You can type here any text you want

Laptop computer opinion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
Hey, guys, my wife and I are going out tomorrow to buy our first laptop computer. Being the computer dweeb that I am, I'm listing the type of computer here for your professional opinion. I'd like to know if this is a good computer for general stuff to do. (And for all the TurboBuick.Com forum visits)

Since I've seen people operating a computer without it hooked up to anything, like around the house, outside, etc. I'd like to know if this concerns getting a wireless router.

What kind of router should I look for? I have a router now for Verizon Broadband, (black box here on the desk with three, cute little green blinking lights) but would it be any problem hooking up another one?

Here's the computer we want to get:

HP Laptop, with Intel Core i3-370M Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology.
17.3" screen
4GB memory
500GB hard drive
5 hours of battery life
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel HD Graphics

This computer is selling for $579.99 on sale until Sunday.

The routers range from $30 to $80 but I have no idea which one to get.

Would this computer be OK for everyday use like our desktop? Is it fast?

One router is called n basic (whatever that means, I told you, I'm a computer dweeb:rolleyes:) and it's for connecting wireless devices to the internet at n speeds. Another is just a wireless -N Home Router.

Any suggestions? Am I doing Ok with the computer choice? We plan on using it for travel, plus taxes, communications, and all the fun stuff we do now on this desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, for I KNOW most of you guys here on this forum are computer geniuses

Bruce '87 Grand National

They say most laptops last an average of 3 years.

I got 5 years out of an acer & recently rplaced it with a $400- dell. I like the dell as it is much quicker in processing.

I would suggest you buy a cooling pad to keep under it.

You might want to punch in an internet search on the model you are considering, but if it is JUST OUT there might not be any write ups on it.

Alos go to the store & try it. dont buy sight unseen

That laptop would definitely get the job done. It will handle everyday use. It is similar in spec to my work laptop that I am typing this post on.

As far as a router goes, most are the same these days. Just secure it when you set it up. Otherwise you will have people trying to "borrow" your internet.

Wireless broadband can be tricky to setup at times. Make sure u get detailed instructions.

To both of you: I appreciate your help and suggestions. I will do all you mentioned here. We will go to the store and test it out. I did punch in the computer type on Google and got some more information out of it.....it seems that it is more upgraded to the specs I typed, then when they first came out for a higher price.

Man, you guys, thanks so much. Laptops are new to me, but I saw a friend of mine use one at her house and I was so damn impressed. My wonderful wife, Shirley, suggested that I can use the laptop in the garage to pull up pictures of the different kinds of assemblies I have to take apart for reference. I have all kinds of engine pictures on a CD...the old computer in the garage that I use for this research does not do a good job of pulling up research pictures.

Whenever I have to do so serious disassembly work on the Grand National or Shirley's Buick, I usually take digital photos then store them on the desktop. That way, I have visual reference if I run into trouble...ie. what wire goes where, what bracket goes here, routing of pipes, wires, locations of things, etc. Having something portable like a laptop would really be of an advantage for me....I WAS thinking of just getting an upgraded desktop computer for the garage....$50 bucks, same power as this one I have now, but it was Shirley's idea to go portable. That would really be cool.

One more question please.....can I use my laptop anywhere I go and pull up the Internet, or this site? If there's no where to plug in a phone line, how is it done if I'm 90 miles from home? This has always confused me as I heard people talking that they can access the internet from their car, boat, coffee shop, gym, etc. I sure would like to have someone explain how I can do this. It would be nice to take the laptop to my brother's house and pull up the stuff from TurboBuick and show him all the pictures, topics, ideas that are so abundant here. I do need to learn, but listening to the pros here is how I learn....you can't beat experience....those are the ones I like to hear from.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Wireless broadband can be tricky to setup at times. Make sure u get detailed instructions.

I will absolutley do that, Brett. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll make sure it comes with the detailed instructions.

Bruce '87 Grand National

You can access the internet anywhere that has a router to produce a wireless signal. If your brother has a wireless router, than you can use it with his password (if secured). The only problems I see is getting access on a boat or in a car. The cellular phone companies now sell a service that allows you to access the internet anywhere at anytime. But it costs money, its like a phone. Without that, I do not believe it is possible to access the internet in a car/boat. Other places you can get access are starbucks, mcdonalds, places that have "WiFi". Hope I answered all your questions.

You can access the internet anywhere that has a router to produce a wireless signal. If your brother has a wireless router, than you can use it with his password (if secured). The only problems I see is getting access on a boat or in a car. The cellular phone companies now sell a service that allows you to access the internet anywhere at anytime. But it costs money, its like a phone. Without that, I do not believe it is possible to access the internet in a car/boat. Other places you can get access are starbucks, mcdonalds, places that have "WiFi". Hope I answered all your questions.

Yes you did....to the letter. Now I understand how this works....thanks a million, you helped me greatly. Appreciate you taking the time to help ol' Brucie here.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I've got a USB modem for (high-speed) internet service and it works great literally EVERYWHERE I've tried it. different states, on a boat 5-10 miles out, driving down the highway (not with me driving tho :rolleyes:). it IS very similar to having a cell phone (but you can't dial out other than thru the computer). size is about 1.5" wide x 3" long.

its thru sprint (but almost all phone carriers offer this now), just be careful because most plans only offer a limited amount of bandwidth, etc., now (I'm grandfathered in with an unlimited plan :biggrin: - $60/month, since I've had this for 4+ yrs) but if you're not using it 24/7 most of the plans should be ok for you (I think minimum plans are about $40 + taxes). most companies are giving the modems out for free now when you sign up for a plan (I had to buy mine).

Thank you very much. This information is very helpful! I'll discuss this with my wife tomorrow. We already are on a Sprint plan, as we pay for Internet wireless (Broadband) cell phone, landline and satelite broadcasts all in one plan.

You've given me an idea to call Sprint to see what they could offer as far as this USB modem you're talking about. Man, that's a great idea to have internet like you do. That's what I'm looking for.

You stated that you can't dial out other than thru the computer...this could mean I need to have a dial up modem purchased also for the laptop? This particular one has no dial up modem, it's $50 extra. Is this what you're referring to?

I'll let Shirley read this tomorrow when she wakes up. You explain it a lot better than I do.:rolleyes:

Thanks! Much appreciated!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

You stated that you can't dial out other than thru the computer...this could mean I need to have a dial up modem purchased also for the laptop? This particular one has no dial up modem, it's $50 extra. Is this what you're referring to?

I meant that the device itself (the sprint USB modem) uses (sprint supplied) software thru the computer to "dial out" to connect online. It doesn't make a difference whether the computer itself has a modem or not, (it doesn't need it; or use it) since the usb modem does the dialing out by itself (but obviously needs the computer to "connect" so you can go online & actually see stuff).

Here ya go, this is what I have:

Sprint Mobile Broadband USB Modem by Novatel ™ Wireless Ovation U720

looks like its not free anymore... :frown: but let me tell you this, I paid $100 for mine 4 years ago & it was the best thing I bought in a long time! with cell phones + this, I don't even have a landline anymore.

some newer phones have something like wifi capabilities built-in, whereas you can "connect/link-up" your laptop to your cell phone to get "mobile" internet access. You might want to check into that instead since you already have sprint (some kind of extra "data plan" - thats what they call the online access). I remember awhile back (last year I think) they were advertising something like this as an add-on to your regular phone plan, and it was like 20 bucks extra / month, but WITH unlimited monthly bandwidth/minutes! now THAT was a deal! (too bad my cell phone plan isn't with sprint otherwise I would have considered switching to that)...

I can use my laptop with my verizon droid which has INET access.
It is a simple USB hookup.
It beats driving around Cape cod sitting in hotel parking lots for free wifi when visiting the inlaws.:eek:

otherwise at home I use FIBER network from UNFAIRPOINT Telephone.

I hate to say don't overspend because Computers are like cars You walk out the door & 25% value has dropped. There is always newer and better the minute you walk out the store with your new purchase.

GNcollectables, thanks a million for clarifying the USB modem. Now that helped me a lot, plus the link you provided. Very informative and just what I needed.

Little6pack, you've helped me out a lot, too. Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

It goes to show that we have a lot more research to go through before we get a laptop. I'm taking your advice and try not to over purchase one. Which I saw as GREAT advice. So, we are going to do some more checking around, research it, and make a purchase maybe next month.

It's because of all of your help that we've made this decision. And a good one. I can't thank you all enough for your excellent help. You've opened my eyes to a lot of stuff I did not know. I knew I came to the right place to get help. Thanks, good buddies.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I can use my laptop with my verizon droid which has INET access.
It is a simple USB hookup.
It beats driving around Cape cod sitting in hotel parking lots for free wifi when visiting the inlaws.:eek:

otherwise at home I use FIBER network from UNFAIRPOINT Telephone.

I hate to say don't overspend because Computers are like cars You walk out the door & 25% value has dropped. There is always newer and better the minute you walk out the store with your new purchase.

By the way, your remarks about your inlaws really cracked me up!! Good one there!!! Man, that was funny.

Bruce '87 Grand National

By the way, your remarks about your inlaws really cracked me up!! Good one there!!! Man, that was funny.

Bruce '87 Grand National

They are too cheap to have phone service or inet service..
They are penny tightwads and dollar foolish. :rolleyes:

Back