Launching with Transbrake...am I doing it wrong?

MSDGN

I've been having problems with my 60fts for years now...last time I ran I was talking about it to a total stranger and he mentioned maybe having someone else drive the car...so he was basically saying it could be the driver's problem...which is ME...hit me kind of hard but then I thought about it later and maybe I am doing something wrong...I use a Stageright transbrake so here's how I launch:

1) After burnout put into 2nd gear...I do this because I have ratchet shifter and if I leave it in Drive I've made the mistake of only clicking the shifter once thinking I'm in 1st when I'm actually in 2nd...very embarassing when I build boost and the car pushes through the lights...

2) Pull up to the lights and prestage

3) I have one foot on brake so I start to build a little boost and bring up the RPMs

4) Creep forward slowly and light second bulb

5) As soon as I see the first green light I mash the pedal to the floor

6) When I see the desired amount of boost...usually 8-10 PSI I slam the shifter forward and go

...I then shift to 3rd manually...so to those that have transbrakes does it sound like I'm doing anythign wrong...anything I could change to get better 60fts?...now I know my reaction times suck and at this point I really don't care so please no advice on how to better that...

It doesnt sound like your using a trans brake at all?

-after your burnout put the car in 1st,
-double bulb
-hold the trans brake button
-let go of brake
-mash the gash
-let go of trans brake button
-keep it between the walls

He has the stage right T-brake it activates when you put the shifter in low.

If the tranny is right you can push it straight to D and let it do the work.

Do a burnout...
fully stage...Stay Relaxed
put it in 1st...
Build Boost with foot off the brake...
When your at desired psi push the shifter up and hold on...

Stay Relaxed and take your time dont worry about looking stupid. Most people watching wish they had a Turbo Buick!

What is your normal 60' time. It may be in in how your car is set up. What do you run for suspension mods?

He has the stage right T-brake it activates when you put the shifter in low.

If the tranny is right you can push it straight to D and let it do the work.

At no point does he say he puts it in low/1st gear. I assume it's a typo, but that's at least part of what NOT FAST is talking about.

Ok back to the topic at hand...1 thing I saw about your post that is unclear to me is when do you release the brake pedal?? In other words do you hold the brake pedal and the transbrake at the same time and release at the same time??

Some cars do better this way and some car do better with the suspension "relaxed", in other words the only thing holding the car is the transbrake and your foot is off the foot brake.

Another thing I noticed was you never said what the car was doing to not 60' good, is it spinning, or is it hooked up good just "slow".

Have you checked to make sure the trans brake even works? Does your car move when it is in low gear. With no brakes applied?

I've been having problems with my 60fts for years now...last time I ran I was talking about it to a total stranger and he mentioned maybe having someone else drive the car...so he was basically saying it could be the driver's problem...which is ME...hit me kind of hard but then I thought about it later and maybe I am doing something wrong...I use a Stageright transbrake so here's how I launch:

1) After burnout put into 2nd gear...I do this because I have ratchet shifter and if I leave it in Drive I've made the mistake of only clicking the shifter once thinking I'm in 1st when I'm actually in 2nd...very embarassing when I build boost and the car pushes through the lights...

2) Pull up to the lights and prestage

3) I have one foot on brake so I start to build a little boost and bring up the RPMs

4) Creep forward slowly and light second bulb

5) As soon as I see the first green light I mash the pedal to the floor

6) When I see the desired amount of boost...usually 8-10 PSI I slam the shifter forward and go

...I then shift to 3rd manually...so to those that have transbrakes does it sound like I'm doing anythign wrong...anything I could change to get better 60fts?...now I know my reaction times suck and at this point I really don't care so please no advice on how to better that...

Sorry #4 should read:

4) Creep forward slowly and light second bulb...put shifter into low to engage transbrake...

...I shift manually into 3rd around 6000-6200...car runs faster that way...have a B&M Megashifter...I've tried leaving it in D and letting the trans shift to 3rd...shifts too early and I lose power...now that you know the transbrake is working and I do use it can you see anything I'm doing wrong...I don't think I am as I've launched this car probably 200+ times...60fts are usually high 1.5's...car is capable of 1.4's...I'm still working on the suspension...trying different things...just wondering if it's driver error contributing to the crappy 60fts...

Sorry #4 should read:

4) Creep forward slowly and light second bulb...put shifter into low to engage transbrake...

...I shift manually into 3rd around 6000-6200...car runs faster that way...have a B&M Megashifter...I've tried leaving it in D and letting the trans shift to 3rd...shifts too early and I lose power...now that you know the transbrake is working and I do use it can you see anything I'm doing wrong...I don't think I am as I've launched this car probably 200+ times...60fts are usually high 1.5's...car is capable of 1.4's...I'm still working on the suspension...trying different things...just wondering if it's driver error contributing to the crappy 60fts...

If that's the case I would modify the governor so that both shift points are about 6000...Should pick you up in the 1/8 mile.

I have an electric brake so I can shift whenever I want on both shift points.

I asked you a couple of questions in my earlier post.