Knock gauge vs scanmaster

SS/GN

Which is more accurate for measuring knock a scanmaster or a knock gauge.I hate too many gauges and am trying to decide if other options are better.Thanks for any info.

+1 Scanmaster.... plus, you can just hide it in the console or wherever, and with all the add'l info you get from it, it's like having 20 gages in one! :)

They both have their advantages over one another. If you want to know if your engine is knocking the knock gauge is better. If you want to know exactly how much timing is being pulled due to knock then the scanmaster is better. IMO a quick updating scanmaster with an audible knock detector keeps a fairly thick blanket over your butt.

scanmaster all the way ..tells ya the knock .. not some light (knock gauge) that goes off all the time :rolleyes: scanmaster can give WAY more info to :cool:

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies,I ordered 3 scanmasters today.One for me and a couple of buddies jumped on the wagon also.Special thanks to grumpy,if it is good enough for your 9 sec ride it will work on my12 second ride.Thanks again:biggrin:

The knock gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Need I say more?

Or maybe they are notoriously misunderstood might be more accurate to say. They interpet knock differently than a scanmaster.And are still a valuable tool to have in your arsenal.

Or maybe they are notoriously misunderstood might be more accurate to say. They interpet knock differently than a scanmaster.And are still a valuable tool to have in your arsenal.

I had a few customers years ago that used them.. picked up a lot of false knock .. and the "alarm" on them was a PITA !!! Wife wouldn't even ride in the car with them .. :p oh well to each their own ..

Wife wouldn't even ride in the car with them ...

That can be decidedly advantageous at times though...like about every time somebody has messed with me on the street and the wife was with me... That's why I use the Scanmaster to monitor knock and a radar/laser detector turned all the way up and on the highest sensitivity setting to drive the wife nuts...not to mention some Korn blasting from the CD player.:biggrin:

I can see the audibles being annoying, but the Casper's isn't that bad. Besides showing false knock is still showing that you have a problem...somewhere. And false knock needs to be addressed too.

Besides showing false knock is still showing that you have a problem...somewhere. And false knock needs to be addressed too.

NOT when its NOT showing on the scanmaster. :p been there and done it .. ok done here:cool:

i was just going to ask this question cause i have a knock gauge and was thinking of getting rid of it to clear up cluter.Scanmaster has been what i have been watching alot,and seems had knock on gauge but not on scanmaster,so i guess by bye gauge...thanks for the help...:biggrin:

Hmmm.. then I'm misunderstanding false knock. Banging DP's and transitional knock picked up by the knock gauge may not show up as knock retard, but quite often it does,right? And if it does then KR means power left on the table,right? Or is that not the case?

I've always used the caspers gauge to notify me when and how much knock I was getting. It's been extremely helpful in pinpointing false knock. Many times I've lit that thing up like a Christmas tree only to have the ECM react with maybe 1.9-2.8 KR and sometimes more like 19.9 under hard launch, but I could at least associate it with a shift point or something.
To me the scanmaster was too late as it gets the interpeted data.

But,like you say, to each his own.

The Caspers knock gauge and the Scanmaster measure two different things. THe Caspers knock gauge picks up the signal fron the knock sensor to the ECM. The Scanmaster meausres the ECM's decision on what to do with the knock signal-retard timing. Personal choice. I dropped the Caspers gauge because the fool I was and put it down by the shifter when it belongs on the A pillar. Good luck- Brad

The Caspers knock gauge and the Scanmaster measure two different things. THe Caspers knock gauge picks up the signal fron the knock sensor to the ECM. The Scanmaster meausres the ECM's decision on what to do with the knock signal-retard timing. Personal choice. I dropped the Caspers gauge because the fool I was and put it down by the shifter when it belongs on the A pillar. Good luck- Brad

Does the Scanmaster not measure/display knock 'counts' as well? If not, than that is certainly a drawback of the SM.... although perhaps a conscious decision by it's creator (Bob?) to 'draw the line somewhere' with respect to the amount of data collected/displayed. And it's right to mention the SLOW data rate (unless you have the 'quick-update chip - and I'm not certain just how fast that is) of the SM as a reason to also have a 'knock count detector' of some sort to augment the SM. However, all that is just further justification to use DirectScan (for us poor people :p ) or Powerlogger as the REAL tool to tune/monitor... WAAAYYY more info available... :wink:

Does the Scanmaster not measure/display knock 'counts' as well? If not, than that is certainly a drawback of the SM.... although perhaps a conscious decision by it's creator (Bob?) to 'draw the line somewhere' with respect to the amount of data collected/displayed. And it's right to mention the SLOW data rate (unless you have the 'quick-update chip - and I'm not certain just how fast that is) of the SM as a reason to also have a 'knock count detector' of some sort to augment the SM. However, all that is just further justification to use DirectScan (for us poor people :p ) or Powerlogger as the REAL tool to tune/monitor... WAAAYYY more info available... :wink:

yes the Scanmaster displays knock!!! ya you can get all sorts of "data" from all the stuff out there.. BUT some people have no idea what to DO with the data! :eek: we run a scanmaster on Melissa's 9 sec street DRIVER !! pretty easy to just watch for NO knock :cool: