Let's talk upgrading alternators....

turbonut85

Rarely used member
so, now after adding multiple gauges, LED lights, dual fans, double pump, etc....I'm going through alternators like most people change underwear. I know the stock hot air alt was 94 amp. Obviously, that isn't cutting the mustard. I'm aware of the NA bracket that accepts a larger cased alternator, as I have one here....but I'm wondering what you guys have chosen for alternators? I'm thinking in the 140amp range. Post up what you have used, OEM application, plug type, etc.... Seems to be a lot of different things that have been posted in the past with regard to alternator choice. Be nice to have a thread that's updated with current part numbers and applications. Thanks in advance. ---Keith

Will keep that in mind for my 87....looking for hot air specific applications. (84-85) thanks for the reply though!!

So, I just ordered the powermaster 47294 from summit. $160 shipped. Advertised as 140-150amp at peak and 80amp at idle. Supposedly a direct replacement for stock. We'll see how it goes.

i swapped a CS120 into my 84 when i thought my stock alternator died, but it turns out it was just a bad connection where the harness plugs into the cluster... it was a worthwhile upgrade, so i left it... i think mine is the 120 amp version, and it has the offset mounting ears. i made it fit by making a simple bracket out of 1/4" steel to fit it into the stock bracket. i don't have a lot of high amp stuff, but it runs a solid 13.6 volts with the engine idling and everything in the car cranked to max..

i'm not 100% sure of the exact application, but i found this particular alternator brand new in a box in the trunk of an 89 Grand Prix with the 2.8 v6 that i bought for a couple hundred dollars and sold a few days later for $500, so it was free to me... the wiring was ultra simple: loop the big red wire in the plug to the stud on the back and splice the stock tan wire into one of the remaining wires. i forget which one, but a quick google search will tell you how to wire a CS series alternator in place of the SI series, or just buy an adapter harness from AC Delco to plug it right in with no modifications at all..

I'm thinking of trying the powermaster soon. My cars idle is much lower and ruff when my fan turns on.

yea, I am running two fans and the normal accessories.

Ill tell you 120amp is enough and I run a big ass stereo in my 81 cutlass with 120. SO 140 is plenty for us.

Direct replacement for stock, or is the NA bracket required? Any plug or wiring mods necessary?

Forgot to mention the pm pulley heated up my belt for some reason so put the stock pulley on it