Logging FP - how/where to mount sending unit?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
For you guys running a fuel pressure sending unit on/near a stock fuel rail........to use for datalogging purposes..... where did you mount the sending unit.......and do you like the way it turned out?

It appears the only legit place is where the line comes into the fuel rail....

I thought about making a block to screw it into... and putting a low profile tee where the schrader valve is... and remote mounting the sending unit maybe under the intake plenum... kinda hidden.....or near where the EGR used to be...... running a short piece of small diameter hardline to the remote mounted block.... more difficult.... but probably more accurate.....and definately has a potential to be better looking....... I've just never seen one done that way.

I was thinking about something similar for my car. I'd be curious to know what type senders are being used.

It needs to mount to the end of the fuel rail just past the pressure regulator. There's a cap on the end of the rail.

Here is where I put mine. Works fine, not sure what the difference between putting it here or on the other end of the rail but it works for me.

Attachments

• newturbo5.jpg
    newturbo5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 216
I was thinking about something similar for my car. I'd be curious to know what type senders are being used.

From the reading I did.... there is an autometer piece that will work.... and Caspers sells a good sending unit suitable for fuel pressure logging. The sensors are around $100 ea. I was told it is not good to try a factory oil pressure sending unit in the fuel line....dangerous and less accurate. Who am I to argue...

It needs to mount to the end of the fuel rail just past the pressure regulator. There's a cap on the end of the rail.

Not allot of extra real estate there.....however... I agree this is the point of the lowest FP in the rail (theoretically).... and should be the best place to datalog from....

IMHO... the remote block.... with a small piece of hard line would be the ticket. Just make up a close nipple with the 4AN connector... tee...and plug the end ....then plumb a small piece of hard line off the branch over to a close by spot where the sensor would be out of the way of harm...

Mine is in the same place as Mark's except mine sticks out the other direction and is basically hidden under the throttle body right there.

That sender also comes with the autometer elec fuel pressure gauge which is what I'm running. Was just a bonus for me that I could log it as well.

Thanks guys!

Cal, I have the sensor already, but need the Caspers harness to work with the XFI. I hear Casper's will be in BG, I'll get everything I need there, I hope.