You can type here any text you want

List of first mods...cam kit?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fbodlovr

1/4 Mile Freak
I have been deciding on what to do to my engine first. I have had an intank walbro pump, hotwire kit, scanmaster, afpr, fuel, and vacuum/boost gages. I was wonderig, would a cam kit be a good first upgrade to see some good gains? Gbodyparts has a 212/212 cam kit for 300. Or would the 204/212 be better. What are your thoughts.

Oh yeah, and what are those cam buttons for. When I took my old 84 engine apart, the button was obviously in there. But when I go to performance websites, they talk about a roller cam button. There wasnt a roller cam in my old engine was there?

I have been deciding on what to do to my engine first. I have had an intank walbro pump, hotwire kit, scanmaster, afpr, fuel, and vacuum/boost gages. I was wonderig, would a cam kit be a good first upgrade to see some good gains? Gbodyparts has a 212/212 cam kit for 300. Or would the 204/212 be better. What are your thoughts.

Oh yeah, and what are those cam buttons for. When I took my old 84 engine apart, the button was obviously in there. But when I go to performance websites, they talk about a roller cam button. There wasnt a roller cam in my old engine was there?

The cam button keeps the cam from walking in the block. The factory one is a solid button that rides on the timing cover. The upgrade is the button is now a roller bearing. As far as the car, has anything been done to it yet? If not there is quite a bit to do before you really upgrade your cam. A TT chip for sure to keep it in tune. Alky is another good idea. What year is the car BTW?

OK I'm blind. It's intercooled. The intercooled set up loves ported heads and if you do it yourself it's cheaper and a learning chance.

OK I'm blind. It's intercooled. The intercooled set up loves ported heads and if you do it yourself it's cheaper and a learning chance.

Well, I have the 84 engine that Im parting out, you know that already. But, the heads are still on the block and I was contemplating keeping those and porting them out. Are the 84-87 heads ALL the same? And when I port them out, is it just the intake and exhaust ports? Is it that beneficial to do JUST that and not mess with the valves? I mean send them out and have them worked on?

I have been deciding on what to do to my engine first. I have had an intank walbro pump, hotwire kit, scanmaster, afpr, fuel, and vacuum/boost gages. I was wonderig, would a cam kit be a good first upgrade to see some good gains? ...................

NO!:mad:

Until you are ready [and built] to run high 10's, the stock cam will work fine.

Actually, it may run worse if you change only the cam?

NO!:mad:

Until you are ready [and built] to run high 10's, the stock cam will work fine.

Actually, it may run worse if you change only the cam?

Good lord man. What is your problem?

I have seen people with what seems to be the basic bolt on's, WITH a cam. Why is that? I doubt they're in the 10's.

What kind of gain would I see if I put on ported heads with alky, tt chip? Would I be in the 12's?

Good lord man. What is your problem?

I have seen people with what seems to be the basic bolt on's, WITH a cam. Why is that? I doubt they're in the 10's.

Sorry, I will make sure you are on my "do not post an answer" list since you already informed with what you have seen, and I would only confuse your thinking!:biggrin:

Sorry, I will make sure you are on my "do not post an answer" list since you already informed with what you have seen, and I would only confuse your thinking!:biggrin:

Why would you answer questions like you have? You're a moderator?!:eek: I never thought I would see a moderator answer other peoples honest questions like you have.

First figure out what your goal is. A 212/212 cam is way too much for a basically stock setup. Like Nick said it will probably run worse. Do a little research. It's all about combo. :cool:

The point Nick is trying to make is that they may have a roller cam but they are not in the 10's.....because the stock cam will take you quite far.
He is trying to actually save you money, be grateful...:smile:
Ported heads on the other hand will be god for some gains, assuming you have already upgraded the turbo and injectors.
I have learned one very hard lesson over the years owning a Buick, it all comes down to "always listen to someone faster than you" .

Thanks guys for the replys. Im glad I did ask, and now I know not to worry about it just yet. Either way, even if he was correct which im sure he was, I think he came off the wrong way. But thanks for the replies anyways.

The point Nick is trying to make is that they may have a roller cam but they are not in the 10's.....because the stock cam will take you quite far.
He is trying to actually save you money, be grateful...:smile:
Ported heads on the other hand will be god for some gains, assuming you have already upgraded the turbo and injectors.
I have learned one very hard lesson over the years owning a Buick, it all comes down to "always listen to someone faster than you" .

Why would you answer questions like you have? You're a moderator?!:eek: I never thought I would see a moderator answer other peoples honest questions like you have.

Sounded like he just answered the question u posted. Just because others upgraded their cam doesn't mean you should. Which is why you asked if it was a good idea. Well, a well known engine builder told you it was not necessary. I doubt he was just guessing.

You asked an honest question, and he gave you an honest answer. It was obviously not the answer you were looking for. If anything, he probably saved you money. Relax a little. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board and their advice is free. Be like a sponge and absorb everything experienced guys tells you. That's what I try to do.

I see that he answered the question. I am seeing NO!:mad: as the first response. How am I suppose to take that? It makes it look like i had a dumb question!

Sounded like he just answered the question u posted. Just because others upgraded their cam doesn't mean you should. Which is why you asked if it was a good idea. Well, a well known engine builder told you it was not necessary. I doubt he was just guessing.

You asked an honest question, and he gave you an honest answer. It was obviously not the answer you were looking for. If anything, he probably saved you money. Relax a little. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board and their advice is free. Be like a sponge and absorb everything experienced guys tells you. That's what I try to do.

look at the "red angry face" as a second exclamation mark...lol. simply put, being an experienced buick guy (which he is), he probably just gets frustrated with the many inexperienced TR owners giving advice which is not good information.

and NO question is a dumb question, if your the one asking is ignorant to the answer.

good luck with your buick :biggrin:

Remember this isn't a small block Chevy where heads and cam are the main power mods. A good scan tool, chip and alky or race gas will make a lot of power, is not too expensive and easy to install. Then a turbo and intercooler. I wouldn't change the cam or heads until you were rebuilding the motor.

(If I ever win the lottery I'll have Nick build my engine.)

I would hold off on the cam kit for a while. For a little more I would go with an alky kit. That will give you the best bang for the buck and will compliment any further mods you do.

Once you do get to the point of doing a cam I would suggest getting a roller cam and save yourself the possible headache of wiping a cam.

I was wonderig, would a cam kit be a good first upgrade to see some good gains? Gbodyparts has a 212/212 cam kit for 300. Or would the 204/212 be better. What are your thoughts.

you ask for what type of cam kit and im telling you to talk to Dan @ DLS about what cam kit will fit your needs.
As far as 5k's that would be a gift if one of our buick vendors was to do it for that price.

Back