Knight Rider

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
I used to watch the show a while back and now that I have cable I've been watching it more. My question is when the car drives into a rolling semi trailer, how does this work, say the car and semi are both going 45mph, michael gets the front tires of kit on the ramp, but when the rear tires hit, wouldn't he "shotgun" into the trailer?? just curious, and what size motor does that car have? just stupide questioons I'm curious to know. thanks guys.

HERE YOU GO!!

The trick driving, jumps and the like are handled by a stunt driver named Bill Shelley. His background includes driving dragsters, Formula One and funny cars for the past nine years.

Shelley has built a special compression ramp that will pop the car in the air 25 feet before coming to a thundering halt. The ramp helps the car soar over various obstacles like police roadblocks. The ramp is usually 14 feet long and 30 feet high, but the dimensions can be changed based on the jump required.

The jump car used in the program weighs a mere 1500 pounds. It is equipped with a roll cage, beefed chasis, heavy duty stock car shock absorbers, rack and pinion steering and special brakes. Shelley is also the driver when K.I.T.T. is in automatic mode and supposedly driving itself. But the studio wouldn't tell us how he
does this trick.

HTH :)

Originally posted by whitehot84
I would think that they took those shots at a very slow speed and then sped the film up. :confused:

I could be wrong, but I don't think he meant how it was filmed, but how it could be justified if it actually happened. My guess? The inside of the truck is extremely padded? K.I.T.T. is so advanced it hits the breaks as soon as the back wheels hit the ramp? As for the engine, dunno, but I remember hearing the car had modified afterburners on it.

STUDIO PRESS RELEASE

KNIGHT INDUSTRIES TWO THOUSAND
------------------------------

VEHICLE TYPE: Front engine, rear wheel drive, two
passenger, two door coupe
DIMENSIONS: Wheel base(101 in.) Length(189.8 in.)
Width(72 in.) Height(37.2 in.)

ENGINE TYPE: Knight Industries turbojet with modified
afterburners

TRANSMISSION: 8 speed microprocessor turbodrive with auto
pilot(needs no driver)

STEERING: TYPE> Modified rack-and-pinion
TURN-CIRCLE> 2ft. with rocket assist
BRAKES: Type- Electromagnetic hyper-vacuum disc

CHASSIS/BODY-- TYPE>Unit construction
BODY MATERIAL>Classified(compound is
virtually indestructible)

PRICE NEW: $11,400,000 est.

ACCELERATION: 0-60mph>.2 seconds with power boosters
Standing 1/4 mile>4.286sec.@300mph
BRAKING: 14ft.(70-0 mph)

But did you get the blueprints back when he was destroyed by Goliath that season? LOL! That was a long time ago, but my 3 y/o loves the reruns in the evenings.

WOW! :eek: 4.286sec.@300mph in the 1/4 mile and it still looks like a normal car (not a funnycar)! Is that a record, BTW, or do some dragsters go faster? And 0-60 in .2 seconds? Awesome. Now, as much as we all loved that Trans Am in Knight Rider, how awesome would that show have been had K.I.T.T. been a Grand National? :)

there was a K I T T car for sale around Chicago a few weeks ago. It was a 350 TPI/700R4, but it had all of the instrument clusters and the nose and stuff of the real one. If I remember it was going for around $11K or $11.5....something like that.

Originally posted by Tom Tom Turbo
there was a K I T T car for sale around Chicago a few weeks ago. It was a 350 TPI/700R4, but it had all of the instrument clusters and the nose and stuff of the real one. If I remember it was going for around $11K or $11.5....something like that.

That ain't too bad, I loved the looks of that car. Back in the day when I was a kid and Knight Rider was on TV, the T/A used to be my favorite car. Then I discovered the Grand National and changed my opinion. :)

Awesome. Now, as much as we all loved that Trans Am in Knight Rider, how awesome would that show have been had K.I.T.T. been a Grand National?

i remember years ago that there was a kit "KITT" car out, a one handed man in roanoke used to keep it at the transpertation musem over winter. them kit cars had some kind of voice activated computer and the car would talk to you, althow the conversation was limited and sort of like talking to the looser of the special olympics but it was cool. i have always pondered how it would work out of i instaled the computer and voice box inside the car with a remote starter with the top of the grill cut out and the little red light bar set in place. you could really screw with unsuspecting people like little kids or the guys from the short bus.

Re: HERE YOU GO!!

Originally posted by Two Lane
Shelley is also the driver when K.I.T.T. is in automatic mode and supposedly driving itself. But the studio wouldn't tell us how he does this trick.
One of the original KITT stunt cars is in a Daytona, FL museum. There is a very small diameter steering wheel and a set of pedals behind the driver seat. The stunt driver crammed himself in the back seat to drive. That would make him a true back seat driver! :p

i remember years ago that there was a kit "KITT" car out, a one handed man in roanoke used to keep it at the transpertation musem over winter. them kit cars had some kind of voice activated computer and the car would talk to you, althow the conversation was limited and sort of like talking to the looser of the special olympics but it was cool. i have always pondered how it would work out of i instaled the computer and voice box inside the car with a remote starter with the top of the grill cut out and the little red light bar set in place. you could really screw with unsuspecting people like little kids or the guys from the short bus.

hey, hey, lets lay off of "the special kids" :D Thanks for the info guys.

My theory....
The truck is going 55 mph.
I'll consider the car as going slightly (5mph) faster than the truck. when it hits the truch all that needs to be done is to stop the inertia of the wheels from 60 MPH, and the momentum of the car 5mph, not too tough to do. The car will still be going 55 mph when it gets inside the truch so their will be much less momentum to stop, since the weight of the vehicle is still being carried at 55 mph by the truck. It doesn't require all that much stopping distance.

My thoughts.

DJ

SHHH...(IT'S CLASSIFIED!)

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Two Lane I do NOT want to know where you got that info:D

LOL...That was the actual Studio Info Release on K.I.T.T. :)

Believe it or not....

There is a Knight Rider Forums/Bulletin Board like this one.
Lot of fanatics and die-hard fans on there. They've got all the insight on that show, how when and where it was filmed and all that stuff.

They are supposedly filming a new "Knight Rider Theater Movie" :eek:

The red 'sensor' lights up front...

About a week ago, here in town, I saw a Ford Fiesta (yes they are still around here). Sure enough, it had the 'red sensor' lights in the front grill going back and forth. I thought to myself... man, that's sad.

Then I was in the parts store yesterday looking for a pin switch (couldn't find one, damn parts stores). Anyways, next to the neon lights and stuff, there was a BRAND NEW KITT light kit. All written in German as I recall, but I just had to laugh. So if any of you guys REALLY want a KITT GN, let me know and I'll be GLAD to send it to ya...

Yedi:
My question is when the car drives into a rolling semi trailer, how does this work, say the car and semi are both going 45mph, michael gets the front tires of kit on the ramp, but when the rear tires hit, wouldn't he "shotgun" into the trailer?? just curious?

Just drive the car up the ramp once the front wheels hit they instantly stop spinning same goes for the back. The stick car rolls up to the ramp back wheels spinning road mph then is given a little extra throttle to get on the ramp clutched and put into 1st and pulls up the ramp... timing is everything. With an auto you just pull up with enough inertia to keep the car moving foward and once the rear wheels hit and stop drive it up the ramp. In fact I think this was done awhile back in the 70's the movie "Gumball Ralley" and more recently on the Show "Fear Factor" 'cept I don't know were the actual "Fear" came in, I'd call that "Fun"..... yep I'm an old stunt car driver "Joey Chitwood" has nothing on me;)

Geoff