Knock/ticking

mattcsn

Anyone have any ideas on diagnosing this? Was out driving the other day and just randomly started hearing this ticking noise.

I was thinking lifter tick, but not sure and wanted to see if you all had any options before I removed the valve cover. Its definitely driver side.

Thanks for the help.

Video link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3k6k63HuZXrWpdSYA

Sounds like an exhaust leak
If it was an exhaust leak where should I check, are there areas that are particularly an issue? Would it show something on the scanmaster on one of the inputs that would hint at a leak?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It does sound like a exhaust leak. Take a long hose and put it on your ear and move the other end around the area. You should pick up where it is coming from.

Check for those famous exhaust manifold cracks, double check all vacuum hoses and the scanmaster #’s should point you into a direction if you remember your #’s before it started ticking

125 but I have tt chip which I think effects that?

An exhaust leak like a cracked header would cause higher BLM counts. Pull the valve cover as already stated.

I pulled the cover and all looks good. Nothing broken that I can see and all functional.

Now I'm even more confused as I can't pinpoint an exhaust leak either at least at the manifolds

Hmm I shot air through the tailpipe to see if I could hear a leak. Found the new egr valve gasket leaking.

Hmm I shot air through the tailpipe to see if I could hear a leak. Found the new egr valve gasket leaking.

Was the EGR gasket your ticking noise? Or does the search continue?

If it sounds 1/2 as bad in real life as it does on that video, it should be easy to find with a hose in your ear.

Was the EGR gasket your ticking noise? Or does the search continue?
It was a major leak the gasket on it was horrible. I've used some Rtv as that's not the first gasket to leak.

I'll know tomorrow once it dries.

If it sounds 1/2 as bad in real life as it does on that video, it should be easy to find with a hose in your ear.
You would think right, but really I couldn't pinpoint it. With the ship vac tho it was pretty obvious how big of a leak the egr gasket was.

I'll know tomorrow and give an update. I'll be super happy if that's all it is. This car is a never ending fix lol.

Once you get everything fixed at the same time, it'll be reliable. :)
That's what I'm banking on. I swear every time I take it out it's a 500 dollar ride lol.

Wish I didn't like this car so much.

Fyi just an update it was the egr gasket. I used red RTV and we are back on the road.

Thanks for the replies and exhaust leak ppl were correct! Would of never guest it could make that much noise.

There are a few solutions to blocking that pia off. Do a search.