You can type here any text you want

Lifter preload issues

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mazdatech78

I need some advice on what to do about my lifter preload. Ive got readings all over the place due to valve height differences. Here are the measurements, these are all at zero lash measured with 12" calipers and a comp cams measuring pushrod.

#1 I-8.165 E-8.174
#2 I-8.195 E-8.162
#3 I-8.177 E-8.171
#4 I-8.178 E-8.180
#5 I-8.174 E-8.176
#6 I-8.180 E-8.176

My setup is a comp roller 210-215 w/853 lifters, hardened shafts w/ the stock rockers.

If read that .030-.060in preload is acceptable but id rather get some other opinions. Also how much play should the rockers have on the shafts? Any input would be greatly appreiciated, this is the only thing holding me up from getting this car back on the road after a year of collecting dust. TIA

James

I need some advice on what to do about my lifter preload. Ive got readings all over the place due to valve height differences. ................ My setup is a comp roller 210-215 w/853 lifters, hardened shafts w/ the stock rockers. ............ If read that .030-.060in preload is acceptable but id rather get some other opinions. Also how much play should the rockers have on the shafts? ......

Struggled with the same issue and ended up with adjustable rods and set them where I wanted - 0.035 - 0.040. Don't worry about side clearnace on the rockers, the stock set-up has lots of slop and many have gone pretty fast with them. Since the geometry is not adjustable, I figure I may as well get the preload right. 6K miles, with EOS, proper break-in and Comp 980's, no issues.

Which adjustable pushrods did you go with? I was tossing around the idea of adjustables but have heard some horror stories about them coming loose.

James

Looks like you would be OK except for that #2. Are you sure that is right? I hate adjustable pushrods.

Back