Lifter problem

RossGN

Just picked up a 86 GN that shows to have had an engine rebuild around 6k ago. The engine is smooth and quiet at idle. After driving a minute or two, what sound like a like a lifter starts ticking pretty good and continues as long as the care is above 2 or 3k rpm. After stopping and idling, the ticking slowly goes away. I am assuming a bad lifter, but not sure. Have bought a new set of lifters and plan to replace in a week or two. If it is just one lifter, I would rather replace just the one instead of the whole set to avoid risking a flat cam during break-in. Any ideas/suggestion would be appreciated.

I wouldn't replace a lifter. If you suspect a lifter problem the lifter(s) can be removed one at a time, disassembled and cleaned and re-installed. Don't mix any lifters or put a new lifter on your worn cam or you will have much bigger problems

Oil PSI is good...around 20 hot idle....around 40 cruise.

Guess I'll see what I have when I get in there. Concerned I may not be able to determine which lifter is bad when I get in there?

oops.... I just noticed 'recent rebuild'... Might not be a bad idea to pull the lifters out one at a time and spin them on a plate of glass.

does your magnetic oil drain plug have an afro?

What would cause a lifter to operate quietly at idle and for the first minute of cruise------then start to rattle....continuing to rattle when reduced to idle, but then gets quiet after about a minute? Blockage maybe?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Could be lots of stuff. Have you experimented with different weights of oils? Any idea what your oil pressure is at idle and cruise? And do you know what spring is in your oil pump?