You can type here any text you want

Lifter sticking any suggestions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LSTTYPE

My car has sat for more or less 2 years. Now everytime I start and drive the car you can hear an annoying lifter ticking on the drivers side. I just changed the oil and cut the oil filter open to look for any metal debree and found none. I used a stethoscope and it is coming from a lifter and not an exhaust leak. Anyways, is there anyway to free up a lifter other than pulling the intake??? Any suggestions? Yes it is a comp lifter. Thanks in advance

Yes the oil pressure is good 70-75 cold 30-35 warmed up. Thanks for the tip, Ill try the Marvel Mystery

If the lifter is still stuck after using marvel Mystery oil, try a can of Siloo Hydra Valve Kleen. I used to buy it at NAPA. Drain the oil after the lifter pumps up. If you have to take the engine apart with that stuff in the oil, wear rubber gloves. It is a strong solvent and will cause your hands to swell up. I have unstuck a bunch of lifters with it, and also had my hands swell up when I had to replace a lifter it did not fix.

Thanks for the tips guys very much appreciated, gonna wait till it cools off a little before I mess with it. 100 plus degrees every day hear in Kansas.

If the engine is real sludgy i wouldnt use seamfoam it will clean it up and crud up the oil pan and pickup and the pan/pickup should be dropped and cleaned. MMO isnt so invasive.
If the engine has clean internals ( like the valley and under valve covers look good) then use it. Also with seafoam change the oil very soon after use

I've heard that dumping a quart of ATF in the engine works on sticky lifters...never tried it though.

I was told to use CD2 detergent and it did quite the lifters down.

D

Uh this is embarsing but I had a friend listen to the car this evening and he swears its just an exhaust leak. I dont know, I used a stehoscope and thought I could hear a ticking coming from the head but I guess I could be wrong. Can a header leak sound like a exactly like a lifter? The car currently has 1 quart of marvel mystery oil in now and it hasnt gotten better yet. Feels so good to be driving the car again regardless.

Use a couple of feet of 5/8" heater hose to use as a stethescope around the flanges. The sound will come right up the hose and you can zero right in on the leak.

That's great advice. On the same coin use a long screw driver on the valve covers as a stethoscope.

RL

Yah its a really long stethoscope with at least 2 feet of vacume hose. The problem I have is the lifters are and have always been clicky and noisy so its hard to zero in on the noise. Im gonna pull the header soon and hopefully figure this out before I go crazy LOL. Thanks for the advice guys

Finally got aroung to fixing the t-type. Sure enough I blew out the felpro gasket. I was absolutly convinced that it was a lifter from sitting 2 years. Nice and quit now, thanks for all the input guys.

Feels like me.

I've been patiently chasing a ticking noise on the passengers side of my WE4.

After wrestling that darned passenger side valve cover out...
I feel like Sargeant Shultz - "I see nothing"
But I definitely hear something.

I'm still trying to find out a couple of ways to check for an exhaust leak at the gasket area.
Any suggestions?

Feels like me.

I've been patiently chasing a ticking noise on the passengers side of my WE4.

After wrestling that darned passenger side valve cover out...
I feel like Sargeant Shultz - "I see nothing"
But I definitely hear something.

I'm still trying to find out a couple of ways to check for an exhaust leak at the gasket area.
Any suggestions?
Smoke test it.

Back