You can type here any text you want

lifters552

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Crazyx4

I need lifters for my comp cam 224 hydraulic roller. I had comp 553 lifters and they have gone bad. At less than 15 passes and 1500 miles, the comp 553 lifters became noisy and collapsed. I have a 4.1 stage 2, 274 cubic inch engine.

I need lifters for my comp cam 224 hydraulic roller. I had comp 553 lifters and they have gone bad. At less than 15 passes and 1500 miles, the comp 553 lifters became noisy and collapsed. I have a 4.1 stage 2, 274 cubic inch engine.
does anyone have any suggestions?

I run Comp 885's on my N/A 4.1 nitrous engine with 224/230 duration. They are noisy, but rev over 6500. They adjust to "0" lash to 1/8 turn. I have tried every backlash from "0" to 1/2 turn. Still noisy. Full Throttle sells Morel rollers. They are supposed to be quiet, but I think any performance lifter will be noisy with a roller cam with a lot of duration and aggressive ramps, and a 224 roller meets the criteria.

If those are comp xtreme energy or xfi lobes then you can't run any hyd lifter but a comp 885 if you are running anywhere near the required spring pressures you would need to take advantage of the cams potential. No preload. I'd rec a spring with at least 180 on the seat and about 500 open. Use 3/8 pushrods. Without these things you will likely have a bad experience and I'm surprised nothing else has broke. Make sure lifters have a shielded roller unless your lifter bores are bushed. I've seen sets that don't. Pro magnum 885 lifters. The noise with that cam and 885 lifters is very consistent. Theres no quiet cam/lifters that have a fast ramp and actualy work for that application. If you are unsure of spring pressures/clearances now is the time to fix it. The 1.65 ratio will aggravate any situation where the spring pressures may be questionable.

i have the k-motion valve springs. the gn1 heads were set up to work with the cam. comp cam acted as if the only lifter they had was the 553 that would fit this engine. the 885's may be a better fit for my engine.

Crazyx4 said:
i have the k-motion valve springs. the gn1 heads were set up to work with the cam. comp cam acted as if the only lifter they had was the 553 that would fit this engine. the 885's may be a better fit for my engine.

What k motion spring? What installed height/pressure. Who set them up? What pushrods are you using? Have the pushrod holes been opened up? May be a better fit? Its that or switch cams and run solid lifters. If you want to make power take my advice.

jack cotton is who set the cam and head combo up for my 3.8.the springs are the pink stripe k-motion. the push rods are stock lenght but bigger came from tom at champion. champion has done all the work on the heads.

Crazyx4 said:
jack cotton is who set the cam and head combo up for my 3.8.the springs are the pink stripe k-motion. the push rods are stock lenght but bigger came from tom at champion. champion has done all the work on the heads.

I'd call jack and get that info. You can remove one and have it checked also. You will need to obtain an installed height checker to measure the installed height. Them have whoever tests it check the pressure at the height you measured. This will let you know if you're in the ball park. With a cam like that there isn't any room to play. You need a lot more pressure than most would think. The ramps of the cam demand it.

After having tried many ways to adjust my Comp 885's, I tried it this way. I got the engine good and hot ( GN1 heads) and then used a .002 feeler guage to adjust them. When the feeler guage was good and snug, I turned the Scorpion adjusting nut slightly tighter. The lifters all sound the same now, just a slight noise. Just wiggling the rocker or pushrod up and down was still leaving enough play to get the .002 feeler in there. I also think adjusting the valves hot makes a difference. Normally, they would get tighter on iron heads. I think they may loosen up when hot with aluminum heads.

Back