link between the SR-71 "Blackbird" and Buicks

at7we2

just came accross this tonight and thought it was so cool, I had to share...

Did you guys know there is a link between the SR-71 "Blackbird" and Buicks??? I'm reading a book right now titled "SR-71 Revealed - The Inside Story" written by Col. Richard H. Grahm. Colonel Grahm was an SR-71 pilot, squadron commander and wing commander. For anyone who doesn't remember, the SR-71 "Blackbird" was *the* fastest and highest flying spyplane ever built. Actually, I believe the speed and altitude records set by SR-71's still stand today making the SR-71 the fastest airplane of any kind ever built. The "Blackbird's" official top speed was in excess of Mach 3 and, amazingly, the SR-71 went into serivce in the mid-60's and continued service into the '80's. The book is page after page of facinating information for anyone interested in the SR-71 or military aircraft in general.

So, on to the the good stuff...
The book goes into very specific details about every aspect of the SR-71 and the pilots that flew them. In chapter 6, Col. Grahm gives some specifc information about the engines used to power the SR-71. The SR-71 utilized two Pratt and Whitney J-58 turbojet engines. These engines and the fuel they burned were developed exclusively for the SR-71. According to the author, at full afterburner, maximum thrust, just *one* J-58 engine produced 32,000 pounds of thrust and consumed 65,000 pounds of fuel per hour - that's 1,083 pounds of fuel per minute!!! These engines are 20 feet long, 4-1/2 feet in diameter and weigh 6,500 pounds each! Anybody want to guess what the SR-71 ground crews used to start these monsterous engines?? If you guessed they used Buick engines, you'd be right! According to the author, in the early days of the SR-71, ground crews used what they called "the Buick" to start the SR-71's engines. What they had was actually not one, but two big-block Buick V8 engines (the author did not specify what displacement) on a roll-around cart. The engines were connected to a gear box which drove a vertical shaft. The vertical shaft connected directly to the bottom of the J-58 engines. The author goes on to comment on what a spectular sight it was to see and hear "the Buick" startup then run the J-58 engines up to their 4,000 rpm idle speed while parked in the hanger at night. Apparently, the engines had dragster style straight pipes and no mufflers. Eventually, "the Buick" was replaced by a pneumatic starting system.

Pretty cool hugh?

As another interesting sidenote, the author of the book, Colonel Richard Grahm, actually lives just to the North of me in Plano, Tx. I had the priveledge of meeting him and getting him to sign my copy of his book while at a small air show over in Addison earlier this year.

like I said, I just had to share this cool bit of info.

After I sold my "yeller car" to Jack Pendzimus, in Minneapolis, he had it on the cover of GM Hi Tec, using the SR-71 as the backdrop. Subsequently, Jack sold the car to Allen Liverman, in Lahoskie, NC. AFIK, Allen still runs the car.
For anyone with that mag,[March, 99], there's some good pics of the car and the bird....
Steve Yaklin's T-type, on alky is in there, too.

e-ticket (John) posted this link in an email thread on our local Buick club email list in response to my post there...

AG330 SR-71 Start Cart

It looks different than what was described in the book. I'm guessing this picture shows a later, more "refined" setup. The book talks about the individual exhaust pipes and how you could see fire coming out of the pipes at night.

AG330 SR-71 Start Cart

i have a tee shirt with both of them on it (SR71 & GN) that says: "AMERICAN LEGENDS" "FASTEST IN THEIR CLASS" , quite a coincedence :cool:

They had one of those starter carts and SR-71 at the Warner Robins Aviation Museum. Pretty sure they still have both there. I remember seeing those Buick nailhead motors on the cart.

second connection between the SR-71 and the Buicks...

I was just reading through the text on the webpage about the Buick start carts (link in one of the messages above) and I found another connection (although it's only a distant connection) between Buicks and the SR-71....

Like I mentioned in my first post, the Buick powered start carts were eventually replaced by a pneumatic starting system, well, the pneumatic starting system was engineered by GARRET AIR RESEARCH!!!

COOL! :biggrin:

I've heard it

My parents gave me a cd when I was in college of airplanes taking off from an air force base. It had commentary on the SR71 including a full on start up it. They called em Buicks. They revved the the effin moon it sounded wicked, one then the other. I'll have to find the name of the cd...

originally they had if i remember 426 buicks, in the mid to late 80's they chaged to chevy 454's.

Wow, this has to be the strangest coincidence ever. My Grand National is now making so much power that I have to use an SR-71 engine to start it up! :eek:

Just hope your GN doesn't start leaking oil like
the SR-71 leaks Hydraulic Fluid........:eek:
Except in flight.

the flying g/n

Hey that start cart looks like alot of the rat rods, resto rods that run around here in so cal, actually it looks better than most :) I always thought the sr 71 black bird was powered by twin stage 2 motors :D

Wow, this has to be the strangest coincidence ever. My Grand National is now making so much power that I have to use an SR-71 engine to start it up! :eek:

OOooooo...COOOL.....send me a picture of *that* setup! :biggrin: :p :p

originally they had if i remember 426 buicks, in the mid to late 80's they chaged to chevy 454's.

the book does mention that. apparently they switched to the Chevrolet engines because parts for the Buick engines were getting hard to find, and that was back in the 70's!