual fan setup? I just switched back to a front mount intercooler. Even summers in Ohio, my car ran fairly hot. 195-200 with no ac, running 160 thermostat.

Thanks for the feedback! Did you notice any difference in cooling going from stock to dual fan setup? I just switched back to a front mount intercooler. Even summers in Ohio, my car ran fairly hot. 195-200 with no ac, running 160 thermostat.
I reworked the entire cooling system years ago all at once. Electric pump, dual fans, new DeQuick radiator, drilled flange thermostat, so on, so on.......

So I wouldn't be the best source of data for a comparison study. Now on cool days, I can hardly keep my car up to working temps any more. BTW, this is a good problem to have.

I reworked the entire cooling system years ago all at once. Electric pump, dual fans, new DeQuick radiator, drilled flange thermostat, so on, so on.......

So I wouldn't be the best source of data for a comparison study. Now on cool days, I can hardly keep my car up to working temps any more. BTW, this is a good problem to have.

I agree, keep the heat out! My engine seems to run so much warmer. I mainly noticed this when I started running high 10s. Doesn't seem to hurt anything just like to help it out the best I can.

When I went from stock fan on my f body radiator to dual fans on the same radiator, I went from hitting 200 sitting in traffic and uphill to 170 deg sitting in traffic and uphill. Old cottons front mount, no AC yet, California summer heat upwards of 90 deg plus

If you are talking about the Intrepid Fans I found that besides cutting the molded taps off as the other guys described you can simply flip over the bottom stock bracket and it will lock the bottom of the fan in place. For the top I made 2, 1" x 2" flat pieces of metal and drill a hole at the end of each one. Then you can remove the AC hose holder bolts and simply put under there and reattach. They'll point straight down and hold the top of the fan in place.
Simple and secure.

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is searching around like I was, here's what I ended up with. It's off the car now but it mounts perfect and with the weatherstripping I got from Autozone, there's almost no gap between the fan and radiator. I also incorporated the stock bracket into my makeshift mount.

Attachments

• IMG_20170325_231309.jpg
    IMG_20170325_231309.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20170325_231327.jpg
    IMG_20170325_231327.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 145
Back