List your Top 5 First Mods

highboostgn

Just wanted to see what the top 5 mods most people do first with there turbo buicks..wether it be saftey, go fast, or whatever...

1.Hotwire Kit
2.Chip/Adjustable Wastegate
3.Injectors
4.Walboro 340
5.275/55/15 Tires

1. Turbo Tweek Chip.
2. Fuel pump
3. Hot wire kit
4. Wires/plugs
5. Power Logger/Scan master.

Don't worry about tires unless they are old then saftey. top five doesn't even cover replacing all vacum lines, Boost controler,
spring cleaning, Cool air intake, new Battery wires, then let alone any component or sensor that might need to be replaced so you can get the car back to reliable operating condition. lots of stuff to do before you can start thinking about going fast.

First 5 mods that I did?

1. Remove the "cap" that the previous owner put on the boost solenoid. :rolleyes:
2. Boost Gauge.
2. Chip/FPR.
3. Adjustable wastegate mod.
4. Fuel pump.

The first 5 mods that I'd recommend?
1. test pipe
2. test pipe
3. test pipe
4. test pipe
5. test pipe

Except for serious octane and cranking hard on the boost, no other single mod at any price netted the butt dyno result that the test pipe gave me for only $35.00.

Just found some old catalogs in the basement and According to the 1996 1/2 ATR catalog the first 5 mods you should do are:

2 1/2 in cat back exhaust
Throttle body bypass plugs
160 degree thermostat
Hot air deflector
K&N air filter.

I bought so much crap from them I have no idea how they went out of business.

1) TT chip
2) Fuel Pump and hotwire
3) Adjustable Fuel press reg.
4) Scan master and power logger
5) Alky

Why only 5?

6) Wideband O2
7) Boxed control arms
8) Adj. Wastegate and/OR RJC boost controller
9) Pypes exhaust

I'll play . . ;)

1. Spring cleaning!
2. Turn boost down!
3. Scan master/PL
4. Fuel pump/HW
5. Fuel pressure gage

Now, “if” I only knew this when I bought the car, I would still be running the old motor. :eek: :biggrin:

Just found some old catalogs in the basement and According to the 1996 1/2 ATR catalog the first 5 mods you should do are:

2 1/2 in cat back exhaust
Throttle body bypass plugs
160 degree thermostat
Hot air deflector
K&N air filter.

I bought so much crap from them I have no idea how they went out of business.

:biggrin: LOL... I think I kept Kenne Bell in business for awhile, myself! And I still never ran the Low 11's his catalog said my car would do with his bolt ons!

Top First Mods

Here's my first Mods: done all at the same time as soon as I bought the car.
There's more than 5 listed here....sorry, was never very good at math!

1) new GSS340M Walbro Fuel Pump & hot wire kit
2) adjustable fuel pressure regulator & adjustable waste gate actuator
3) 42.5 # injectors with matching Turbo Tweak Chip
4) 160 degree thermostat
5) RJC Air Distribution Plenum Plate
6) VDO Boost / Vacuum Gauge
7) Caspers knock gauge with audible alert
8) installed new GM Fuel Filter

I see a lot of guys listing the TT chips as a "first" mod, are they really that beneficial on a stock setup?

I see a lot of guys listing the TT chips as a "first" mod, are they really that beneficial on a stock setup?

YES!!! The drivability and car response with a TT chip is nothing short of wonderful.

Gotta remember, the stock chip or any other chip for that matter, is decades old technology. Eric (TT) stays on top of the latest technology for our cars.:)

1st on my list for these cars is a full tune up with fluid changes. Second would be the scantool. Everything after that is equal.

Back when i first did one (1994) the injectors werent too old or much of a concern so i did the following:

1. Fuel pump with my own hot wire setup
2. M&H racemasters
3. Remove air box and put open air filter
4. hollowed out cat converter
5. Kenne Belle Hi-Lo Pro chip

With 110 Cam 2 in the tank the car ran 12.40@107mph@23psi with converter unlocked. Additionally the turbo, intercooler, plenum and TB were cleaned up a little with a grinder to remove the interruption of air flow and i crushed the fp regulator with a large socket and Ford wrench till i had about 48psi with the vacuum line off. All the above cost about $600 back then including the fuel and could all be done in a one day with basic tools except the tire change. The trans should be re-calibrated before these mods are done. I started using a dvm back in 1996 to read the o2 mv and tuned off that based on knowledge i gained from making passes. I did not shoot for .800-.850mv like usually rec'd. I tuned for power and mph. I regularly kicked the crap out of many 5.0 mustangs, z28 camaros, other TR's, and just about anything in street trim and the car was only good for mid to low 12's. Times have since changed and you will be left there scratching your ass if you think you will be able to beat down todays technology with those simple mods and todays much quicker more powerful cars.

Here is what I felt made the most difference in my car:

Assuming that the car has a spring cleaning,

1: Scanmaster
2: Gut Cat
3: TT Chip (I went with injectors at the time, as well as a AFPR)
4: Pump with Hot Wire
5: LS1 maf (mine was almost junk, and this was a huge improvement)

Next for me is a good posi, and then alky

AS I recall initially;
1-changed all body fluids when bought
2-Hot wire and new pump
2-fuel regulator
3-vacum breaks
Much later/just recently;
4-bastardized 4" Big Mouth intake down to 3" and 9" cone filter
5-TT 93 oct. chip
6-3.5" SS down pipe
7-SS cutout (it came with the DP)
8-2.5" SS Pypes exhaust and muflers too
9-dyno tune when installed Razor Alky kit (mild safe steet tune)
Results..350hp motor, 300hp at wheels, 405 ft of torque, smoother engine, more power and better responce. Almost forgot..add my first speeding ticket ever....HHH!

Next;
scanmaster is a must
guages, maybe
tming chain
possibly lager injectors
LS1 and translator
I'm pushing 70, does it ever end? HHH!