L/U converter question

speedfreakv6

speedfreakv6
ok .i feel stupid on trans issues so hope you guys can help .have j.w 3200 stall it is a lock up converter .when i purchased car the guy i bought it from had a tc lock up toggle switch under dash .question with a l/u converter would i still need the switch and do it manually ??? if so what dcl terminal does it plug into .i unplugged it years ago and forgot whick terminal it is .do not have direct scan only scanmaster .so cant really tell what converter is doing .car runs mid - low 11s want more and i think trans or converter is holding me out of the 10s .trans was done by art carr .so i lm leaning towards converter .like i said i dont know s**t about trannys or converters .so some help please guys anyone ..thanks

Hey guys anyone out there ???? if anyone has any ideas please post .going to race tomorrow.help would be great.

Your chip may or may not, most don't, command lockup at WOT in 3rd gear.

Hence the need for a manual lockup switch with many race and street chips.

Install the switch as follows:

ALDL ports PIN F is a tan/blk stripe wire goes to one side of the switch, use a good ground connection to the other side of the switch.

Some use the other end of the ALDL connector PIN A is a good ground.

When you close the switch it should lock up the converter.

I'd try it only in 3rd gear the first time at the track unless you know the clutch in the converter is good enough to lock the switch at the staging line.

That greatly increases the load on it.

As Salvage says

It takes a GOOD convertor to
stand up to locking the convertor as soon as it goes into second, which is what it will do if you flip the switch before you launch. (Will not lock in first)
Also remember that a convertor can not multiply torque when locked. The top of third seems to be the ideal place, less bang on the internals. Best of luck

You could wire up a pressure switch into the Governor oil circuit. That will force a lockup at a given speed. You do have to wire it through the brake switch so you won't kill the motor during hard braking.

GM used something like this on the 125C, 200C, 250C, 350C, and a few 700-R4's. The later ones went to 100% ECM control of the torque converter clutch (TCC).

A lock up too early caused chugging/lugging complaints.

And some performance types just use a manual override switch for the TCC.

-Mike H.

hey guys thanks for the info .i have a turbotweak chip witch is supposed to l/u at 85 mph ??? doesnt feel like locking .im going to call him and see .i would like to learn more about the press switch install .if could elaborate on this would be great .thanks again guys