You can type here any text you want

Leaking Powermaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I installed a new electronic FP gauge today. While pulling wire through the firewall I noticed that my master cylinder is leaking brake fluid into the car. I assume that this means it's all over for my Powermaster brake system?

I have access to 2 NA Regals that are going to be junked. I can take the vacuum systems off of them. What parts do I take off (obviously the vacuum booster and master cylinder, but proportion valve? other things?)? What else would I need to convert it?

Thanks,
Jim

Pretty sure you will also need the brake pedal assembly... I'm tossing my PM for the Vacuum as well after it left me down and stranded waiting close to 5 hours for a tow truck :mad:

Yup....you need the pedal assembly. No need for the prop valve. MC, booster and pedal. Go to the parts store and get a new check valve, a new inline vac brake filter to catch any oil in the line, 3/8" (IIRC) vac hose, and get a fancy new pedal cover to top it all off and look pretty.
You need to pick a spot to get your vac from too. I went the billet vac block route. I've also heard of people T-ing into the PCV line.

If there's only a little wetness up under the dash, you probably have about 8-10 years before it becomes a problem. ;)

No rush to collect those parts. :)

Thanks for the replies.

My BRAKE light has been coming on for the past year or so. Still stops okay, but the light is worrisome. Plus, both donor cars are going to be around for a relatively short period of time. If I need stuff I gotta take it now.

I didn't realize I needed a pedal assembly. I'll snag that. The local Parts Plus store has a rebuilt Powermaster unit for $350. I might go that route. NAPA's price is $580 w/ the core ($665 w/out).

Jim

turbojimmy said:
The local Parts Plus store has a rebuilt Powermaster unit for $350. Jim
Grab it, if for nothing else than to sell it next year when they are getting $1000 for em. I know the Parts Plus you are referring to...if you don't take it I'm driving north on Thursday. ;)

RAMAIR1 said:
Grab it, if for nothing else than to sell it next year when they are getting $1000 for em. I know the Parts Plus you are referring to...if you don't take it I'm driving north on Thursday. ;)

I'm going to call them today!

Jim

Back