You can type here any text you want

Launching off E brake

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hammer231

Boost Junkie
How hard is it on the car and related brake components to launch off the E brake? I'm talking sub 8 psi boost launches on a mid 11 sec car. Nothing crazy. This is with a vacuum brake setup that really seems to struggle holding more than 2 lbs boost at the line on the foot brake. If it makes any difference, this car doesn't usually see the track more than once or twice a year.

front what i know it will tend to twist the wheel cylinders in the backing plate. so damage to the backing plate. i have had mine twist pretty bad.

I'm launching off e-brake holding 10psi. No damage yet. I've only done it maybe 10 times or so, so far. From what I've heard damage may eventually happen or it may not. I guess i'll take my chances till then, because without the e-brake i can only build around 5psi at the line.

I've not hurt any brake parts yet but i did break a ring & pinion gear. I have to put the mirror back on cause it winds up in the back seat and unrole the floor mats.Try it you'll like it.

Dont forget the glove box flying open.

or forget to release the e-brake -:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Brent do you still have that video of me doing that

Just to clarify, when I'm launching the car off the E brake I'm also using the foot brake to hold the car at the line. For anyone that has done damage to the backing plates, how much boost were you launching with? Just trying to figure if problems start with higher boost launches or if this is not a factor.

Hammer don't hurt them drums:eek: :o

Have you tried blipping it in neutral, hitting the brakes when the vacuum peaks and brake boosting?

To self adjust, hit the brakes 5 times hard while in reverse, that should get the shoes tight.

I can't help you on the E brake as I don't think I've ever used it on the GN. :confused:

lauching at 10psi hurt mine. also the hood pop isnt as good as releasing the foot brake having the car launch then come to a skidding hault becuase you forgot to pull the ebrake release

Dude, that is frickin hilarious. I could just see it now. How about them 2 minute reaction times! I have launched on the e-brake before with vacuum brakes. Made several 13-18 psi launches. Broke several teeth in the rear but i had a 7.5 rear in the car at the time. I don't think doing it a few times will hurt too bad with the 8.5

Now thats funny. I have been reading this stuff for years now and this is truly the first time I have laughed out loud. I can just see that hood poping open....:biggrin:

I have had the keys fall out of the ignition, mirror pop off the front window and the front seat bracket break at launch, but nothing compares to releasing the hood on launch. Thats too good...

Hammer don't hurt them drums:eek: :o

Have you tried blipping it in neutral, hitting the brakes when the vacuum peaks and brake boosting? :confused:

Haven't tried that yet but sounds like a good plan. I'd love to get a decent launch out of this car on the foot brake and not having to resort to using the E brake. A 5 psi launch will usually get my car out of the hole and spooled pretty quick with the little TE44 so I'm not asking for too much I don't think. Thanks for the replies.

hammer231,that's a tough question since this buick stuff isn't getting any younger:) i can tell you i used to leave at 14psi off the e-brake before installing the 411 gears:biggrin: .doesnt sound like you pound out launches every weekend so i would say you should be good,but then again this stuff is getting old;)

I can hold 12 lbs plus with vac brakes...no e-brake.

Try this..

1.After the burnout pull into the first light slowly. Get as far into the pre-stage as you can without tripping the 2nd bulb then comepletely stop the car.

2.Put it in neutral...Put your foot sideways om the brake pedal so you are putting pressure with your knee and not just your ankle muscles, try to have your foot flat on the pedal. And try to push it thru the floorboard as you rev the engine. You can actually feel the pedal going in as you rev the engine. Rev it up and let it settle down...repeat...repeat....repeat. 4-5 times.

3. DONT take the pressure off of the brake!

4. Put it in gear.

5. Start boosting. When the car starts to move...light the 2nd bulb as it creeps...This is the tricky part... When the car moves ,let off of the gas slowly. The deal is this..the "trick" is...

Getting good at "controlling" the roll from pre-stage to stage, without letting off of the throttle TOO much and loosing boost....OR...Not letting off of the throttle enough and deep staging or red lighting.

I use the throttle to control my roll into the stage lights instead of bumping the brakes. After building all that brake pressure to get the boost way up there, if you bump the brakes you will lose all that holding force.

Or ya could install a t-brake:biggrin: :cool: ;) ;)

Those sound like some good tips 8AV8. I'm going to have to try some of this stuff in the driveway. Can't wait to see my wife's expression. :biggrin: Mr. Spool you're right about these cars not getting any younger. The rear brakes are nearly 22 years old and have 200,000 miles on them. I did the longer soft shoes some time ago.

Back