Lock-up -vs Non Lock-up

GregP

This forum is a real wealth of knowledge on the 200-4R trans. However, I've not seen any discussion on the merits of setting the trans up for lock-up or non-lock-up operation. I'm planning to drop the 200-4R into my 65 Corvette (sorry it's not a T-Buick) behind a 550HP or so 408 small block. I've had some trans shops recommend going the non-locking route for a "high HP" application, but would like to poll your experience base for advise.

Thanks - Greg

Thanks guys.

Art Carr's shop is who had recommended not going with a lock-up system to me. I've got 4.86 gears and 29.5" tires so cruise (with no slip) at 70 mph wold be just over 2600 RPM. Motor is spec'd to be 550 HP at 6000 RPM, 570 torque at 4500. 200 RPM at cruise wouldn't bother me for a non-locking unit (it's not a daily driver :D ), but 500 to 1000 RPM would.

I'll be running a Hilborn 8-stack converted to EFI (was delivered just last week). The computer (Accell Gen-7) has provisions for locking a converter if I go that way, I'll have to browse the manual some more to see what the options available are. Current task is figuring out how to integrate a TV linkage into the Hilborn throttle system.

Bruce - will your trans take that torque? Guess I should give you a call (but won't need the trans till the spring, still a LOT of work to go on the car).

- Greg

Bruce's trannie

Although Bruce is getting a little slow on the draw his trannie with the hardened internals still goes past 800 ft lbs of torque.

If you read around this section of the board you'll see that Bruce has a new front planet in the works and it will be ready in time for your project's timeline.

Regarding lockup, you need it! Lower RPM at cruise is only part of the issue you should consider. Higher stall convertors generate a lot of heat, under lockup you can cruise much cooler.

Search the board, lots of "older" discussion on all the above topics. Also look at Bruce's website http://www.2004rperformancecenter.com/

The 200 4R is the best choice for your goal, TH 400s can be made stronger but are power paraisites--need to keep those ponies going to the rear wheels--and PowerGlides only have two speeds.

Good luck on your project!